From The Unda To The Uppa

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

What Underground Rapper You'd Like To See Garner Mainstream Success?

Aesop Rock
4%
Sage Francis
24%
Illogic
3%
MF Doom
16%
Cage
3%
The Last Emperor
2%
J-Live
16%
Jean Grae
7%
Supastition
16%
____________ (Other)
9%

Total votes: 152

Kid B

From The Unda To The Uppa

Post by Kid B »

:megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: :megaman: going Plat Plus :?:

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

i voted for sage, which means you must've voted for him too!

out of that group, sage is the man.

like it or not.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

they all should.

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

Voted Sage. Woulda picked Jean Grae, but only because she definitely needs the money.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

almost all of these artists appeal to me somewhat, but for the most part they are not artists with commercial appeal.

I suppose J-Live would have the most realistic chance. maybe Sage Francis. maybe.

and MF Doom I would LOVE to see blow up, but I'm afraid...in these days and times, that could never happen. I mean, beyond the success he already has.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

it would be interesting to see Sage Francis handle that situation.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

I'd like to see Sage become really successful but a part of me would feel like how I used to feel when I first started seeing 10 year old kids rocking Cartman shirts.

It feels a little less special once everyone knows about it, and as much as that's elitist bullshit, I know I would start feeling different if Sage blew the fuck up.

agent b

Post by agent b »

SUPASTITION

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

agent b wrote:SUPASTITION

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

You got a point there, Moolah.

The Bza
O.G. Status

Post by The Bza »

Necro!

Just for the pure hilarity of him appearing on MTV.

Carson Daly - "So Necro what you been up to this Christmas"
Necro - "I'm Jewish you dumb cunt, I've been slicing up bitches with my fuckin butcher knife"
Carson Daly - "Ok lets go to a break"

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

lol @ Necro ever being accepted by the general public.

the idea is quite hilarious though.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Philaflava wrote:

zoidberg

Post by zoidberg »

The Bza wrote:Necro!

Necro - "I'm Jewish you dumb cunt, I've been slicing up bitches with my fuckin butcher knife"

:mrgreen:
that would be some ill shit hehe....

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

Jean.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Doom deserves a bzillion, fillion kajillion dollars.

but 30 odd year old fat people in masks will never make MTV so my second place vote goes to Cage.

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

hard toss up between Jean and J. They all grind, and all are deserving, talented artist. Something about what the two J's do just needs to be heard though, down to earth, yet very insightful. not too mention entertaining.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

The Bza wrote:Necro!

bwahahaha duke lookin all grimey with his shirt lookin mad beat up with a stretched out neck on sum, only makein comebacks every holloween type shit...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The leader of this poll indicates that the atmosphere in this thread is RACIST.

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

Employee wrote:The leader of this poll indicates that the atmosphere in this thread is RACIST.
What is you talking about?

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Employee wrote:The leader of this poll indicates that the atmosphere in this thread is RACIST.

atmosphere is incredibly close to mainstream success though

:mrgreen:
indeed

mud

Post by mud »

Philaflava wrote:

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

This poll is too fanboyish.

I hate to bring up the age-old message board newjack argument... but hip hop and rap or underground and mainstream or whatever else you wanna call these two sub-genres really are different. No truly "underground" (and I use this term as an aesthitic classification) will ever appeal to mainstream audiences... never ever ever ever ever. The same people who make Nelly singing a country song and Eminem babling nonsense numer one hits will never roll down the streets bumping J Live. So until there is a sea-change to the extent that the average music buyer begins to like the somewhat essoteric (which by definition could never happen) version of hip hop that we call underground... none of these acts will ever see mainstream success.

Even Slug who is probably underground's biggest draw... even with the backing of Def Jam, Shady, Aftermath, and Donald Trump Slug would never be a true mainstream success, because he doesn't make music that appeals to that audience.

EDIT: And yes I do know the poll question says "Which artist would you like to see get mainstream success?" or something like that... But what all these artitsts would have to do to gain mainstream success I don't want to see happen.

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

FreshShabazz wrote:This poll is too fanboyish.

