Can we talk about Childish Gambino for a sec?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Can we talk about Childish Gambino for a sec?

Post by Philaflava »

Crazy video. Visually it's great, but where the fuck are the bars? How can people listen to this without watching it? There are just catchphrases and witty chants no lyrics. I can't help but think Kendrick would have done this more justice. Lupe even. Common. I like Glover, think he is extremely talented but wtf is up?

step one

Re: Can we talk about Childish Gambino for a sec?

Post by step one »

this is how people rap now though right? Hashtag bars. Sounds terrible but probably great if you have the attention span and intellect of an Instagram model.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

I've never heard a Childish Gambino song I like, honestly. His whole vibe is kinda attention whorish in the worst way. I love Community though, for whatever that's worth.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

Also, if I may answer the question posed in the topic:

Let's not :lol:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Doogs wrote:I've never heard a Childish Gambino song I like, honestly. His whole vibe is kinda attention whorish in the worst way. I love Community though, for whatever that's worth.
i guess he dropped this cause nobody's watching atlanta? new season is pretty good but not much happened yet. i thought they were gonna go on tour or something (only watched first 2 eps). i have a feeling they're gonna punk an imitation weeknd character at some point.

yeah this song is pretty dumb, even video is dumb outside the initial shock factor. dude has always sucked as a musician, from biting wayne to singing, doesn't really know what to do. the 21savage & young thug voices in the background are funny tho. he should do a whole album biting a diff artist on every track, that would be a fun novelty.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

He's an idiot who happened to time the release of his new album during Kanye's exile/"mental breakdown"/whatever. There were a few outlets proclaiming he is "the GOAT of his generation"; thats in addition to his being called the "kind of artist Kanye West wants to be." All Glover's doing is filling, or trying to fill, the Kanye Vacuum. He is every bit as narcissistic and deranged too so it might work.

He's not a talented or funny guy of any repute by my estimation. The song and video, content-wise, speaks for themselves: retarded lyrics that elucidate notuing, unremarkable production, some shock footage of black kids being gunned down because I guess it is some profound statement about how nasty guns are, and him dancing while partially-clothed like Bender.

Total dog shit.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

I'd put him in the Eminem or Hopsin category. Self righteous BS that for some reason has a strong following regardless of the quality of the music itself.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Song is infinitely better than if he had "tried" to rap on it. I think it's fits his style more than his rapping or singing, because it doesn't feel like biting and drips with originality. I doubt I'll ever listen to a Childish Gambino album from beginning to end, much less pay for one, but this song/video is without a doubt the best song I've heard from him.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Employee wrote:There were a few outlets proclaiming he is "the GOAT of his generation"; thats in addition to his being called the "kind of artist Kanye West wants to be."
you need to read some different outlets my friend. try logging off, and getting some fresh air.

in dong lover's defense, while he is a terrible+uninspired musician on all fronts, he is a competent actor. a single threat.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I’m hoping his Lando will be better than his music.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

No.......just....no. Just no.

Image ImageImage
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
Employee wrote:There were a few outlets proclaiming he is "the GOAT of his generation"; thats in addition to his being called the "kind of artist Kanye West wants to be."
you need to read some different outlets my friend. try logging off, and getting some fresh air.

in dong lover's defense, while he is a terrible+uninspired musician on all fronts, he is a competent actor. a single threat.
Bitch, please.

Had Kanye dropped the same video, he would have been lambasted; musically, the song is as bad as Kanye's "Lift Yourself" ( :pause: ). Donald Glover is currently on the expressway to accolades because he is doing nothing new. He is blatantly ripping off Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, A$AP Rocky, J. Cole etc. Trafficking in tired, racial tropes because they will generate clicks in a society that now exists purely for the production of said tired, racial tropes.

This article is what initially tripped my gag reflex: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... t-save-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ithe-levels of delusions of grandeur; even more repulsive is his fixation with race. It's like the way most cis normative dudes talk about tits. An entertainer having an inflated sense of self is par for the course. But this guy is the fucking mystical, plastic bag from American Beauty.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Also worth noting: he is trying to put out his STATEMENT ALBUM; whatever would be the equivalent of, say, To Pimp A Butterfly.

