Fluxo's Official Rant #1

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

KaeoFLUX

Fluxo's Official Rant #1

Post by KaeoFLUX »

So I decided to start this thread as an outlet for ranting, bitching, complaining and so on. Occasionally I may offer uplifting and inspiring anecdotes, but don't count on it. By all means, please get involved here.. this is in no way an exclusive rant.

Yes, I have a website but nobody fucking visits it and I never update the content, only the design, and.. well.. I'll save that shit for another rant.

Today, I will rant about putting out records.

How many of you have started releasing records on a label? Or at least involved in that situation? Here's my gripe:

I used to just make music for the sake of making it. It was solely about expressing myself. Weather it was a collaboration, or whatever the project, I just did it. I'd flex my style, make beats, drop a verse here and there or some cuts, whatever.

Eventually though I got all mixed up in this "releasing records" business and things change. I still make whatever kind of music I feel like making.. for myself. I do not compromise my vision to fit any mold.. but.. Now it is hard not to think like "what album/project/single/emcee is this beat going to be for? I can't just make what I want, I have projects to do and people to please". Or something to that extend.

It's hard to keep your creative force and inspiration when you have specific projects on the schedule, and you need to adapt to the style that each project calls for. I mean, not compromising, or selling out, but if you are doing a track for an NY hip hop comp that demands a relatively standard style.. you have to adhere to that somewhat, if you want to release a track on it. And at the same time if you are working on something experimental for lack of a better word, you can't use the same looped 4/4 headnodder.

The point is: When you get involved with labels and official releases, things change. Do they have to? I mean, I am giving insight here, as well as asking for some veteran advice.

I feel like.. you can either

1) make whatever the fuck you want as long as you are proud of it, and find a way to release it AS IS.. or

2) adapt your style to an extent to meet the aesthetic demands of any given project. And again, as long as you are proud of the product.

Well that's all for now.

More bitching later.

M:akai

Post by M:akai »

just keep doing you, whatever stuff on the side you got always make sure you know what music YOUR doin for you

admittedly i'm not too involved with many other artists, but i did some rnb chick's instro's and it def wasn't my steez to say the least.

if it makes ya feel better i peeped your site pretty recently to check that track vampire tonic again after hearin it a looong time ago. i wanted to peep the pan drum patterns again, lol, checked some other ish while i was there too

keep groovin

e-styles

Post by e-styles »

i don't have more experience or talent than you, but i am pretty much in the same situation.
that's something i've been thinking about for some time. i am not involved in any label or anything, but i am producing a lot of people, so we are starting a small label that's gonna give away music for free as a start.

but i guess all those people came to me because they like my style in production, sound, cuts or because i am a nice person i dont know... so they expect to hear my sound in their music, or expect me to produce some hot beats for their songs. so what i am releasing is just me, or me and other guys together. i think you should always keep your personal style and taste in everything you do.
i know, sometimes you have to create something that's not really your cup of tea, but you can still put your personal style, ideas and feelings into it. or if it's too hard, then fuck it, just do what they want as long as they like it and as long as you like the result.

and remember, always try to do the right thing. i tell my guys that their albums are going to take me a lot of time, i usually give them a 6 months minimum, but they know it will be worth waiting.
in the meantime, i am always taking part in beatbattles and remixes and stuff, because this is a good way for me to challenge myself and get better to what i do.

the bottom line is love. it's all about love. if you got it, hold on to it and you won't be afraid of anything.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

thats why I'm not a professional musician, I love to make music for me and thats it... Sure I go the Cd-R route and stand on campus and slang those bad boys for 5$ but you won't find me signed to anything... I tried to make a career out of music, even got signed to a very small label and started to a grow a pretty nice fanbase in New Mexico and West Texas but you havve to go through so much bullshit..........its not worth it........and you will never get big without BIG $$$$$.... Music is nothing but a hobby for me and I find it very fulfilling.. I also like to enter all these production contests where they just say do what you want....

citizen

Post by citizen »

it takes so much to make a sucessful living with it, i have found when doing projects with someone its not as fun as when im just producing for fun. my goal is to be able to see my songs as a product somewhere, but the market is so flooded...meh, good topic

ive been to your website a few times, always liked your stuff