Anybody fucking w/ Reason? Also MIDI controllers...

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

sneed

Anybody fucking w/ Reason? Also MIDI controllers...

Post by sneed »

I've done switched from the MPC 2000xl which I pretty much know front to back and then some, to Reason...I like it a lot more for my needs and the time it takes me to do it...

anyways,

I've been traveling a lot, and I want to know if anyone can recommend some MIDI controllers that'd be dope to buy, I haven't really looked into it yet, but I did notice some of the ones Kaeo threw up in that new studio gear thread and they looked dope...

I really DON'T need many keys as size is a factor and I need to be able to pop it in my bag, besides, I don't really sequence in a large octave range all at once, and when I do I'll just drop down and octave or raise up...

also,

I want to know if anyone is down to copy me Reason 3.0? I've been looking for it for a minute now, and I can't get my hands on a boot...I had bought 2.5 but never registered it and lost the discs so I can't justify REPAYING all that much money for another upgrade...I'd be willing to trade software copies (dp4, peak) or even downright pay you to make me a copy, I don't give a fuck, I just need it asap...

oh and does anyone fuck with those reason sample packs? if so how are they? and can we hook that up too? I'm down to throw some bucks or a trade your way if you're interested...

thanks in advance

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Decent MIDI controllers within your Price Point:
M-Audio Keystation 49e USB MIDI Controller

M-Audio 02 USB Midi Controller

Edirol PC-50 USB MIDI 49-Key Controller

Oh, and then there's also M-Audio's Oxygen8 controller, that's the one I see everyone in their bedrooms with. It's like $49.99 or something like that.

sneed

Post by sneed »

yeah man, I'm kinda feeling that M-Audio 02 USB controller...it's small enough for my needs and the price ain't that bad...

any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated and the answers to my reason questions I'm awaiting...

thanks employee

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I don't have a copy of Reason 3 yet, but I'm looking to cop a new computer soon and it + a hardware controller will be the first purchases along with it.

Any info about Reason 3 would be appreciated.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

LameAim wrote:I don't have a copy of Reason 3 yet, but I'm looking to cop a new computer soon and it + a hardware controller will be the first purchases along with it.

Any info about Reason 3 would be appreciated.
All you need for original computer-based music generation.

Synthesizers, samplers, drum machine, ReCycle-based loop player, mixer, effects, pattern sequencer, and more. As many of each as your computer can handle. Reason is an infinitely expandable music workstation on a CD-ROM, complete with its own realtime sequencer. Version 3.0 features the Combinator -- a sophisticated software device which allows you to build elaborate chains of Reason units -- instruments, effects, pattern sequencers, you name it -- and save as Combi patches.

Less fuss, more freedom

As a Reason user, you can forget about the downsides of music production. Forget malfunctioning modules and confusing connections. Reason's cables don't tangle. Forget about steep learning curves and menus within menus. Reason is so direct you'll learn it in minutes. And forget the tedious process of gathering all the different disks and soundbanks needed to load up a song.

Stellar sound

The audio quality is everything you would expect from the people behind ReCycle and ReBirth. But pristine sound quality is only half the story; the instruments and effects in Reason are loaded with character and attitude. Reason will not just impress, but inspire you.

All controls work as their real-life counterparts

Each unit in Reason's virtual rack is edited from its own onscreen front panel. All the sliders, knobs, buttons, and functions are right in front of you, ready to be tweaked, turned, and twisted in absolute real time. And all your front panel actions -- filter adjustments, pitch bending, gain riding, or panning -- can be recorded and automated in the Reason sequencer.

Need more gear?

In Reason, you will never run out of rackspace. No problem. Choose a synth, a drum machine, a loop player, or any device from the Create menu, and it will instantly appear in your rack, logically patched into the signal chain. And because Reason is designed to go easy on your computer, you can repeat the process until you're more than happy. If you ever wished you had eleven samplers and ten compressors, Reason is definitely for you. And if you have created more machines than you have mixer channels, just create another mixer.

What's new in 3.0?

For big, tight, loud-sounding tracks; extra stereo width; increased clarity; and punchier bass meet MClass, the new mastering suite in Reason 3.0. MClass brings you 4 separate pro level mastering units designed to add power, presence, and an overall professional feel to your Reason mixes.

Play your Reason system!

Coupled with the Combinator, the new features in Reason 3.0 -- a fresh sound library, an enhanced browser and the new Remote protocol -- turn your rack into a very live-friendly, very playable instrument.

True hardware integration!

With the Reason 3.0 browser, the task of finding and loading sounds and patches becomes just as smooth and intuitive as the process of making good music in Reason. Reason's sound palette is getting bigger, better, wider, and wilder. The new sound bank in Reason 3.0 adds huge quantities of instruments, sounds, and patches to Reason's already massive library. Focusing on carefully sampled musical instruments and useful Combinator setups rather than loops and beats, the new soundbank takes a more playable, more performance-friendly direction.

Line mixing, Combi mixing or regular submixing?

Leave it to Line Mixer 6:2 -- a simple but effective 6-channel stereo line mixer. Built primarily for use in the Combinator, the Line Mixer 6:2 handles basic mixing and panning of Combi devices, but can of course be inserted anywhere in Reason: use it for submixing large drum kits, or to add extra mixer channels when Reason's main mixer is starting to fill up. Each of the six channels feature level and pan controls, mute and solo buttons plus an AUX send level control. Need more sends? Extra channels? Just create another Line Mixer.

