How "Influential" Is PhilaFlava In 2019?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

How "Influential" Is PhilaFlava In 2019?

Post by Employee »

https://www.complex.com/music/2013/08/m ... philaflava" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9. Philaflava

Location: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Size: 72,792 threads; 1,598,040 posts
Registered members: 8,644
Notable thread: "Battle Rap Vid Thread (KOTD, URL, iBattle, etc.)"

Philaflava's tagline says it all: "Skilled In The trade of That Ol' Boom-Bap." It is the go-to site for East Coast/"Golden Age" rap purists, although the board boasts plenty of contrarian personalities. Here, MCs such as Roc Marciano, Sean Price, and Ka are revered. The general tone of posts on Philaflava can be best characterized as nostalgic—even the threads on new-school emcees tend to harken back to the "good old days." That said, it is a very valuable resource for the East Coast-centric rap fan. It has also spawned two invaluable blogs: "T.R.O.Y.," which focuses on the rarities and forgotten MCs of yore, and "Steady Bloggin," which eschews the forum's old-school focus and takes a more progressive tack, covering a wider variety of newer hip-hop. The rolling "Battle Rap Vid" thread is also a must-see for anyone who is interested in the battle-rap scene.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: How "Influential" Is PhilaFlava In 2019?

Post by Philaflava »

I don't know if there is any influence these days. Goes for most forums and blogs to be honest. Social media really changed things across the board (pun). That said, podcasts seem to be the most influential these days.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

Philaflava wrote:I don't know if there is any influence these days. Goes for most forums and blogs to be honest. Social media really changed things across the board (pun). That said, podcasts seem to be the most influential these days.
:cheers:

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Where do nerds go to opine about rap music these days tho. I still check this place once in a while only because there doesn’t seem to be any other forum that compares.

Most of the old generation that made the P interesting (ackbar, comedy, thun, nigga todd, dids, etc) have abandoned it, and I guess the new social media generation doesn’t really know or care about message boards.

But are those kids all just on group chats and IG comment sections.?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Where do nerds go to opine about rap music these days tho. I still check this place once in a while only because there doesn’t seem to be any other forum that compares.

Most of the old generation that made the P interesting (ackbar, comedy, thun, nigga todd, dids, etc) have abandoned it, and I guess the new social media generation doesn’t really know or care about message boards.

But are those kids all just on group chats and IG comment sections.?
KTT, Boxden, the coli, hiphopheads subreddit are all still very active. KTT tends to skew the youngest. Expand your horizons, the hip hop forum is far from dead.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Oh right. :cheers:

Edit: the boxden layout is ass, and the coli & KTT not accepting new registration. :sad:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Oh right. :cheers:

Edit: the boxden layout is ass, and the coli & KTT not accepting new registration. :sad:
I actually like the Boxden "hot topic" layout a lot.

Try DM'ing the admins for KTT and the coli, I believe they weren't accepting new registrations when I signed up too

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Sites not as active as some of the other forums I visit but the knowledge of the posters can't be matched. Also, Phila is constantly ahead of the curve. First place I saw with significant chatter and dedicated followings for Roc, Ka, WSG, Mach Hommy, Lil Ugly Mane, Woods, Exquire, etc. Forum certainly still serves a purpose.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

I post on Coli here and there. Tha P will always have my heart though.

Monotonous

Post by Monotonous »

I still come here on the regular to get exposed to the good shit. I don't know where else to go.

I just don't post cause I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme wrote:Sites not as active as some of the other forums I visit but the knowledge of the posters can't be matched. Also, Phila is constantly ahead of the curve. First place I saw with significant chatter and dedicated followings for Roc, Ka, WSG, Mach Hommy, Lil Ugly Mane, Woods, Exquire, etc. Forum certainly still serves a purpose.
This forum certainly does fulfill a certain niche, but I just wish it was more active.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

sometimes when i'm zipping up my sergio tacchini i stop and wonder what skinny ass sweatpants the cats on the P are wearing and where they are
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

^^ I bought a pair of navy Sergio Tacchini time shorts a couple of weeks back, m8.

#WearingSergioTacchiniBeforeTheInternet

#BaconBraBack!

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I feel like the podcast is more influential than the forum nowadays, and that's a good thing for PF to evolve in that way. The interviews and mixes have been a nice addition.

In terms of actual discussion activity, I feel what others are saying about it lacking or moving elsewhere. There always comes I time where things change, especially in the fast-moving online space.

I've cut down on my Hip Hop message board use over the years. I just can't obssess over the genre like I did when was a teen now that I'm grown and evolved. But that doesn't mean I won't pop in and out every now and then.

Also, the characters that you run into while chatting on boards is a reason why I stay away! I just got done talking in my DMs with one self-entitled nerd from this board who thinks he's god just cause he's got a podcast and blog. It's cool to love Hip Hop. But when you love Hip Hop too much, it's bound to make other's look at you funny.

In general, I think a bit of forums discussion and social media discussion is good nowadays. I prefer to shoot between one and the other, with the latter being my go-to. We'll see what the future holds for online forums.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

fatboybrandon wrote:I just got done talking in my DMs with one self-entitled nerd from this board who thinks he's god just cause he's got a podcast and blog. It's cool to love Hip Hop. But when you love Hip Hop too much, it's bound to make other's look at you funny.
Name names!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

hip-hop podcast? :jaz: