Planet Asia & Architect- King Medallion vs. Arch Angel

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

aeokq

Planet Asia & Architect- King Medallion vs. Arch Angel

Post by aeokq »

Anyone else like this album? I've been bumping it the past few days, hadn't listened in a really long time. This is the quintessential underground hip hop album to me. People use the terms, “raw,” or “gritty” when describing albums sometimes. This is a case where the terms apply perfectly. Architect really crafted a unique banging album. He samples cartoons and other obscure records and dialogue to create eerie interludes and dusty beats. The drums knock hard as fuck. The sound is lo-fi throughout, and it works perfectly. Planet Asia does his thing on the mic, I've always liked his style. This album is so dope, one of my favorites ever honestly. It sort of has a cult-like reputation too due to its limited release. I've read that it was never officially released, but may have been in Japan or some shit.

Discogs has Holocaust on track 16 Switch. I just listened to it and it sounds nothing like him. Can anyone confirm that is Holocaust?

ian e

Re: Planet Asia & Architect- King Medallion vs. Arch Angel

Post by ian e »

Yeah, I like it too. It's mega rare... I think it was planned as a release for Rasco's label, but got shelved or the label folded or it became a CD-R Japan tour exclusive or some shit like that.

Imo, it's Planet Asia's best album (not that it says much lol). It reminds me a bit of a Madlib produced album like Madvillainy... with all the skits and interludes and short songs and stuff. I feel like Architect is very underrated as a producer. Here are a few of my favorites:

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

It's funny, Architect has produced two of my favorite albums ever, this and Self-Preservation, but I don't think I've heard much else from him. He had a few tracks on Encore's second album that I wasn't really feeling. I see he has some new material from the last couple of years with some guy Nowaah the Flood (no idea who that is). I'll have to check out some of that Homeliss Derilex.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Recent album he did with Equipto of Bored Stiff fame (as well as Nickatina collaboration albums).

http://grandgood.com/2019/07/12/equipto ... r-2-cents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

^ Rome Streetz is one of my favorite new MCs. I don't know how long he has been rapping, probably a while, but I just heard about him this year. His album with Futurewave (Headcrack) is my favorite album of the year. Beats are crazy and Rome can spit for sure.