I hate to bring up the age-old message board newjack argument... but hip hop and rap or underground and mainstream or whatever else you wanna call these two sub-genres really are different. No truly "underground" (and I use this term as an aesthitic classification) will ever appeal to mainstream audiences... never ever ever ever ever. The same people who make Nelly singing a country song and Eminem babling nonsense numer one hits will never roll down the streets bumping J Live. So until there is a sea-change to the extent that the average music buyer begins to like the somewhat essoteric (which by definition could never happen) version of hip hop that we call underground... none of these acts will ever see mainstream success.
How unrealistic can this be? In 1991, a majority of people were listening to hair bands when a trio from Washington redefined rock music. It was one of the biggest paradigm shifts in the history of American music. Furthermore, rap music has been known to be cyclical. The first cycle already took place, the full circle of party rap has been realized. After the party era came the progressive lyrical and socially conscious movement. This transition happened over the course of seven years; 1979-1986. One can argue that the second wave of party rap started in 1998 with the success of artists like Ma$e, Jay-Z, Will Smith, etc. 2004 was a big year for Kanye West, who may not be one of the most proficient MCs, yet the content of his rhymes are head and shoulders above what's really good in rap today. I think 2005 will be a pivotal year for hip-hop music. I see big things poppin. You heard it here first.

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

^^^ It could happen but I doubt it will. I could go throught each one of your examples and explain why it doesn't really relate to the people you listed blowing up... but I'm really tired.

I think we're in a phase of hip hop that is strange and has become just as divided as ever... There are so many camps doing so many different things right now. In the early 90's Dre's west coast sound dominated popular music or how after big's death Puffy's jiggy rap took over and even influenced Jay-Z and Nas. We don't have that right now. There is no strong unified voice of hip hop: Eminem has one sound, Lil John has another, Nas is doing his thing, Ludacris is doing another. Soon Missy will drop something that's different from everyone else and Dipset will continue to have their thing and hip hop will remain muddy and ununified... I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

For a while it seemed as though Kanye's success was gonna usher in a new mainstream/underground fusion like we saw in the late 90's with Rawkus... but with unpopular releases from The Roots, Mos Def, and Talib I don't think we're headed in that direction. Kanye can't carry a movement on his back alone.

Anyway, all this confusion may leave a chance for underground to fill the void? But I doubt it. I think crunk is on it's way out as Lil John's album isn't creating the buzz of his last few projects. The way I see things going is a return to a NYC dominated sound with people just emceeing with little to no gimmicks... think of the success of Lean Back, New York, Breathe, and even Drop it Like it's Hot. These are all songs with rappers just rapping over good production that's accesible to the mainstream audience without being shallow and simplistic.

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

The Bza
O.G. Status

Post by The Bza »

FreshShabazz wrote: Drop it Like it's Hot. These are all songs with rappers just rapping over good production.
:shock:

Fuckin hate this track! How anyone can say that this has good production is beyond me

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

The Bza wrote:
FreshShabazz wrote: Drop it Like it's Hot. These are all songs with rappers just rapping over good production.

Fuckin hate this track! How anyone can say that this has good production is beyond me
Yeah, I love the production on this track. The rapping on the other hand...

I was just using it as an example of songs that have been recent hits that are stripped down of any gimmicks... they're not stories, they're not love songs, they're just people rapping... it's not always pretty but it looks like things are headed that way

The Bza
O.G. Status

Post by The Bza »

FreshShabazz wrote:
The Bza wrote:

Yeah, I love the production on this track. The rapping on the other hand...

I was just using it as an example of songs that have been recent hits that are stripped down of any gimmicks... they're not stories, they're not love songs, they're just people rapping... it's not always pretty but it looks like things are headed that way
Good point. It is a very basic track and I too can see this trend continuing. I just simply can't stand this joint tho! The beat is dull as fuck and Snoop lost his charisma a loooooong time ago.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

the beat is the only thing i like about that song. it took seeing the video to appreciate how subtle the intricate additions are.

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

SYMantiks wrote:the beat is the only thing i like about that song. it took seeing the video to appreciate how subtle the intricate additions are.
indeed