Jewels, Kick It, Elvis Is King (Supastition remix)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Operator

Jewels, Kick It, Elvis Is King (Supastition remix)

Post by Operator »

Last edited by Operator on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 350 character limit.

citizen

Post by citizen »

jewelz-dont like the hi hat used here so much, but the melody here is very well done, id say work to find a changeup here, i think that would work real well with this sample

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

the 2nd two links don't work...you're not supposed to have spaces in a link...use a - or _ to seperate words.

jewels...this isn't bad, but not really jumping out at me in any aspect. it's also pretty short, which doesn't help.

Operator

Post by Operator »

Hasenfefer wrote:the 2nd two links don't work...you're not supposed to have spaces in a link...use a - or _ to seperate words.

jewels...this isn't bad, but not really jumping out at me in any aspect. it's also pretty short, which doesn't help.
Thanks. Should work now. I'm so clever with the %20s.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 350 character limit.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

kick it...this is ok, drums sound light. i like the little change up. mix sounds a little flat overall....are you filtering your sounds? or adding eq?

jewels...this is more catchy to me. bassline is cool. those hits are a little much after a while for an instrumental type of track....unless theres a change-up planned?

Operator

Post by Operator »

Hasenfefer wrote:kick it...this is ok, drums sound light. i like the little change up. mix sounds a little flat overall....are you filtering your sounds? or adding eq?

jewels...this is more catchy to me. bassline is cool. those hits are a little much after a while for an instrumental type of track....unless theres a change-up planned?
jewels is one of my first attempts at an upbeat , uhh, beat. usually my stuff comes out soft. something simple meant for an emcee to rip on. i'll probably add a changeup at some point though.

am I filtering my sounds? or adding eq? what does this mean? i mess with the equalizer most of the time if i feel like the track lacks bass or what hav you. I feel like you're about to drop some mixing knowledge on me Has...I'm open.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

well filters are used to get rid of hiss or hum...but if over used, they dull the dynamics of the sound. eq should be used to create sonic seperation in your track....you want your hi hats to define your high end....your guitars / pianos / vocals will fall into your mid to mid-high range. your bass and kick drums will fill the low end. now the trick is to make sure some of those sounds that share the same frequency range don't fight with each other for space.....when that happens you usually wind up with a muddy sounding mix....this is where eq comes in. you want to play with the eq on each seperate track, when needed, and find the sweet spot...which is basically the frequency range of that sound and either add some or take away depending on the sound you're going for. if my guitar sample is hitting around 5k and my piano is around 9k, cutting some 5k on the piano and adding a little 8k will help the piano to stand out on it's own and not fight with the guitar for space. make sense?

Nacho Vidal

Post by Nacho Vidal »

supastition remix - the beat fit the vibe of the vocals. u synced it well. i'm feelin the samples used, it got a relaxing mid-90's kinda vibe. you maybe coulda chopped it up a lil nicer or not have the samples playing at the start before the beat drops, but the sequence is good. the drums also feel a lil tame to me, but i like that snare. and the congas in the back are pretty fresh.
some bass could be added, there's hardly a low end.
"Word is bond, I am the baddest...and all the honeys out there, word is bond, you know my status"