Where Do You Stream Music?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Where Do You Stream Music?

Post by stype_ones »

I'm currently spending basically $20 a month between Spotify and Tidal. Am I doing this wrong? I do this so I can get the best content via Tidal and the most broad search query via Spotify. I'm an Apple head but as of yet don't fuck with Apple music. What is everyone into these days?

Y@k Bollox

Re: Where Do You Stream Music?

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Spotify, but I think if you listen to a lot of hip hop you still need some form of offline collection. Constantly finding that things aren't there, and not even very obscure or older albums. I still have a massive MP3 library on a NAS drive and Sonos access that and Spotify.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I haven't tried TIDAL yet but am heavy on Spotify. I'm not sure what's the difference between having the two besides some of the exclusives that TIDAL offers every now and then. I'm sticking with Spotify.

In general, I stream from multiple sources. I went from regular .mp3 file to using all those file sharing sites that shut down a few years ago, then to Podomatic, YouTube, Mixcloud, Soundcloud and BlogTalkRadio. I basically use a combination of all these each month. I like certain online record stores that have their own streaming platform like Juno.uk. That's a good wealth of listening too.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Spotify for me

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I just started streaming music less than a year ago and it seemed that Apple had quite a bit of stuff that Spotify didn't, so I went with Apple. No regrets so far.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

always found major services to be unsatisfying in their selection and just kinda shitty in general

stream directly from the artists via bandcamp/soundcloud when you can, download, use youtube's deep catalog of rarer shit that you can't find on legit services. if all this fails I go to spotify, but chances are if it's not where I already looked it's not gonna be there as well
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

step one

Post by step one »

Not really into the idea of paying a monthly fee to listen to music I already own and I've pretty much lost interest in new music in the last 18 months.

Until absolutely everything is on a single platform I don't see the point.

Related: apparently Vagina Diner has just been added to Spotify
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I bought a computer so I wouldn't have to pay for music, so all of this is insane to me. :joeybats:
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:always found major services to be unsatisfying in their selection and just kinda shitty in general

stream directly from the artists via bandcamp/soundcloud when you can, download, use youtube's deep catalog of rarer shit that you can't find on legit services. if all this fails I go to spotify, but chances are if it's not where I already looked it's not gonna be there as well
Youtube music just launched. Check it out...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/25/1739 ... sic-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

My main issue is I really need to take the time to make my itunes immaculate. I have so many gigs of music, and it is actually pretty organized in my computers but the thought of dumping it all into itunes and tagging everything properly etc gives me a massive amount of anxiety. It would take me months to accomplish that goal with my current schedule.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

On a three-month Tidal deal currently; their design makes Spotify's look as sad as The Sex Life of Dids.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

step one wrote:
Until absolutely everything is on a single platform I don't see the point.
Hey, Cutting Edge Jungle Riddimz Guy, try YouTube.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Employee wrote:On a three-month Tidal deal currently; their design makes Spotify's look as sad as The Sex Life of Dids.
Yeah tidal looks dope but it seems buggy to me when navigating the overall interface and Spotify has so many more albums from what I can tell. I just joined Tidal recently so haven't gone that deep (pause) but that is the way it seems. Gonna take a look over this weekend to see if it is really worth it.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

tidal... said nobody ever
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Increasingly spotify. Used to love soundcloud but the app is a pain in the ass, along with the constant reposts.

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Just recently got Spotify premium and I have to say it is worth it. I need to figure out how to use it at home, I have a PS4 I'm assuming there is an app somewhere. I just have it on my phone right now so I can bump it in my car. I supposed I could hook up ear buds and listen if I wanted.

Hush

Post by Hush »

stypeones wrote:My main issue is I really need to take the time to make my itunes immaculate. I have so many gigs of music, and it is actually pretty organized in my computers but the thought of dumping it all into itunes and tagging everything properly etc gives me a massive amount of anxiety. It would take me months to accomplish that goal with my current schedule.
This. Was meaning to get around to this for years but since I started using Spotify, I haven't really looked back. The idea of managing an MP3 collection now just seems like a waste of time. I still have all of my MP3s backed up though just in case.

Plan B was going to be uploading all the obscure stuff not on Spotify to Google Music (free 50,000 track limit) so I can stream from the cloud, but I haven't gotten around to that either.

Besides Spotify, I've also tried the following services:

Beats/Apple Music - Wasn't really interested in Beats1. The human curated playlists were cool for a bit but started to see the same ones recommended over and over. You can upload your own songs to iCloud but the track matching was sometimes spotty.
Deezer - Other than 'Flow' which is a radio station tailored to your overall listening habits, nothing else really set it apart. You can upload 2000 of your own songs.
Google Play Music - Seems like the perfect service on paper (access to their library which is comparable to other services + upload 50,000 of your own tracks to fill in the gaps) but no social features and issues with gapless playback and volume normalization.
Amazon Music Unlimited - Again, nothing to really set it apart. Discounted for Prime members, but this wasn't enough to make me switch.

Reasons I'll probably stick with Spotify indefinitely:

Full integration with Echo/Alexa devices, as well as Xbox, PS4, Waze navigation app, etc.
Gapless playback and normalization are the best of all services I've used
ios app is snappy and easy to navigate
Social and music discovery features
If I decide to take a break from subbing I don't lose access to all my playlists (can still listen w/ ads on desktop and shuffle on mobile)
Seems to have *most* of the stuff I need to listen to

Never tried Tidal so I can't comment on that.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Hush wrote:
stypeones wrote:My main issue is I really need to take the time to make my itunes immaculate. I have so many gigs of music, and it is actually pretty organized in my computers but the thought of dumping it all into itunes and tagging everything properly etc gives me a massive amount of anxiety. It would take me months to accomplish that goal with my current schedule.
This. Was meaning to get around to this for years but since I started using Spotify, I haven't really looked back. The idea of managing an MP3 collection now just seems like a waste of time. I still have all of my MP3s backed up though just in case.

