"ye"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

"ye"

Post by Employee »

Shit's terrible save for the last two-and-a-half-minutes on "I Thought About Killing You."

:fail:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: "ye"

Post by Philaflava »

Kids See Ghost isn't much better.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Kids See Ghost isn't much better.
Still need to peep that one; the expectations are low :pause: .

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Edit - didn't realise Ye was the album title.

Not listened to this album. Unlikely to listen to this album.
Last edited by Y@k Bollox on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Kids See Ghosts doesn't dip as badly as ye, but that doesn't stop me from finding it a mediocre offering.

So far, Daytona is the only release with any real replay value.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Spartan wrote:Kids See Ghosts doesn't dip as badly as ye, but that doesn't stop me from finding it a mediocre offering.

First track on Kids See Ghost is cool, but the rest is pretty flaccid wang.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Daytona > Kids See Ghosts > Ye

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I enjoy “Freee” on the Kudi shit. That’s it between the two. I really hope Kanye saved the best stuff for Nas...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

blastmaster wrote:I enjoy “Freee” on the Kudi shit. That’s it between the two. I really hope Kanye saved the best stuff for Nas...
I'm looking forward to the Nas album, but I'm def not setting my expectations too high. Also, it's only going to be 7 songs.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I like all of them and can't wait for this Nas shit.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

I only fully enjoy "All Mine" and "No Mistakes" off Ye. The dis to Drake is awesome cause it's like a suicide shot in the face like 'I like you but fuck you and fuck me too cause I like me'. "Too close to snipe you/truth told, I like you!" is actually classic. Still: the first song is a dangerously irresponsible rant that could have been done a thousand different ways. The album is a sonic patchwork evolution compilation of his biggest albums in a variety of fleeting moments and it's vaguely interesting... but fuck your lazy unfocused ass calling 7 recordings an album, some of these "songs" are 2 minutes or only have 1 verse. Shit's only 21 minutes long or whatever? Some traditions are good to keep, like a 10+ track album or at least 2 singles with concepts and choruses and maybe *gasp* three full verses. I KNOW I'M CRAY. Meh, just another random opinion about this weird ass creation and chaotic fuckin moment in Kanye's career

it's colorful though
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:it's colorful though
:ghey:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... ard-200-ye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kanye West Earns Eighth No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 Chart With 'Ye'

He's earned all eight consecutively, tying Eminem and The Beatles for the longest streak of No. 1s.
Kanye West lands his eighth No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as his latest studio effort, Ye, bows atop the list.

The set -- which was released on June 1 via G.O.O.D. Music/Def Jam Recordings -- earned 208,000 equivalent album units in the week ending June 7, according to Nielsen Music, and is the fifth-largest week for an album in 2018. Of Ye’s starting sum, 85,000 were in traditional album sales.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new June 16-dated chart (where West debuts at No. 1) will be posted in full on Billboard's websites on Tuesday, June 12.

Let’s review some of the notable statistics associated with Ye’s No. 1 arrival:

Kanye West’s Eighth No. 1 Album: West lands his eighth No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with Ye. He ties Eminem for the second-most No. 1 albums among hip-hop acts in the history of the chart. Only JAY-Z is ahead of them, as he owns 14 chart-toppers. (Among all acts, The Beatles have the most No. 1s, with 19.)

Record-Tying Eight No. 1s in a Row: West has earned all eight of his No. 1s consecutively. Every single one of West’s chart entries, except for his first album, 2004's The College Dropout, have debuted at No. 1. (The College Dropout debuted and peaked at No. 2.) He matches Eminem (2000-2018, a still-active streak) and The Beatles (1965-68) as the only acts to tally eight straight No. 1 albums. Eminem also matches West in terms of eight consecutive No. 1 debuts. (The Beatles’ stretch of eight No. 1s in a row in the '60s did not include any titles that debuted at No. 1.)

Fifth-Biggest Week of 2018: As Ye starts with 208,000 equivalent album units, it logs the fifth-biggest week for an album this year. The only larger frames were earned by the debut weeks of Post Malone’s beerbongs & bentleys (461,000), J. Cole’s KOD (397,000), Justin Timberlake’s Man of the Woods (293,000) and Cardi B’s Invasion of Privacy (255,000 units).

Seventh-Largest Streaming Debut Week Ever: Of Ye’s first week units, 120,000 were SEA units. That sum equates to 180.1 million on-demand audio streams for the set’s seven songs during the tracking week (as each SEA units equals 1,500 on-demand audio streams). Ye’s streaming launch is the seventh-biggest debut streaming week for an album. That’s a pretty notable feat, considering Ye only has seven songs. Thus, each tune, on average, garnered 25.7 million on-demand audio streams. The only album to tally a larger per-track streaming average was J. Cole’s KOD earlier this year. During its opening frame, the 12-song album earned 322.7 million on-demand audio streams, resulting in a 26.9 million per-track average.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

It was pretty disappointing to see that Kanye West pulled the difficult move of getting Yasiin Bey onto the Kids See Ghost album, and then to hear that the song is a mediocre affair that isn't worth listening to much made me go :bunk:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://pigeonsandplanes.com/news/2018/ ... n-52-weeks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last week, Kanye West ended his run of five albums in five weeks for Pusha T, Kid Cudi, Nas, Teyana Taylor, and himself. Apparently the productive streak has him inspired to keep setting ambitious goals for himself, because now he's playing around with the idea of making 52 records in 52 weeks.

