can someone explain sequencers to me?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

citizen

can someone explain sequencers to me?

Post by citizen »

ive been using reason for a few years now and i love the sequencer. the option to edit the pitch,placement, velocity, etc. of any individual note, copy and pasting, dragging, so many other things i think are great

a lot of times when people talk about what sequencers are good and bad all i read is this is one is good, or this one sucks, rarely do people ever get into the specifics of what they feel makes a good/bad sequencer.

so would anyone care to shed further light upon the subject?

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

a lot of times when people talk about what sequencers are good and bad all i read is this is one is good, or this one sucks, rarely do people ever get into the specifics of what they feel makes a good/bad sequencer.
anyone who says 'this sucks or that sucks' with no other specifics is no one you should be taking advice from.

a good sequencer should give you as many options and as much flexability as possible. the bottom line is theres more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. a lot of people learn on a specific program or hardware and get used to it...then swear everything else sucks...but the truth is i can make the same beat with an mpc as i can in fruity loops or acid. your ear, your sample selection, your creativity, your sequencing and mixing abilities...these are the things that will make or break a producer.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Hasenfefer wrote:
anyone who says 'this sucks or that sucks' with no other specifics is no one you should be taking advice from.

a good sequencer should give you as many options and as much flexability as possible. the bottom line is theres more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. a lot of people learn on a specific program or hardware and get used to it...then swear everything else sucks...but the truth is i can make the same beat with an mpc as i can in fruity loops or acid. your ear, your sample selection, your creativity, your sequencing and mixing abilities...these are the things that will make or break a producer.
as a discussion this would have been valid 15 years ago when note limitiations and resolution were actually an issue. they're not anymore, so has would be serving the forum better by locking this now.

citizen

Post by citizen »

thanks has, that pretty much answers my question then