Andre 3000 drops ether on ATCQ and shares some sad truths

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Andre 3000 drops ether on ATCQ and shares some sad truths

Post by Philaflava »

https://www.gq.com/story/andre-3000-out ... rso=trueic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As André explains to GQ, he doesn’t feel connected to today’s musical landscape:

I hate going to the studio. So what’s got me going once again is me being excited about other artists. I’ve been working on producing a few artists. A couple projects. But here’s the crazy thing: I don’t have the pulse anymore. Rhythms change every generation. The intensity and the drums change. And I’m not on the pulse. I can’t pretend. It’s kinda like watching your uncle dance. So the only thing I can do is this kind of novelty, off thing for them.

He further notes that he’s seen many of his life-long collaborators fall victim to the changing tastes of the music industry:

For me, hip-hop is about freshness. You can always hop, but you won’t always be hip. At a certain point, you just won’t. And this is how I know: All the people I grew up with, none of them, not a one, is thriving. Not a one. So that tells me something. I gotta watch that, as someone that’s come in the game and has loved these guys. I mean, loved them. Loved them. But the potency just moves on… It’s Mayweather. He knows. He’s like, ‘Yeah, I can fight maybe three more of ’em. But I’m slowing down, and I see these young kids coming up and I was them.’ And at a certain point, no matter how Mayweather you are, I think it’s classy to be like, ‘You know what?’ [brushes off hands]

Financially, are you in a place where money doesn’t affect your decisions about releasing music?
Well, I can’t say that I don’t buy a lot of things. And I do a lot for family and friends. But it’s not like I’ve got five cars and three big houses, I’m supporting all these women, or I gotta support my coke habit. So right now, I don’t have to worry about those things. But who knows what it’ll be in five, ten years.

Part of me just wants to say, Come on, man! Put out more music! Let us decide if it’s worth it.
I’m with that, because I want to hear both sides of it. But if I were to drop dead right now, honestly, we’ve done it. And that’s the truth. You know what I mean? Here’s the only thing that I would regret: Man, you know, there is still that album that you wanted to do.

The secret reality of OutKast is that while Big Boi was “street,” and you guys were marketed as “the player and the poet,” he’s always been super on it.
Big Boi is smart as fuck. We went to the same high school. I dropped out in 11th grade. Big Boi graduated with honors. When you watch early OutKast videos, Big Boi’s the leader. He always had the confidence, where I was kind of like the shy one. Big Boi can rap better than me—I always said that. If somebody said, “Pick who you want from OutKast to go to battle with you,” it wouldn’t be me. ’Cause like, what I’ma do? Say some mind shit? You can’t have thoughts in a battle—nobody gives a shit about that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Andre 3000 drops ether on ATCQ and shares some sad truth

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote:https://www.gq.com/story/andre-3000-out ... rso=trueic.

As André explains to GQ, he doesn’t feel connected to today’s musical landscape:

I hate going to the studio. So what’s got me going once again is me being excited about other artists. I’ve been working on producing a few artists. A couple projects. But here’s the crazy thing: I don’t have the pulse anymore. Rhythms change every generation. The intensity and the drums change. And I’m not on the pulse. I can’t pretend. It’s kinda like watching your uncle dance. So the only thing I can do is this kind of novelty, off thing for them.

He further notes that he’s seen many of his life-long collaborators fall victim to the changing tastes of the music industry:

For me, hip-hop is about freshness. You can always hop, but you won’t always be hip. At a certain point, you just won’t. And this is how I know: All the people I grew up with, none of them, not a one, is thriving. Not a one. So that tells me something. I gotta watch that, as someone that’s come in the game and has loved these guys. I mean, loved them. Loved them. But the potency just moves on… It’s Mayweather. He knows. He’s like, ‘Yeah, I can fight maybe three more of ’em. But I’m slowing down, and I see these young kids coming up and I was them.’ And at a certain point, no matter how Mayweather you are, I think it’s classy to be like, ‘You know what?’ [brushes off hands]
this might be the most mature and on-point take on generational changes I've seen from a prominent aging rapper
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That Jimi Hendrix movie was terrible.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:
Philaflava wrote:https://www.gq.com/story/andre-3000-out ... rso=trueic.

this might be the most mature and on-point take on generational changes I've seen from a prominent aging rapper
Did you weep?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Spartan wrote:That Jimi Hendrix movie was terrible.
:leon:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Real tok. Prediction: the tribe ether is that qtip forced his ailing, alienated high school buddy into the studio to lend some credibility to what was really a slick solo project, just for the tribe name. And busta cosigned it.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Andre3000 wrote:You can always hop, but you won’t always be hip.
Has Andre been reading ACThePD?

:PhilosophizingJaz: