Rate This Album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Rate This Album

Post by stype_ones »

Digable Planets- Blowout Comb

25th Anniversary just passed in October. No joke, I don't think I listened to this album in a solid 15 years, perhaps more. Academy Records here in NYC always posts whats on the wall on IG and the other day this was in one of their posts. So today I listened on the train going to and coming from work. What a pleasure. I used to listen a lot back in 94/95 but back then so many amazing albums were dropping with such frequency it was easy to lose something like this is the mix. Plus that was the Stretch and Bob era so I mostly listened to what me or my boys taped every week. This album is pretty fucking amazing, though and I see myself being lost in this for a couple of weeks now without a doubt. So unique and really so good. This time of year always sends me down memory lane.

I remember being hesitant because I wasn't a huge fan of the first album at the time it dropped. That whole album was them basically jacking Q-Tips flow on If The Papes Come over and over. And Cool Like Dat always rubbed me the wrong way. I liked Where I'm From, esp the remix, though. But in 92/93 I wasn't feeling that shit. Maybe I will get inspired to give it another listen.

What's your thoughts on Blowout Comb?

gusty wingers

Re: Rate This Album

Post by gusty wingers »

afrocentric nonsense
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

I also haven't listened in over a decade, but I recall it being a very chill jazzy album. Great to play on a lazy Sunday at home. At least 8/10. You have inspired me to dig it out of my collection.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I hate to say ahead of its time, but really, it kinda was. Being apart of that acid jazz hip-hop movement, this was without a doubt their best work and possibly one of the most slept-on albums of the 90s. I also hate to throw out the word classic, but it's a great album. Not mad at anyone who wants to label it classic, though. Maybe this is just me in my old age, but I happen to think it has aged well. Haven't listened in sometime but 5 years ago it was perfectly fine.

step one

Post by step one »

I had this on today after recently copping it along with the debut. Hadnt heard it before and its a nice listen if you're in the right mood. Possibly a bit too jazzy in places which means it hasn't aged flawlessly but that was the flavour at the time and there's some nice beats on it

Borough Check featuring Guru is dope.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com