Post by Hasenfefer »

The Red Scare:

"Catatonic."

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 90837&q=hi

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 90837&q=lo

Tayo:

"You Were Running While She Died"

http://www.zebox.com/tayoisnt
Last edited by Hasenfefer on Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

after careful consideration, I am going to have to give it to red scare. Overall, I liked tayo's better on the first round, but on the final (and deciding round) I liked the energy that red's track had. the buildups with all the samples are great.

tayo's was nice. the main loop was really good, but when it went into the more minimalistic parts I felt it was lacking something. still, a very good beat.

props guys.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I find both entries to be pretty solid. Went with tayo in the end - the vocal chops and bass loop pushed it over the edge for me.

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

hard decision. eventually it just came down to which one i liked more on repeated listens and which one i'd rather rap on. Scare's drum's were monstorous but I wanted a stronger sample kinda. Tayo's drums are really subtley dope and it just came out a smidge better to me. Honestly if there was an option for a tie this round i probably would of pressed that button.

TheEnglishProfessorGuy
Extortionist

Post by TheEnglishProfessorGuy »

I think Red Scares was better. The drums were somethin amazing. I also loved the sample work.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

even though both were made extremely well. im a sucker for head nodders. im gonna have to go with tayo on this, mainly cause he was an easier listen. both are dope.

vote tayo.

Martin

Post by Martin »

red scare's is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. not even a comparison in my opinion.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

this should be a tie.

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

both were great.

Red Scare -- I love the drums on this. Amazing. Horn use was great, as well.

Tayo -- bass and sample chopping were next level.

In the end, I went with Tayo, just because the beat is more my style and because it got stuck in my head.

But it was a really tough call.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i split my vote

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Yeah, much like the others who've already responded, my decision was based primarily on my tastes, considering neither was substantially proficiently ahead of the other. I've heard more impressive outings from both of you technically, but these are both very decent. But I just liked Tayo's vibe more than Red Scare's. Good job on both ends, though.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus »

both beats were execptional. dope drum programming on red scares part. hard choice to make, but i'll listen more.

compositionally, red scare's track is consistent, but i thought that maybe there would be another movement. the track falls a little short in time, but i think if there was another movement to this track it would just put a big fat red cherry on top. otherwise the mixing is really superb.

tayo's beat is really subtle. the chopping techniques are really clean, and effective in its melodic structure. i can definetly tell this is a tayo beat because it soudns like he has his signature style so far. like red scare's beat, the track stays in the same pattern and im always wishing for a subtle movement or change up. seeing as your both showing your capabilities on the beats and all, i was kind of expecting more from tayo since i've heard some outstanding songs with a dynamic elements in his music.

stylisticly their both original attempts to show your technical efforts, and i think that's what counts. i think both beats had similar compositions and great mixing. programming wise, i think think red scare put on a better blend of samples together. both beats are really good but im going to have to give it to red scare by a hair's lead.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

what I'm tryna find out is how redscare got that teakettle bubble noise goin over those bassnotes?dope horn/violin sample goin here,damn where the fuck are these samples in the original soundtrack,I completely missed all these fat sounds,this is pretty catchy work for you redscare,your shit isnt usually this aggressive but this is dope,digigng all the layering,it's very well put together,plus lets not even get started on the drums,this is a great beat,but that horn stab that comes through the m9ix is a little peircing I think,still tonewise it fits decent enough I think

Tayo-man this chopjob is amazing,I can barely pick out these sounds from that original sample even as it was palying right before it,you sick sick bastard,liking the way that kick is thumping,but the snare stands out a little too far in the mix in my opinion,could use some reverbing/eqing I tihnk,this is some sick pete rock styled shit right here,not even sounding like a cheap imatation either but the real thing,I dig this immensely,wheras Red Scare went for the expansive heavily layered composition you took a more minimalist approach and focused on clever flipping of tiny chunks of samples

this is a very even match,so I gotta look at who pulled off their angle more flawlessly,redscare's beat was raw,tay's was just earbutter(that sounds kind of gross)

the only thing that really didn't rub me right was the lack of reverb on your snare tay,had it been a little liver sounding I think the beat would have really taken off,but the chopping was tons more ingenius than redscares layering imo,this is gonna take a moment to decide

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

red scare - nice layers, felt a little too locked in - a breakdown would have been nice - also a little clinical.

tayo - moves along nicely, don't much like those hats (could be mp3), nice warm feeling to it. heard ten times better from tayo.

red scare it is.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

voting ends tomorrow (sun) just letting everyone know.

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

yeah, i went with red scare on this one

great stoner morning decision

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

IT'S LOOKIN' CLOSE.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

damn, all tied up. going to extend the voting for another day or two till we have a winnar.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

must...refrain....from....voting...for....self

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

question, dumb: are these the same beats used in previous rounds or were new beats submitted for each round?
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

New beats.

Your vote LITERALLY makes teh diffarence!!! GET TO WORK.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

i like the energy in scare's but i'm a sucker for mellow stuff... plus i really liked the usage of the woman humming and the 'you were running' vocal parts.

tayo got it.

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

looks like tayo got this by the slimmest of margins.

congrats and nice work by redscare as well.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

oh poop.

congrats Tayo, you deserved it. your first beat was easily the best of the whole competition, IMO. Can't wait to hear Can-U (and that other emcee :ohsh:) rock it.
Last edited by The Red Scare on Thu May 18, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

Damn, is there any archive for all the beats I missed? I sleep on this forum too damn much.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

ChristPuncher wrote:Damn, is there any archive for all the beats I missed? I sleep on this forum too damn much.
Group A: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53995
Group B: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53996

A couple people have taken down their beats though

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

^ cool, thank you.