Plan B was going to be uploading all the obscure stuff not on Spotify to Google Music (free 50,000 track limit) so I can stream from the cloud, but I haven't gotten around to that either.

Besides Spotify, I've also tried the following services:

Beats/Apple Music - Wasn't really interested in Beats1. The human curated playlists were cool for a bit but started to see the same ones recommended over and over. You can upload your own songs to iCloud but the track matching was sometimes spotty.
Deezer - Other than 'Flow' which is a radio station tailored to your overall listening habits, nothing else really set it apart. You can upload 2000 of your own songs.
Google Play Music - Seems like the perfect service on paper (access to their library which is comparable to other services + upload 50,000 of your own tracks to fill in the gaps) but no social features and issues with gapless playback and volume normalization.
Amazon Music Unlimited - Again, nothing to really set it apart. Discounted for Prime members, but this wasn't enough to make me switch.

Reasons I'll probably stick with Spotify indefinitely:

Full integration with Echo/Alexa devices, as well as Xbox, PS4, Waze navigation app, etc.
Gapless playback and normalization are the best of all services I've used
ios app is snappy and easy to navigate
Social and music discovery features
If I decide to take a break from subbing I don't lose access to all my playlists (can still listen w/ ads on desktop and shuffle on mobile)
Seems to have *most* of the stuff I need to listen to

Never tried Tidal so I can't comment on that.
You say you have a huge mp3 collection and I'm sure Spotify doesn't cover some of the more obscure mp3s you have, so how do you listen to those mp3s on your phone, or do you just not have access to them on your phone at all? If so, doesn't that annoy you at least slightly?

I use Spotify and soundcloud sometimes but I'm still mostly a local storage/iTunes guy

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I can't speak for Hush, but yes, it is highly annoying. I need to really just take the time to start slowly uploading all the stuff not on spotify. Just hard my daughter takes up a lot of my free time on the weekends and when I do have a moment the last thing I want to do is arrange my itunes.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

I still download everything. If I like it and it's on vinyl I'll buy it. I got around 2 terabytes of shit and it's basically like hoarding but at least it isn't taking up physical space. One of these day's i'll break down and get on spotify but haven't done so yet.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Apple Music ride or die. Ecosystem bruh. And the DatPiff app for gay stuff.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

aeokq wrote:Just recently got Spotify premium and I have to say it is worth it. I need to figure out how to use it at home, I have a PS4 I'm assuming there is an app somewhere. I just have it on my phone right now so I can bump it in my car. I supposed I could hook up ear buds and listen if I wanted.
def a spotify ps4 app... its all i use man... ps4 with spotify and youtube app is really all you need in 2018
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Loving the varied answers in this thread, it's just proof that there still is no definitive right choice.

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

spotify for now but I'm noticing Tidals growth

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote: You say you have a huge mp3 collection and I'm sure Spotify doesn't cover some of the more obscure mp3s you have, so how do you listen to those mp3s on your phone, or do you just not have access to them on your phone at all? If so, doesn't that annoy you at least slightly?
I have the Spotify app on my phone with some albums, but also the Music app. And yeah, it's fucking annoying. There is a way to add MP3s from your computer to your Spotify app but I never get round to doing it. Probably should.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iP ... -p/1478047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Home is fine as Sonos searches whatever services I've linked up and it'll do a global search. So if it's not in my MP3 library it'll find it on Spotify, and vice versa.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Forgot to mention Archive, WFMU, WNYU and all the other good .org's out there.

https://archive.org/details/turnupthefuckinbass2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Sebastion Shaw wrote:spotify for now but I'm noticing Tidals growth
:pause:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

blastmaster wrote: the DatPiff app for gay stuff.
used to have both DP and Live Mixtapes apps on my phone and they're both so hilariously bad in a way that's so perfectly fitting to the nature of the sites themselves
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

drizzle wrote:
blastmaster wrote: the DatPiff app for gay stuff.
used to have both DP and Live Mixtapes apps on my phone and they're both so hilariously bad in a way that's so perfectly fitting to the nature of the sites themselves

Absolutely! It’s comforting.

Hush

Post by Hush »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:You say you have a huge mp3 collection and I'm sure Spotify doesn't cover some of the more obscure mp3s you have, so how do you listen to those mp3s on your phone, or do you just not have access to them on your phone at all? If so, doesn't that annoy you at least slightly?
That's what my 'Plan B' above was. I was planning to upload stuff missing from Spotify's catalog to free Google Music storage so I can use the Play Music app to stream that stuff from my phone. The most obvious draw back is not being able to have Spotify and Google stuff together in the same app/playlists. I was going to do this long-term and upload stuff to Google as I discovered it was missing from Spotify, but just haven't been that motivated to mess with it.

I'm sure this is some kind of music discovery/freedom sin, but I find that if something isn't on Spotify, I generally can't be bothered to find another way to listen to it.

If Spotify offered cloud storage for your own MP3s it would be the perfect service.

For those that are content with having their own collection and have <50,000 songs, free Google Music is probably the best option for uploading and listening to your collection from the cloud.

I've considered cancelling Spotify and going this route before, but I'm too attached to being able to listen to new albums/guilty pleasures/random shit on a whim without purchasing music or fucking with illegal downloads.