Now, I'm no Kendrick Lamar fan by a long shot, but he dropped that shit like a bomb to great success. That is what Donald Glover is trying to do, but he is making it so painfully obvious that I'm not sure why anyone gives a fuck.

If Kanye was truly releasing 19,742 albums in June, Glover wouldn't be doing shit except waiting for all that noise to die down. But now that Kanye is as despised in America as Trump's hand size, he is capitalizing on Kanye's weakened position to maximum effect.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Employee wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:

Bitch, please.

Had Kanye dropped the same video, he would have been lambasted; musically, the song is as bad as Kanye's "Lift Yourself" ( :pause: ). Donald Glover is currently on the expressway to accolades because he is doing nothing new. He is blatantly ripping off Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, A$AP Rocky, J. Cole etc. Trafficking in tired, racial tropes because they will generate clicks in a society that now exists purely for the production of said tired, racial tropes.

This article is what initially tripped my gag reflex: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... t-save-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ithe-levels of delusions of grandeur; even more repulsive is his fixation with race. It's like the way most cis normative dudes talk about tits. An entertainer having an inflated sense of self is par for the course. But this guy is the fucking mystical, plastic bag from American Beauty.
you don't like tits now? what's going on with you?
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Employee wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:

Bitch, please.

yeah i mean i'm the one who said his music sucks, and he's a biter. who are you arguing with?
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Trying to be respectful to your provincial pronounz.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

:puke:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

insider info: bino crushed pecs for 2 weeks leading up to the shoot. rumour is he worked his way up to 45s.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

He looks more like he's lactating.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

I mean you're talking about bars and shit...but I'm going to have to assume you didn't check his last album? There's zero rapping on it. He's not really a rapper anymore. For the record I hated him as a rapper. But the Awaken my love album kinda came out of nowhere. It plays like a parliament/prince album. I dug it. This video is awesome. Songs whatever.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i didn't dig it, but his singing was serviceable (unlike his rapping)
1. Nas
2. Drake

artMajor

Post by artMajor »

Dude can act though... Teddy Perkins > this thread

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

the dead poet wrote:I mean you're talking about bars and shit...but I'm going to have to assume you didn't check his last album? There's zero rapping on it. He's not really a rapper anymore. For the record I hated him as a rapper. But the Awaken my love album kinda came out of nowhere. It plays like a parliament/prince album. I dug it. This video is awesome. Songs whatever.

Exactly this

His last album is incredibly good. I’ve liked maybe 1 song of him as a rapper but his last album was funky and soulful and I’m hoping that’s the lane he stays in. I’m surprised people look to him for rapping after he won a Grammy for singing. I still play his last album a lot.

Also agree about this song. Video is amazing, song is meh at best

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Cryptic One wrote:
the dead poet wrote:I mean you're talking about bars and shit...but I'm going to have to assume you didn't check his last album? There's zero rapping on it. He's not really a rapper anymore. For the record I hated him as a rapper. But the Awaken my love album kinda came out of nowhere. It plays like a parliament/prince album. I dug it. This video is awesome. Songs whatever.

Exactly this

His last album is incredibly good. I’ve liked maybe 1 song of him as a rapper but his last album was funky and soulful and I’m hoping that’s the lane he stays in. I’m surprised people look to him for rapping after he won a Grammy for singing. I still play his last album a lot.

