Wu-Tang - Of Mics and Men documentary

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

admiral

Wu-Tang - Of Mics and Men documentary

Post by admiral »

Did anyone else catch this? (all 4 episodes are streaming on Showtime)

I loved seeing all of the rare home video footage. The hate they have for Cilvaringz is amazing, as is the video of all of them arguing with Divine over money

step one

Re: Wu-Tang - Of Mics and Men documentary

Post by step one »

Only seen the first episode so far but it's nicely done
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm only 1 1/2 in, but looking forward to the Cilvaringz shit. You can tell he was just an opportunist who had no real affiliation other than giving RZA lots of money for the rights to bullshit.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

2 episodes in. It's ok. Feel like it hasn't delved into production from Rza like I thought it might. But still pretty cool seeing some of the footage.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admiral

Post by admiral »

Philaflava wrote:I'm only 1 1/2 in, but looking forward to the Cilvaringz shit. You can tell he was just an opportunist who had no real affiliation other than giving RZA lots of money for the rights to bullshit.
He shows up in the last episode.

Was also disappointed they didn't mention anything about how RZA's flooded basement fucked over guys like Deck and their solo albums

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:I'm only 1 1/2 in, but looking forward to the Cilvaringz shit. You can tell he was just an opportunist who had no real affiliation other than giving RZA lots of money for the rights to bullshit.
Not quite that, at least according to RZA.

Versive

Post by Versive »

admiral wrote: Was also disappointed they didn't mention anything about how RZA's flooded basement fucked over guys like Deck and their solo albums
I also thought it was odd they left that out. Dope doc overall though, lots of fun.

step one

Post by step one »

Interesting how they all hold Deck in such high regard, with him usually opening the lead singles and killing CREAM etc. Stand out spots on Cuban Links and Liquid Swords too but his solo career was such a flop

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

^^^ i loved uncontrolled substance.. did anyone else love that album??
illegal mind shoe lace

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

EichTurner wrote:^^^ i loved uncontrolled substance.. did anyone else love that album??
At the time? No. I thought it was shit. Disappointing guest spots, barely any RZA beats.

20 years on, I quite like some of it.

admiral

Post by admiral »

step one wrote:Interesting how they all hold Deck in such high regard, with him usually opening the lead singles and killing CREAM etc. Stand out spots on Cuban Links and Liquid Swords too but his solo career was such a flop
I really think it is a different story if he gets the focus of mid-90's RZA beats. It's incredible how many classic verses he has, yet I don't really want to hear him rap by himself on anything

step one

Post by step one »

feel bad for ODB. If it was Rocafella that hooked him up with that Jared dude as manager they were definitely trying to take advantage of him

RZA: whats your name?
Jared: Jared...what 's your name?
RZA: you don't know my name?
Jared: oh you're RZA?....damn...you're a lot taller than...

:fail:
Last edited by step one on Sat May 18, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

EichTurner wrote:^^^ i loved uncontrolled substance.. did anyone else love that album??
Didn't love or hate it. To this day I feel it's just alright, especially when compared to the power of the other Wu albums of it's time. I was used to having my mind blown by Wu albums and this was one of the first I felt was underwhelming. I love songs like Movas & Shakers, Word On The Street, Rec Room & Longevity.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

yeah it was pretty underwhelming. Awful cover too. Thing was around the same time he appeared on Above The Clouds and Tru Master which are both classics but there was nothing on his album of that standard.

step one

Post by step one »

Cilvaringz is in this shit for far too long

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

fatboybrandon wrote:
Didn't love or hate it. To this day I feel it's just alright, especially when compared to the power of the other Wu albums of it's time. I was used to having my mind blown by Wu albums and this was one of the first I felt was underwhelming. I love songs like Movas & Shakers, Word On The Street, Rec Room & Longevity.
it didn't blow any minds but i feel like it's just a really solid ass album. the beats weren't up to par with the rest of the wu solos but inspectah deck just had a solid ass performance... which i kinda feel like is the epitome of inspectah deck. on top of the tracks you named i'd say 'hyperdermix' , 'elevation' and 'friction' are all the cuts. the beats may not be rza in his prime or rza at all.. but they work. inspectah's classic wu lyrics are not lacking at all either...
illegal mind shoe lace

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

This actually wasn't that good. The only thing that really stood out to me was the focus on odb in episode 3. Really feel bad for the guy, yea we all know he was wild but I feel he got railroaded with that jail sentence. Going to jail for rockin a fuckin bulletproof vest when you a celeb and got money like that? Come on now. Seems like jail really broke him, he just wasn't the same guy when he got out. Shit is just sad.

And oh yea, it's fuck cilvaringz all day.

RIP ODB

step one

Post by step one »

RZA was definitely going down a Guru/Solar path with Cilvaringz

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

step one wrote:RZA was definitely going down a Guru/Solar path with Cilvaringz
What the fuck was up with that trip they went on together to Egypt? Shit was suspect

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

fatboybrandon wrote:

Loved it when I first heard it, but hasn't aged well over the last decade.
step one wrote:yeah it was pretty underwhelming. Awful cover too. Thing was around the same time he appeared on Above The Clouds and Tru Master which are both classics but there was nothing on his album of that standard.
Add Tres Leches to those as well.