New York Times writer Jon Caramanica recently spent three days with West for an in-depth profile, and he followed it up with a Q&A on NYT's Popcast on Wednesday. During the podcast, Caramanica mentioned, "He said he wants to get a place in Wyoming and he thinks he wants to spend more time there. He told me at one point he wants to make 52 records in 52 weeks. Take that for what you will."

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/kanye-we ... thing-but/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kanye’s G.O.O.D. Music Rollout Was Anything But

Before any new music was heard, the Wyoming campaign was stained by West’s support of Donald Trump and suggestion that remaining enslaved for 400 years “sounded” like a choice, as well as Kelis’ unaddressed accusations of physical and mental abuse during her marriage to Nas. There was an expectation that some of these matters would be clarified on record (perhaps because Pusha-T suggested they would be), but instead the music talked around the controversy and ranged mostly from inconsistent to infuriating in its slap-dashed quality. To make matters worse, the albums’ jumbled rollout relied just as heavily on the G.O.O.D. faith of fans as the prelude did.

How did someone who once nailed the serialized release strategy miss the mark this much? West’s G.O.O.D. Fridays series, the runway to 2010’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, brimmed with vigor and purpose. But perhaps because West felt he had something to prove after his post-VMAs-Swiftgate exile, the strategy around one of the decade’s landmark albums was tighter from top to bottom. G.O.O.D. Fridays produced new music on a weekly basis for months leading up to (and even beyond) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s release, generating excitement through previews of the album and stellar loosies. That was “dragon energy.” By comparison, the Wyoming rollout felt random and rushed. There was also zero consistency as to when the albums were uploaded to streaming services during release weekend, leading some to believe they were finished that last minute. While Kanye’s great Western oeuvre certainly won’t register as a commercial failure, it’s evidence that no one is too big to fail creatively. ...

Released fourth in the rollout, Nasir is as much a victim of Nas’ inertia as Kanye’s. Part of why his previous album, 2012’s Life Is Good, excelled was its concept: the legendary rapper with the common man’s problems. Nas owned his mistakes, primarily in his marriage, and placed them front and center. For him, it was a fresh narrative—something Nasir lacks altogether. Here, one of the genre’s most vivid lyricists has almost nothing to say, drifting with little precision from ahistorical declarations, police shootings, yacht-rap bloviations, and The Godfather: Part ll. And he definitely does not address Kelis’ accusations. Moreover, Nas’ lack of chemistry with West’s production further renders Nasir incongruous and flat. Its release was delayed by nearly a day, and less than 24 hours after its arrival, Everything Is Love, the third act of Beyoncé and JAY-Z’s marital drama, devoured its buzz entirely. In the grand scheme, Nasir doesn’t just feel stale—it feels wholly unnecessary. ...

While it’s impressive that West made five albums that sound nothing alike, these are five separate albums—positioning them as a “playlist” is more disingenuous than Drake describing his sprawling More Life as such last year. Using that word attempts to justify the lack of glue holding the albums together. This is smoke and mirrors that treats something haphazard as calculated; something lackadaisical as dynamic; and, worst, of all, something uninspired as innovative. The rollout’s inertia- driven commercial success enables not only a lack of effort, but a lack of creativity.

Where Kanye West used to inspire through his recalcitrance, he’s reached a place where his controversy overshadows his artistry. The buck doesn’t stop with the allure of the initial idea, it extends to the execution. And since this was ill executed, neither West’s dominance on streaming nor his record-tying eighth consecutive No. 1 album can eclipse the comprehensive artistic failure. West’s well of ingenuity used to seem boundless, but the Wyoming sessions have shown what happens when that vision is wielded carelessly: you find yourself wishing the rodeo would end already.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^ snitchfork has had an uncontrollable, chemically induced, painful erection for kanye ever since he triggered them with his maga hat selfie. the rollout was successful because he went #1. end of story.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Spartan wrote:Kids See Ghosts doesn't dip as badly as ye, but that doesn't stop me from finding it a mediocre offering.

KSG>ye>daytona

last 3 tracks of daytona are hard, but the first 4 are disposable. got into the rhythm near the end.

KSG & ye are great projects front to back, esp KSG. the beat on the title track is enormous, similar to "numbers on the boards". the verses aren't always on 10 but it's more about the vibe.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Daytona
Kids See Ghosts
Ye

In that order. Good overall output from Ye in my opinion.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

The best song G.O.O.D released this summer is #actually Valee & Jeremih's Womp Womp.