I am another Black genius that co-signs these sentiments:

1) 'Awaken My Love' is not a rap album at all. And 'Awaken My Love' is one of the best albums of last year, bar none. Modern musical masterpiece, pretty much.
2) Don't care for Childish Gambino's "rapping" on this song at all, it's weak and cliche as fuck even when it's trying to slip in the lowest possible amount of awareness and remain tethered to the video...
3) ...because the video is a massive tableaux of multi-faceted meanings, images and ideas mashed up into a fucking stunning visual offering. I never want to hear the song without the video attached. I barely want to hear the song, actually. Play "Me and Your Mama" instead, mmmkay thanks.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

Exactly this

I am another Black genius that co-signs these sentiments:

1) 'Awaken My Love' is not a rap album at all. And 'Awaken My Love' is one of the best albums of last year, bar none. Modern musical masterpiece, pretty much.
2) Don't care for Childish Gambino's "rapping" on this song at all, it's weak and cliche as fuck even when it's trying to slip in the lowest possible amount of awareness and remain tethered to the video...
3) ...because the video is a massive tableaux of multi-faceted meanings, images and ideas mashed up into a fucking stunning visual offering. I never want to hear the song without the video attached. I barely want to hear the song, actually. Play "Me and Your Mama" instead, mmmkay thanks.
:retard:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Song is pretty pointless without the video. Heard it on the radio today and it's basically useless in that medium.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Never been a fan of his music but this season of Atlanta has been great.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://www.wired.com/story/donald-glov ... est-music/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 2014, a Rolling Stone poll declared Bob Dylan’s "Masters of War" the best protest song of our time. Recorded in April of 1963, during that fierce spell of racial and economic tumult, Dylan, in his folksy pragmatism, rages against the Cold War and the military industrial complex, singing: "You play with my world/ Like it’s your little toy." Corralled by social margins during that same era, the tenor of resistance for artists like Sam Cooke ("A Change Is Gonna Come") and James Brown ("Say It Loud—I’m Black and I’m Proud") was voiced in anthems of anti-racism and self-pride. Out of the 1970 Kent State shootings—where the National Guard killed four students during a school protest—Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young recorded the stringent "Ohio."

Donald Glover’s trap gospel "This Is America" is a piece of trickster art that soundly rebukes the natural DNA of the protest song and constructs it into a freakish chronicle of imprisoned torment. In the dozen or so times I’ve watched the 4-minute video, which was released last Saturday and has already amassed 50 million views on YouTube, I kept thinking how much it reminded me of Kara Walker’s grand Antebellum silhouettes, which juggle themes of the grotesque—torture, death, slavery—in one graceful sweep. ...

It’s tough work, blood-soaked and vacant redemption, but—and here’s where the artifice begins to reveal traces of brilliance— ...

"This is America," Gambino insists. "Don’t catch you slippin’ up/ Look at how I’m livin’ now/ Police be trippin’ now." The lyrics are unadorned, raw, hauntingly spiritual. ...

What "This Is America" ends up becoming is one of the most unconventional protest songs of the modern era. ...

And in this, his ultimate trick is his most nightmarish. Throughout the video, Gambino and the school children are the lone people untouched, dancing with the history of Jim Crow alive in their feet, contorting and romping, faces plastered with sly, elastic grins. But it turns out to be a mirage—in the final flash, Gambino’s character is seen manically fleeing down a dark hall, a mob at his back. With harrowing clarity one last note boils, then pops: even when you play their game, they still turn on you. "This Is America," unlike so much protest music, ends as it began—with death, pain, blood. We never know what exactly comes of Gambino, but Young Thug’s closing lyrics bear the impact of a dagger. "You just a big dawg, yeah/I kenneled him in the backyard."

Give me a fuckin' break. That is the equivalent of a textual blowjob.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://pigeonsandplanes.com/news/2018/ ... is-america" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“We reduced it to a feeling―a very black feeling, a very violent feeling, but also a very fun feeling," he says. "If you’re at the club and there’s a shooting outside, you still have to go get food afterwards and you have to compartmentalize that. He adds, "Being marginalized is compartmentalizing trauma to exist in the world. I cant stop being black because of trauma and discrimination. I still have to live life and forge on."
More genius-level analysis from a douchebag in the 1%.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://thegrio.com/2018/05/10/awkward- ... black-man/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From awkward Black guy to woke AF
LOLWTF.