Redman appreciation thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ric

Redman appreciation thread

Post by ric »

I gotta say dude does not get enough credit for just being able to grab a microphone and talk some shit

El Nino is one of the most underrated squad albums of all time. I was one of the few in the Pacific Northwest of my age who had all his shit until my cds were jacked. Guys persona is indelible for those who can appreciate shit. Dude could do gritty could do polished could do crazy could do baffoonish could do just straight shit talking ride around music

Respekt

Spartan

Re: Redman appreciation thread

Post by Spartan »

Rap legend and definitely appreciated, but I haven't heard anything remotely memorable from him since Coc Back ( :pause: ):

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

He put out "I Love Hip Hop" (which NEEDED a second/third verse) and "Ya!" in the last few weeks

they are cool... but not TIME TIME FOR SUM TIME FOR SUM AKSHUN level
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Redman is one of the greatest but suffered a horrible 2nd half career with extremely half-assed projects. He was too focused on having a click or putting out others (Saukrates), when he should have just focused on himself and kept with the same formula that was winning. He has shown he still has it like stealing the show on the last Wu album, but he just doesn't get the right production anymore and he can never seem to write a full song. It's like he has the worst ADHD.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Agreed on the later half of his career being weak. Obviously doesn't discredit his early run, but hasn't put out a solid project, that I've checked out at least, since Blackout 2 in '09.

This remains one of his greatest verses of all time.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Had a legendary run to start his career, but suffered one of the worst fall offs of all time.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:Redman is one of the greatest but suffered a horrible 2nd half career with extremely half-assed projects. He was too focused on having a click or putting out others (Saukrates), when he should have just focused on himself and kept with the same formula that was winning. He has shown he still has it like stealing the show on the last Wu album, but he just doesn't get the right production anymore and he can never seem to write a full song. It's like he has the worst ADHD.
SHUT YO MOUF acting like SAUKRATES was the worst dude Redman wasted time trying to put on. I think Reddi Roc, E3 and Icarus are far more frivolous weed carriers, sorry to say.

Saukrates is a fucking bonafied hip hop triple threat of talent and produced "Heaven" aka the majestically glorious grand finale song on Nasir's "My moms just died" opus aka The God's Son album.

You're right about Redman not having the attention span to finish a song anymore tho. Strange.

But he's not sure which lane he wants to be in. Also it seems like he's not working with many people from the Hit Squad era, nor new school cats. He seems kinda isolated when he drops new music.

It was interesting when he jumped on that jungle stuff, to me but he rocked the most watered down raggajungle beats. Shouda went ham on them shits. He should try a concept album.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Redman is one of the greatest but suffered a horrible 2nd half career with extremely half-assed projects. He was too focused on having a click or putting out others (Saukrates), when he should have just focused on himself and kept with the same formula that was winning. He has shown he still has it like stealing the show on the last Wu album, but he just doesn't get the right production anymore and he can never seem to write a full song. It's like he has the worst ADHD.
SHUT YO MOUF acting like SAUKRATES was the worst dude Redman wasted time trying to put on. I think Reddi Roc, E3 and Icarus are far more frivolous weed carriers, sorry to say.

Saukrates is a fucking bonafied hip hop triple threat of talent and produced "Heaven" aka the majestically glorious grand finale song on Nasir's "My moms just died" opus aka The God's Son album.

You're right about Redman not having the attention span to finish a song anymore tho. Strange.

But he's not sure which lane he wants to be in. Also it seems like he's not working with many people from the Hit Squad era, nor new school cats. He seems kinda isolated when he drops new music.

It was interesting when he jumped on that jungle stuff, to me but he rocked the most watered down raggajungle beats. Shouda went ham on them shits. He should try a concept album.
I like Sauk. :ohcanada: just saying he put more energy in helping him blow up stateside than he did his own career.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Redman is one of the most consistent of all time. I disagree with the El Nino rating though. It was a little disappointing to me. If it hit 2 or 3 years earlier with erick’s production style from 94-96 it would have been better imo. He went full cookie cutter mode 97-mid 2000’s with the beats. Can’t forget Reggie Noble on the boards. He is a severely underrated producer

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Two classic/borderline classic albums and couple dozen great features and then he became a cartoon.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

madstadik wrote:Redman is one of the most consistent of all time.
YUP. I always rated him this high. And this is how I see it now:

Redman is one of the most consistently GOOD MCs of all time.
But Black Thought is one of the most consistently GREAT MCs of all time.

Redman sure didn't make a lot of classics in the 2000's, but he made decent hip hop that didn't tarnish his legacy greatly. He is like 47 years old actually and this 2018 stuff is decently rejuvenated Reggie Noble music. He can't make a third verse to save his life apparently though. Still I ain't mad at Redman's rap music lately :cas: :cheers: :wutang:

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
madstadik wrote:Redman is one of the most consistent of all time.
YUP. I always rated him this high. And this is how I see it now:

Redman is one of the most consistently GOOD MCs of all time.
But Black Thought is one of the most consistently GREAT MCs of all time.

Redman sure didn't make a lot of classics in the 2000's, but he made decent hip hop that didn't tarnish his legacy greatly. He is like 47 years old actually and this 2018 stuff is decently rejuvenated Reggie Noble music. He can't make a third verse to save his life apparently though. Still I ain't mad at Redman's rap music lately :cas: :cheers: :wutang:
Not to mention Red’s worst verse is better than your entire catalogue/life.