Post by Aloe »

Lemme know what you guys think..

Has.. you might recognize some of the drums in there lol

www.myspace.com/phorcebeats

pz

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

ALOE RETURNS!!!!!

I'm very happy you decided to bring your beats here mang,we'll do our best to critique you and get you up to speed

I've already told you how I feel,nice job adding some bass to "requiem",although the texture of it feels kinda rigid,might wanna take some of the high end off it with the eq feature

and the drums,in particular the snare seem kinda stiff,might wanna get used to that offset feature you discovered the other night,it would help that immensely,and make them sound more 'live'

oh and before Has tells you you're gonna have to peep some other peoples shit so you don't get your shit closed

peace man,keep it up

young nova

Post by young nova »

please ignore this guy aloe, dont mess with the eq feature at all or the offset feature.

Aloe

Post by Aloe »

lol.. everywhere i go you two are arguing

young nova

Post by young nova »

in this situatioun im 100% right though. eq'ing is highly unnecessary in most cases. i only use it for layering samples(not drums).

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

young nova wrote: eq'ing is highly unnecessary in most cases. i only use it for layering samples(not drums).
you smoking crack?

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

long time no see, loe. lets have a listen...

requiem: ahhh familiar sample, i've flipped it before myself. overall the level sounds really low on this. pretty simple for the most part but could be nice with the right emcee over it.

ralphys revenge: damn, you been digging in my crates? another sample i've flipped before. levels sound better on this...and yeah, some of those sounds definitely sound familiar. again, this feels kind of simple to me...could use another layer somewhere maybe.

what chu sayin: really nice piano on the intro, i would have looped the first bar of it and went to town. kinda spacey sounding...i like the 808ish kick, snare sounds a little light. i think you could add a few more layers to the drums to fill up the space a bit, unless you're going for space.

the overture: like the guitar here, but i think you need to do more with this. just feels like an intro kinda and i keep waiting for something more to happen. get to work cause i think this could be dope with some more tlc.

young nova

Post by young nova »

ROSARIO wrote:
young nova wrote: eq'ing is highly unnecessary in most cases. i only use it for layering samples(not drums).
you smoking crack?
taking high end off your main sample is a horrible idea, especially for someone who doesnt know the first thing about it, are YOU smoking crack? if u have good drum sounds u shouldnt have to eq them either, of course im not talking about using eq on drums str8 off a break or somethin.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

young nova wrote:
ROSARIO wrote:
you smoking crack?
taking high end off your main sample is a horrible idea, especially for someone who doesnt know the first thing about it, are YOU smoking crack? if u have good drum sounds u shouldnt have to eq them either, of course im not talking about using eq on drums str8 off a break or somethin.
sorry man, but eqing is essential to mixing a beat...unless you find the perfect set of samples that don't conflict at all in each others frequency range, you're going to need to eq them to help create their own space in the mix.

young nova

Post by young nova »

Hasenfefer wrote:
young nova wrote:
ROSARIO wrote:
you smoking crack?
sorry man, but eqing is essential to mixing a beat...unless you find the perfect set of samples that don't conflict at all in each others frequency range, you're going to need to eq them to help create their own space in the mix.

its actually highly unnecessary unless ur doing the final mix. im sure aloe doesnt know shit about eq'ing so its much smarter to just leave it alone u can get just fine quality without doing it. (im not talking about from an pro engineers perspective im talking u can still have beats good enough to shop to major labels without any eq'ing at all or shit on the radio and junk and u can ruin ur shit if u dont know what ur doing with the eq)
Last edited by young nova on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

nova shut up and go away

young nova

Post by young nova »

after so many years u should realize that just wont happen.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

ok,it's your life have fun

Clausir Jones

Post by Clausir Jones »

requiem- not really feelin the high hat in the beginning right before it drops, other than that its good/what everyone else said
Eastside 562, I say it with pride

young nova

Post by young nova »

nestle quik wrote:ok,it's your life have fun

uve been making beats for like 5 years and u still suck and sound like an amateur so u shouldnt really be talking or giving pointers

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

"Requiem" - I will die happy if nobody samples Requiem or Oldboy ever again. Period. I don't want to hear this shit anymore. Not to mention this shit is just wack. Minimalist or not, I can hardly hear anything. I don't want to listen to this, especially not for, like, 3+ minutes. Next song.

"Ralphy's Revenge" - Ahahahah. This is supercool. Do the Charleston. This is a lot of fun, really. At first, when the shit dropped out for a nice little fill or chop or whatever, I was like, "sloppy," but then I got into it, started dancing, and it was alright. Your drums are pretty interesting. Kind of novel, I like the motherfuckers. But be easy with the effects and EQ'ing on the snares. It's just a little jarring. Ok, the spacey shit's a little out of control. Calm down. The overall vibe is purdy fuckin' cool, though. You need to apply more motion to your tracks. I get tired after awhile. And echoing the same sample is not fooling me. Physically tired. Next song.

"What Chu Sayin" - God dammit, stop EQing everything to drown out the melody and the hi's. More spacey shit. But it works pretty well for your style. But certain things need to be more prominent. Especially since you put so much focus on one range (one which is pretty damn hard to hear as it is) that the track just sort of becomes forgettable. But I like what you're trying to carve. It's kind of fresh.

"The Overture" - God dammit, there you go again. Sample's nice a loud for a couple seconds, and then we mute it for some boring-ass drums. It's one thing to use old 909 and 808 kits a couple times. It's another thing to rely on them. And even ANOTHER thing to force the mood of your track into their hands. Again and again. This sample is boring. I want more. I want it to crash into a mess or becoming something bigger. Never does. Middle ground. Not enough.

Good and bad all over the place. Keep working, though.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

young nova wrote:
nestle quik wrote:ok,it's your life have fun

uve been making beats for like 5 years and u still suck and sound like an amateur so u shouldnt really be talking or giving pointers

that's 6 years bruh :grin:

thanks for your time

Aloe

Post by Aloe »

yo fereals, thanks cap'n planit

thats the realest response i`ve gotten anywhere, and its appreciated.

i`m just starting so all constructive crit is mooore than welcome.

pz

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

My pleasure, man. There's a lot to be emphasized in your work. Plenty of good to work with, especially since you seem to have the creative drive. A little bit of polish will go a long way.

tayoisnt

Post by tayoisnt »

'sup 'loe. ph connect all day every gotdamn 4 years.

heh.

anyhoo, s'dope to know you're working on this beat shit now.

the overture - hm. it's a dope base with an overbearing low end. like, i dunno, j-lo from in living color days before her dad thought she was old enough to go to the roller rink with a tall motherfucker. the guitar line is really listenable, but, nothing happens to it. gears don't shift, route doesn't change, this shit goes to the fridge and back 40 times without adding any minced garlic to the olive oil, if y'dig. it's a good place to start from, now finish.

requiem - can't hate on the flanging. god help me, but i can't hate on the flanging. the bassline is well organized, complimentary. blackstrap molasses to the melody line's cinnamon and flour. the drums are pretty softbatch though, no real guts to 'em. the pattern is fine, but, it needs a little chutzpah to really make sense. props on adding the synth stabs a little further in, gives the bitch some legs worth walking beside. nice money.

ralphy - ha, for some reason this feels like something brewin would rock extremely well while extremely drunk. little too stiff to really make me loosen up, but, the central theme is solid. play around with the chops a bit, oh, whoops, then you did. the drop out to the bass is pretty fly, makes it immediately relevant to an mc who wants to get busy over such holes. props.

whatchu sayin - wouldn't connect for me.

good money, homie.
got more records than god.

www.myspace.com/tayoisnt is where i show how i use 'em.