Wouldn't be anything without B.I.G.
8%

Total votes: 181

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Jay-Z

Post by Philaflava »

For as long as I can remember, I
Last edited by Philaflava on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ANT8U

Post by ANT8U »

Whenever i hear jay-z on a track i'm expectin alot more than what i actually here. definitely overrated - and i dont think he tours much to be as big as he 'is'. know what i'm sayin?

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

G.O.A.T. , just because he did it from the ground up, and he would be moreso of a paper champ if he wasn't hot during the biggy and pac time, but he was, and like you said phila, he got better with time. the man can do no wrong in my eyes.

theaggravatedjew

Post by theaggravatedjew »

I think Jay Z is great and #1 right now, but overhyped.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

I don't like the choices. To me he BECAME the best because over time he did more than other emcees. In 98 he was lucky but he ran with that luck and changed the sound of Hiphop a couple of times over with it through his approach and production choices. Swizz Beats, Timbaland, The Neptunes, Just Blaze, Kanye: whatever producer/sound was "hot" at one point in hiphop you can guarantee that Jay had the illest record over it and in the case of the last 3, he MADE them hot and introduced that sound. Add to the fact that the guy's a top shelf lyricist, has got one hell of a swagger and dropped one of the few genuine classics since 2000 and he's as good a champ as any. He didn't have it in 98 but he earned it.

As for the argument that earlier era cats were iller, I think it's a question of circumstances. Put 05 Jay in 85 or 95 with those beats and that freedom and he'd stand up. I won't dissmiss the guy cuz he happens to be around when most rappers suck.

so I'm voting GOAT, but it's more like Greatest of this era or "contender for" GOAT. Take out the "overhyped" and "good enough to be #1 today" would have been a good spot.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

If Biggie was alive, Jay would be an after thought. That's how it always was. It was Biggie, then everybody else (In terms of New York rap). But that doesn't matter, cause Jay was every bit as good as Big was lyrically.

Now as far as I'm concerned, Jay is in my top 6 all-time. I have him ranked higher then Rakim, even. Jay's dropped 2 classics, and very good albums (Vol. 3, Black Album). He's got one of the best flows ever, and is probably one of the only MCs that can rap with anyone and not sound out of place. He could do a song with Imortal Tech. and I wouldn't raise an eye brow (Ok, maybe I would, but he still wouldn't sound out of place).

He's not the illest ever (I have KRS, Kool, Nas, Big and Red ahead of him) but he's definitely worth consideration. It's not outlandish to think he is the best ever to do it.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

Hov, can definitely be put in the right place right time category, but for most successful rappers, it goes that way...everyone needs a cosign nowadays...whats funny to me though is that back when jay first got big, especially volume 1 (a very solid album), people saw the sunshine video and just saw him as a jiggy rapper...easily hated on and shit, and now he's the underground's mainstream messiah

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

HAHA, I heard the first track he ever spit on. It's amazing seeing where he's at now, and where he was then: spitting a verse on this amaaaazing new jack swing hogwash by High Potent. The evolution alone just makes me appreciate him that much more. I picked overhyped, but still number one.

avalanche

Post by avalanche »

i went with "Best rapper since Rakim or Kris'

Nav

Post by Nav »

Overrated. End of debate.

epideMIC

Post by epideMIC »

I've never fully understood the need to ask whether Jay would've been where he is if Biggie and Pac were still alive. Hey may be, he may not be, who knows. But if he wouldn't be as big, that'd would've been more a function of Biggie and Pac's beef and its ability to overshadow everything else in hip hop than of their talent. Jay is a much better emcee than Pac and is every bit as good as BIG.

To me, he's the GOAT. He's dropped 8 albums, 2 of which are classics (RD & Blueprint), 3 of which are very very good (Vol. 1, BP2, Black Album), 2 of whic hare very good (Vol. 3, Dynasty), and only one dissapointing album (Vol. 2). He's not only stayed at the top of his game and not fallen off over the years, he's evolved his style and gotten better in many ways. No one else has a comparable catalogue.

He's the jack of all trades and master of most. He probably has the most versatile flow ever - like Magneto said, he can rap with anyone and not sound out of place. His wordplay is top notch and is his specialty lyrically. But he's also an excellent third person storyteller when he chooses to be, not far removed from Nas' level (Friend or Foe, Meet the Parents). And he's made some of the most personal, introspective songs in the game - You Must Love Me, Regrets, Where Have U Been, Soon You'll Understand, Song Cry, etc. I find those songs lot more moving than the third person narratives that Nas so brilliantly crafts.

So my vote goes to GOAT.

SoulClap

Post by SoulClap »

Overrated
The game is a oxymoron; we sold free-base

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Overhyped, but good enough to be #1 today
he's still the best rapper out tho.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ackbar wrote:
Overhyped, but good enough to be #1 today
he's still the best rapper out tho.
To the masses yes. The mainstream and its critics love Jay-Z. He can do no wrong. But does that truly mean he's the best rapper or most popular? We all know people tend to follow popularity.

