sample clearance???

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

M:akai

sample clearance???

Post by M:akai »

what is the best way to go about clearing a sample??? i remember there was a thread before that had a web address for a website that lets you find the rates for samples from tons of different sources, anybody still know it??? would be much appreciated thx

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

unless its some big shit, i clear a sample like such

"yo sample, you're on my record."

it's an easy process

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

really, unless you're planning on moving 10k units or up, you don't need to worry about getting samples cleared. getting sued for not clearing a sample is kind of a good thing cause it means you've sold enough copies to be worth suing.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

Can-U wrote:unless its some big shit, i clear a sample like such

"yo sample, you're on my record."

bwahaha

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Hasenfefer wrote:really, unless you're planning on moving 10k units or up, you don't need to worry about getting samples cleared. getting sued for not clearing a sample is kind of a good thing cause it means you've sold enough copies to be worth suing.
unfortunatly this isnt always true anymore...

i know of 2 people that have gotten "snagged" that were under 10k (im not going to blow up anyones spot, but its indie artists that you are familiar with)

in one no legal actions were taken... but they were contacted and had to either clear the sample or remove the song... he solved the problem by remixing the song and repressing the album... dont remember what the sample was but it would of cost him $5000 to clear it..

the other guy got caught and just decided to stop pressing the album... selling off the remaining copies he had on hand at shows and on the net

either way... unless you are selling 10k units or already on the radar its probably not worth it financially for you to you to clear the sample

M:akai

Post by M:akai »

thanks all, but i dont really give a shizen about clearin em, i just needed to know what that website was so i can do this project for schoolin. thanks for all the feed though