Help using a MIDI keyboard with Acid or fruity loops?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

bizzlestiltskin

Help using a MIDI keyboard with Acid or fruity loops?

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

hey, i just got this 49 key midi keyboard, it's the m-audio radium 49. all the drivers are installed. the two programs i can use this on are FL 5 and Acid 4 and 5.

In acid, i want to be able to use all my samples (drums, whatever else) by pressing a key on the keyboard. Right now all i know how to do is set up a midi track and press the keys. it doesn't record or anything. I have no idea how to import my drum sounds onto the keyboard. this is frustrating because that's the entire reason I bought the keyboard. Please, can anyone help me with this?? I know this is a basic question but i can't seem to find any support online or on any other forums.

Thank you.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

Digital Fiend

Re: Help using a MIDI keyboard with Acid or fruity loops?

Post by Digital Fiend »

bizzlestiltskin wrote:hey, i just got this 49 key midi keyboard, it's the m-audio radium 49. all the drivers are installed. the two programs i can use this on are FL 5 and Acid 4 and 5.

In acid, i want to be able to use all my samples (drums, whatever else) by pressing a key on the keyboard. Right now all i know how to do is set up a midi track and press the keys. it doesn't record or anything. I have no idea how to import my drum sounds onto the keyboard. this is frustrating because that's the entire reason I bought the keyboard. Please, can anyone help me with this?? I know this is a basic question but i can't seem to find any support online or on any other forums.

Thank you.
Shit i didnt even know those could do that...All i know a midi keyboard is good for,is being able to play the sounds from another Piece of Equipment,and being able to play them on the Keys,for a better Ease Of use,Hmmm,So you want to take,samples from your Porgram,and put them on your Keys.But then wouldnt have to sit there and Hold A key down while the sample Played threw, to however long you want your tune to be? Hmm..now im Confused..Read your Manual...you might have an out as an in,and an in as an out..dunno..i only messed with one of those midiman,keyboards,like 5 times,and it was hooked to a Korg Electribe,using the KE as a tone generator..Im lost right along with ya bro..as a matter of fact,when or If you figure it out..let ME know

bizzlestiltskin

all this digital music stuff confuses the fuck out of me. the manual itself is not very comprehensive. it goes over the basic function of the keyboards and whatnot, but doesn't go into specific uses of it.

i just want to tap out my drum beats, add a bassline with the keyboard, then possibly mess around with some keyboard effects or something on the samples. i didn't think it was going to be this complicated. i was looking for a function called like "send to midi controller" or something, but i never got one. i figured you could just make your keyboard trigger the placement of kick drums and snares, etc. i dunno man.

Digital Fiend

Post by Digital Fiend »

bizzlestiltskin wrote:all this digital music stuff confuses the fuck out of me. the manual itself is not very comprehensive. it goes over the basic function of the keyboards and whatnot, but doesn't go into specific uses of it.

i just want to tap out my drum beats, add a bassline with the keyboard, then possibly mess around with some keyboard effects or something on the samples. i didn't think it was going to be this complicated. i was looking for a function called like "send to midi controller" or something, but i never got one. i figured you could just make your keyboard trigger the placement of kick drums and snares, etc. i dunno man.
i think those Midi Keyboards are only good for if you have other Midi equipment,and you use those going from your equipment,into your Keyboard,as tone generators,and then hit record on your program,to Play Along,to your samples that you already have going,so then what you are Playing will come out Synced,into a Wav file,so all you have to do then,is drag that file out,and it will be synced to your existing beats ,melodies,samples etc..hell if you have a drum machine,then that would be great... Im not 100% sure,and dont qoute me on this..BUT i dont think you can even do what it is your trying to do,with that keybord..and if so..then... i want one..my friend has one,but i dont even talk to that Dude no more ,and he was never into programs to begin with,so ..so much help i've been ey.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

I know you can do this in Reason...

don't know about Acid though

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

You can do all this in acid but the latency blows.
Reason works best.
I assume fruity loops works much like reason but I'm not sure.

Walter Sobchak
some schmuck

Post by Walter Sobchak »

i asked this same question i while back. im still waiting for a copy of reason 3.

Remo the Great

Post by Remo the Great »

:::Sigh:::

Let me explain this to you. The M-Audio "keyboard" that u have is NOT a keyboard. It is a CONTROLLER. What this means is that it sends midi signals to your computer via usb to control different functions in whatever program u are using. U can use it with acid or fruity loops, but you cant actually import sounds to the keyboard itself. u have to set up the program you're working in to be synched with the keyboard or midi drum pad or whatever you're using. if what u want is to tap out your drums, i suggest you get the newest version of Fruity Loops and an Akai MPD16. The newest version of Fruity has a plugin specifically designed to work with the MPD 16 so cats like u can get that hands on feel and tap out their shit.

www.flstudio.com
www.akai.com

do yer research homey.
GoddyNoMore... You can call me Alex.

The Beat Break - A Blog dedicated to Hip-Hop Producers, their music, and their tools.
Alex Minor Dot Com - New name. Get Used to it.

bizzlestiltskin

i understand that. Basically what I was looking for here was some sort of rundown on how people use their midi controllers in programs like fruity loops and acid 4/5. Right now i can download some vst programs that act as drum machines or whatever and assign .wav files to certain keys. however, I don't really know the right way to go about recording these patters or consolidating multiple midi-triggered segments together. sorry to ask, but there is really not much information regarding this type of stuff.

there's this guy in hip hop congress that produces and uses an m-audio. i'll try talking to him at the next meeting, if he's there. thanks for answering though.

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

bizzlestiltskin wrote:however, I don't really know the right way to go about recording these patters or consolidating multiple midi-triggered segments together.
Just hit the big red record button (make sure you are recording MIDI. Click the button at the top of the recording screen)

cuntface

Post by cuntface »

i dunno how to set up either of the prgorams you got but i can tell you how to do it in atari cubase and maybe you can transpose that info to your setup.

i didn't read all of remo's reply so i don't know how much he covered but the basic thing you need to know is that midi is purely information. no sound. as he said that's why you can't upload the sounds to your keyboard. what midi does do is send instructions to a device telling it what note to play, how long to play for, what velocity to play at, how much pitchbend to apply etc etc.

all midi parameters operate in a range from 0-127 so for example if you connect your controller to an m(idi)pc 2000 you could play a c4 note real softly (loudness is refered to as velocity cos the speed at which you strike the keys determines how loud a note plays, some people find that confusing, it seems logical to me) on the controller which sends the info to the mpc to play it's c4 note at the corresponding velocity. if you have the mpc (or whatever it is that you are using to sequence, nuendo, logic, fruity, asr10) recording as you send these notes then, to state the obvious, the sequencer will record the midi info it recieves and is thus able to play it back.

now you know how to get info to the sequencer you need to get that info from the sequencer to the sound module. again how i would do this is undoubtedly different to how you will need to do it but this might be of some help.

in the sequencer you can assign individual tracks to a midi channel. what you need to then do is set the sampler to recive the info you want it to. samplers need to have each sample assigned to a group which is a range of keys and there can be several groups within a larger program. for example making a simple drum kit you could use three groups, a bass drum spanning from c1-f1, a snare spanning from g1-b1 and a hi hat spanning from c2-f2. these three groups could be part of yor larger program named "drums"

the next step is to set which channel "drums" recieves info from. this can be either omni where drums will recieve all of the info sent to the sampler and so will play not only the drums but also the piano line too (not something you want) or you can set it to an exact channel so it exclusively recieves info intended for that channel.

lets assume at this point that the seuencer has several tracks recorded into it, a bassline, a drum track and a main sampled loop. you want the drum track to trigger drum sounds and so you set the track on whcih you recorded your drums to output on channel 10 and you set the drum program on your sampler to recieve on 10.

looking back on what i just wrote i think that's gonna be little to no help at all. oh well, hopefully someone might find it useful

bizzlestiltskin

wow thank you.