Nav

Post by Nav »

Funk Docta Bombay wrote: Put 05 Jay in 85 or 95 with those beats and that freedom and he'd stand up.
Put Jay-Z in 95, put Jay-Z to :

Cypress Hill - III: Temples of Boom
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
KRS-One - KRS-One
Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia

and you will see, he would just disappear in the crowds :) Maybe I missunderstood your point Funk Docta, but if not, in 95 Jay-Z and his MC-skillz have no place between the best.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

BTW, if GZA had charisma and a million dollar marketing plan with RZA-only production he would be the G.O.A.T.

If Ras Kass was 6'0 instead of 4'6 and had Primo produce his entire album and he was an artist on Jive and got Justin Timberlake to do a hook, he'd probably be talked about as being the G.O.A.T.

If Redman wasn't on Def Jam and he dropped albums regularly then he may even be the G.O.A.T.

Fact is, Jay-Z made all the right moves and with that came this bullshit crown.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Nav wrote:
Funk Docta Bombay wrote: Put 05 Jay in 85 or 95 with those beats and that freedom and he'd stand up.
Put Jay-Z in 95, put Jay-Z to :

Cypress Hill - III: Temples of Boom
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
KRS-One - KRS-One
Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia

and you will see, he would just disappear in the crowds :) Maybe I missunderstood your point Funk Docta, but if not, in 95 Jay-Z and his MC-skillz have no place between the best.
i see your point...
but reasonable doubt is already better than temples of boom, labcabincalifornia and maybe soul food.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Philaflava wrote:BTW, if GZA had charisma and a million dollar marketing plan with RZA-only production he would be the G.O.A.T.

If Ras Kass was 6'0 instead of 4'6 and had Primo produce his entire album and he was an artist on Jive and got Justin Timberlake to do a hook, he'd probably be talked about as being the G.O.A.T.

If Redman wasn't on Def Jam and he dropped albums regularly then he may even be the G.O.A.T.

Fact is, Jay-Z made all the right moves and with that came this bullshit crown.
i get that...but this is the angle that i hate.

to me...picking good beats, CONSISTENTLY making good records, adapting/creating trends, etc. is what makes you the best rapper out. i could give a fuck who can spit "the most john blaze 16" on a street corner. even lil' ray ray from the neighborhood could potentially be the GOAT. if a rapper doesn't have the career (read: albums) to back it up? who gives a fuck.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

for clarification, it always is about being in the right place at the right time.

so let's strip that aspect from mr. carter in this argument, please. it simply makes for empty cases.

epideMIC

Post by epideMIC »

ackbar and SYMantiks are on point

let's stop looking at "what if" and start looking at "what is"...otherwise you'll get caught up in an endless series of hypotheticals and the debate won't go anywhere

Nav

Post by Nav »

0k if i reallllly lower my standards we could debate over Pharcyde but Temples Of Boom and Soul Food? Best Cypress and Goodie Mobb album are worse then Reasonable doubt? Illusions and Cell Therapy over D'Evils? You need to re-listen those three records.

epideMIC : Check teh discography of KRS and Rakim, Prince Paul (if he counts), Insight,..:)

Req

Post by Req »

There is no GOAT, but when the discussion occurs, his name should definitely be brought up
F.U. MOOLAH

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

epideMIC wrote:ackbar and SYMantiks are on point
GOAT? I don't know. Favorite? By a mile.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

Jay is definitely one of the best out there at the moment. Its just that he doesnt have that much competition, he knows how to sell records and appeal to the more "underground" of hip hop.

Lance Goodthrust

Post by Lance Goodthrust »

I don

Patches O'Houlihan

Post by Patches O'Houlihan »

The whole Jay is nobody without BIG is not as relevant as where would Diddy be without BIG.

btw ...............I had sex with Katie
A new era has begun and it goes by the numbers 1,3,6

epideMIC

Post by epideMIC »

What if what if what if what if...

What if BIG hadn't died? Would he have continued to stay at the top of his game or would he have fallen off? He never lived long enough to prove what Jay has proven - the ability to still be at the top after 8 albums.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Nav wrote:0k if i reallllly lower my standards we could debate over Pharcyde but Temples Of Boom and Soul Food? Best Cypress and Goodie Mobb album are worse then Reasonable doubt? Illusions and Cell Therapy over D'Evils? You need to re-listen those three records.

epideMIC : Check teh discography of KRS and Rakim, Prince Paul (if he counts), Insight,..:)
since when is temples of boom cypress hill's best album???

lol @ check the dicography of insight

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i think you can combine like 4 of the possible things you could've voted for, and have them all still lead to his being the goat
Nets 2022

T-Wrex

Post by T-Wrex »

Jay-Z's been my favorite since Eminem fell off (M.M. LP)..
ImageImage
ImageImage