can someone do a audio 101 on midi?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Walter Sobchak
some schmuck

can someone do a audio 101 on midi?

Post by Walter Sobchak »

basically, i just bought the m-audio ozone. if you remember i asked here a bit back about a usb audio interface. this is an interface and a 25 note midi controler in one so i thought it was a good deal for $200. i have no idea about anything to do with midi though. it says it has 16 chanles of in/out. what does that mean? is that 16 notes at once? also what programs can i use this with? i know reason, but i dont have that at the moment. anyone want to yousednit that for me? i just want to be able to tap out my drums and melodies and i have no clue how to.

Walter Sobchak
some schmuck

Post by Walter Sobchak »

i more quink thing. can i assing 1 key to be a kick and one a snare, ect or do i have to play one sample at a time?

Digital Fiend

Post by Digital Fiend »

Did you get a manual with it??

Walter Sobchak
some schmuck

Post by Walter Sobchak »

the manual sucks.

basically, i just dont know how to use it with software. i got fl5 from a link here a while ago. the other day i was playing around with the ozone and that. while i was making just a generic drum loop to start with i picked some of the synth sounds that come with fl. i had it in record mode and was playing a melody as the drums played but all i was doing was playing along. it wasnt inputing my meoldy into the loop.

da beatmonger

Post by da beatmonger »

you need to pick a program to work with first, you cant really explain how to set-up the midi controller, if you dont have any midi instruments to control, you dig? reason is a good choice to get started on, its pretty easy to figure out, and fairly inexpensive for what you can get out of it.

as far as the 16 channel question, that means that you can control 16 different channels at the same time, with each channel assigned to a different patch. essentially, it allows you to control 16 instruments (patches) simultaniously.

Remo the Great

Post by Remo the Great »

I'd do it, but i wouldnt know how to explain it to you in a way that actually makes sense. I'm a terrible teacher.
GoddyNoMore... You can call me Alex.

The Beat Break - A Blog dedicated to Hip-Hop Producers, their music, and their tools.
Alex Minor Dot Com - New name. Get Used to it.

da beatmonger

Post by da beatmonger »

Remo the Great wrote:I'd do it, but i wouldnt know how to explain it to you in a way that actually makes sense. I'm a terrible teacher.
yea, im taking a performing arts and technology class that focuses on electronic music composisions right now. the whole first half of the class is on midi. its all just a bunch of boring, monotonous memorization of controller numbers and control change messages that i didnt really obsorb well enough to be able to explain to someone so they could understand it.

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

install the drivers
configure the application
after that its all program specific...

and yes, one key can be a kick, one a snare etc..they keys are assignable through the program

Snyde

Post by Snyde »

well theres a few things u gotta do in fruity my man, once u have hooked it all up (cant help you there different setups are obivously well... different) u need to go to Options > enable midi remote control tapping a key on your controlled should make the midi light (near play/pause) blink, that means it is pickin up a midi signal if that doesnt work then ull have to play with shit in Options > midi settings

other than that man everything u asked about you will learn as u become familiar with midi

peace

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

that midi shit seems confusing, has me scared to try that shit.

Let me know how turns out for you.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »