check this track

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

citizen

check this track

Post by citizen »

any thoughts on this, i dunno if it should stay like this or if it needs something else

strings

http://www.zebox.com/citizen02/

Operator

Post by Operator »

intro is fresh but the kick that comes in at first is horrid. samples are beautiful though. cool changeup too.

you ever heard of Mono? this sounds like some of their stuff on Formica Blues. Great album. portisheadish.

well done. bravo. encore.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 350 character limit.

Nacho Vidal

Post by Nacho Vidal »

yo, this sample is crazy!....could i get it off u? :cool: (seriously tho)

ok, basically it's chopped up and sequenced well, but u need heavier, more active kicks. and some more highs in your percussion. i actually like the snare. can't really complain about anything else but the drum pattern...this is good. i'm lovin that main loop.
"Word is bond, I am the baddest...and all the honeys out there, word is bond, you know my status"

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

Nice loops man. I think that you should throw in some sort of thicker bassline, or add another, heavier-sounding kick on top of the one that is there now. This is structured nicely. the part around 1:32 is sick. chopping up good string loops is hard because the volume seems to fluctuate from the beginning to the end, so it loops a little clunkily. that doesn't take away from the dopeness of the track though.

overall, i'd say fortify that kick drum. possibly add more low end to that snare so it doesn't sound so tinny, and thicken that bass line. As it is now, the drums don't quite fit into the mix, but you could fix that easily.

keep it up.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

da beatmonger

Post by da beatmonger »

i agree, i think it could use a little more low end... then again, i was listening thru headphones without a ton of bass response, so i might be a little off. it sounds good tho, that string sample is tight.

Henessee Williams

Post by Henessee Williams »

not to reiterate player, but thicken those drums and you done got yourself a certified banger.
take that shit to the rodeo.
ya heard!?

citizen

Post by citizen »

thanks for the feedback, i guess i was so entranced with the sample, i ignored that the drums need some work.
peace, glad you like it

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

yeah. that kicks is too acoustic sounding for this type of sound. i like the samples you used though. loving the mood from this. really morose. drums could use a little work. the mix overall is nice though no complaints.

e-styles

Post by e-styles »

yeah the violin samples are dope.

what i think you should do to make it a little better is:

send a copy of your samples to an fx channel with some eq or bass enhancer and layer it over your beat. this will add the missing low end nicely.

change the snare to something snappier. or layer a different snare on top of the existing snare adding a little reverb. maybe stretched claps will do. the kick sounds ok to me.

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

This is real slow and viscous. This song is the soundtrack to a bleak, washed out movie scene where an innocent person is murdered, and it is raining, and everyone is standing around and questioning how they let the violence get to this point. And an old woman is crying softly in the distance. Moody and downtempo shit. The first sample loops a liitle rough and the mix misses a some mid-low end. If you reverb the kick real wet it may sound more ominous.

polish it up, then sell it to hollywood.