Business books?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Captin Planit

Business books?

Post by Captin Planit »

I'd like to be able to manage myself if I wanted to avoid legal trouble in the music business. What're some good sources to help a man with very little legal know-how get edumacated (haste is not a consideration, so I'm not looking for a get-smart-quick scheme)?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know about the Music Industry by Donald Pressman?, I believe.

Do an Amazon search on that title.

A number of indy cats have used this book as a source to come up.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Employee wrote:Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know about the Music Industry by Donald Pressman?, I believe.

Yeah, this book is definitely a given, and I was just curious if there was anything else that could be considered essential reading on the subject? Thanks, though.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Captin Planit wrote:
Employee wrote:Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know about the Music Industry by Donald Pressman?, I believe.

Yeah, this book is definitely a given, and I was just curious if there was anything else that could be considered essential reading on the subject? Thanks, though.
If I'm not mistaken, JT the Bigga Figga and some other cats published a manual entitled Black Wall Street or something along those lines that gets pretty deep in terms of management and the way to operate as your own manager.

Steve Albini also has written a lot of great articles on self-management within the business. If you google his name, you should come up with a lot of stuff.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

You're a great man.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

There's also a website, www.diyrecords.com or something like that has tons of free articles/resources. I'll locate the exact website and post a link.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Oh, and while I'm at it, it might be in your best interest to pay for an hour of an industry lawyer's time simply to pick his/her brains. Ask him/her about internet sources, print literature etc. in regards to managing your own career.

A small investment, but it goes a long way.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Wanna be my manager? I make hip hop for kids 8 - 10. I'm about to sign a deal with Nickelodeon.

Henessee Williams

Post by Henessee Williams »

are you kidding me?

post some files player!

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Trust, homie. WORKIN' ON THAT. Can't upload shit to Soundclick from my current location. Gimme 48 hours and I'll post that hot garbage you crave.

Henessee Williams

Post by Henessee Williams »

yessss suuur!

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

good book (donald s. passman i believe), read it way back in university, a lot of interesting info on how i don't want to do shit :)

shame that there's not a uk version with more pertinent info for me.