For existing Reason Adapted users, check out our Upgrade package! And if you are a registered user of a previous version of Reason, you can upgrade at a discounted price as well!

Features:

* Synths
* Samplers
* Drum machine
* ReCycle-based loop player
* Mixer
* Effects
* Pattern sequencer
* Intuitive, analog-style controls
* Infinitely expandable
* Realtime playability
* Huge sound library

Specifications:

* System requirements

Windows:
* Intel Pentium 2 or better
* 233 MHz or faster
* 64 Megabytes of RAM
* CD-ROM drive, Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP (or later)
* 256 color monitor (or better), 800x600 or larger
* A 16 bit Windows compatible audio card, preferably with an ASIO or

DirectX driver:
* Microsoft DirectX (if supported by the card)
* A MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard (or similar)

Mac OS:
* For Mac OS X: Any computer that runs Mac OS X version 10.1 or later.
* For Mac OS 9: A Power Macintosh with 604, 604e, G3 or G4 processor
* or better
* 166 MHz or faster
* 128 Megabytes of RAM + Mac OS 9.0 or later.
* CD-ROM drive
* 256 color monitor (or better), 800x600 or larger
* A MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard (or similar

KaeoFLUX

Post by KaeoFLUX »

Eyo I have Reason 3 and a bunch of ReFills.

You down to trade anything?

Got any VSTs or.. some software or something?

It will take a minute for me to get all the files.. backed them up on disc somewhere.

(You will also need to make actual cd's of the Orkester and Factory Sound banks.. just for the first time you run Reason. Then you can dump them in the Reason folder)

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Korg MicroKontrol
http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no ... egory_id=1

I was about to buy an MPC, then decided it wasn't that good an idea (money and learning curve, i pretty much know reason inside out) and picked up one of these instead.

KaeoFLUX

Post by KaeoFLUX »

yeah thats hot^^^^

The Kontrol49 looks even doper

cheat2win

Post by cheat2win »

I have an Edirol PCR-30 and I like it a lot. It's a bit smaller than the PCR-50, I think, but bigger than the Oxygen 8 that was mentioned.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

I recently bought Reason 3.0 for $200 using a student discount...that's a great deal considering it normally runs for $500.

I still haven't explored all the new features yet, but I'm really impressed with it so far. It comes with some great drum packs too.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

The Red Scare wrote:I recently bought Reason 3.0 for $200 using a student discount...that's a great deal considering it normally runs for $500.

I still haven't explored all the new features yet, but I'm really impressed with it so far. It comes with some great drum packs too.
Brand new?

Shit, I may have to look into that.

I've tinkered with 2.5 on a couple of occasions and liked what I was able to get done with it enough to seriously consider it as an option. I understand Reason doesn't support recording audio tracks, so I'd have to Rewire it to another sequencer that does, right?

sneed

Post by sneed »

The Red Scare wrote:I recently bought Reason 3.0 for $200 using a student discount...that's a great deal considering it normally runs for $500.

what did you buy it through your school? or some seperate company that takes student ids as discounts?

let me know cause I'd prolly just buy it outright

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

Most of the best ReFills (sample packs) are 3rd party and are usually cheaper than what propellerheads offers.

Also, M-audio controllers work well but apparently some people have issues with drivers. Good to carry around cause they are sturdy and pretty light. That new Alesis looks nice too.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

There are a few places online where you can by a full version of Reason 3.0 brand-spanking new for only $200. Aftrer you place your order, all you have to do is email them a picture or scanned copy of your student ID or class schedule. Its really easy, they shipped my copy the very next day.

I bought it from www.academicsuperstore.com , another place which has the discount is http://www.studica.com.

good luck

sneed

Post by sneed »

KaeoFLUX wrote:Eyo I have Reason 3 and a bunch of ReFills.

You down to trade anything?

Got any VSTs or.. some software or something?

It will take a minute for me to get all the files.. backed them up on disc somewhere.

(You will also need to make actual cd's of the Orkester and Factory Sound banks.. just for the first time you run Reason. Then you can dump them in the Reason folder)
Ok here's some stuff I have:

the new Adobe Creative Suite w/ Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign
Mac OSX Tiger
Mac iLife 05
Peak 3.0 (excellent 2 track editor/mastering)
DP 4.0 (an alternative to protools, very complicated, good prog though)
Final Cut Express

those are all Mac Based for the most part...

Please let me know cause I definately want some of those sample packs too...

Walter Sobchak
some schmuck

Post by Walter Sobchak »

is the adobe suite mac only? i want it for pc. if you cuold et me that i could send you reason 3.0 tomorow afternoon. PM me.

sneed

Post by sneed »

unfortunately it's for MAC only (well at least my discs are)

any thing else we can work out?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Just buy it.

If you burn it, you'll be going through the same exact thing that you are now when they release an update.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

edit: haha, never mind. i should give lessons on missing the point.

citizen

Post by citizen »

m-audio drivers are terrible, run from them like a scared little girl

reason refills are great in my experience, have gotten a few gigs worth on soulseek and various sample sites, but they obviously dont unpack which could be problem, but really its just annoying

i would recommend it, never had any problems with it, i was disappointed in the upgrade, should have been reason 2.6 or something

Henessee Williams

Post by Henessee Williams »

once again cable, get at me.
max@wolfsart.com