some beats

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

nestle quik

some beats

Post by nestle quik »

been a minute,been trying to get a better handle on my mixes,not sure if I've visibly improved all that much

Harlem Boogie-just a simple beat in the Illmind rapper remix style of a basic loop with a few sound sadded ontop here and there

Bloop-kinda bad panning on this,the rhythym guitar is off to one side wasn't really sure how to get rid of it or putting it more at the center without making it mono

Splash,some incomplete ish I did,will add a bassline for this soon enough,but I think I did a good job on this for what it is

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... ndID=52128

don't eat me alive plz

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

harlem boogie was cool. the drums seem off to me at spots in an off rhythm type way. i like the screaching sound, sounds like one of those squeaky metal hospital carts.

bloop was proper. mc friendly like a mf. i really dig this one. can't really comment on the panning since my speakers aren't set up the way i want them right now.

splash - shit is fresh. i'd love to hear nas spit over this. no complaints here man. horns were a nice touch.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I like Harlem Boogie too, although that squeaking sound is a bit loud maybe. Also, I think you could do something more with the drums - add a bit to them perhaps. I like the ideas, but it sounds kind of unfinished.

Bloop is real nice. Loving this one, especially the horn sample that comes in every few bars. Good shit.

Again, Splash is real nice although it reminds me a lot of something else (can't think what it is though). It's a real head nodder and the horns are the icing on the cake.

SkylarjohnsoN

Post by SkylarjohnsoN »

Harlem Boogie:
Liked it...someone above said the drums sound a little off in part of the loop, I kinda agree...don't know if it's the drums or the bassline or what. But when words are added I bet you don't even notice it.

You some quailty beats. A lot of them have that good ol' boombap feel.
Give yourself a pat on the back.
User #100

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Don't listen to anybody. Your drums are dope as shit as they are. They don't need to be toyed with. These beats all require a neckbrace. I want to hear some shit with vocals over it from you.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

harlem boogie - this is so dope. damn. love that flute whistle release, whatever that sound is. the chops are great, drums sound great. cant say anything bad about it. except that the chorus isnt really defined. dope shit

bloop - again, real chill, real dope. i have no constructive criticizm about this cause everything you did i would have done. real short. but to the point. another good one.

splash - needs more cowbell, nah im kiddin. this ones good too. not as wicked bad as the others. but the unique style is there, and there isnt much to say bad about it. you know what your doin. good shit.

tayoisnt

Post by tayoisnt »

splash - i swear, your shit makes me wish i was 16 again, forming callouses on the tip of my index finger running back wordsworth cameos on mike zoot b-sides. gotdamn. it's incredibly committed to the sound that made you want to make sounds, i think. props due. the horn line is fresh as all get out, gangs of space for an mc to get busy. well done, dude.

bloop - dug this the first time i heard it, appreciate it far more heavily now. the bassline crawls in like a commando looking to plant an msg inhibitor in ruben studdard's colon. slow, darkly, and with great intentions. marvelous. the horn line is fucking brilliant too. good job at figuring out how to layer shit without getting all unnecessarily distracting, unlike my fuckwadded mind and fingers. drums knock properly, not terribly busy, but they do what needs to be done. good money.

harlem boogie - golly. now this is fucking fresh. i wish you could up the energy a bit, like, add some shakers and hats and other percussive elements to add a little urgency. i dig the slummterfucked movement, but it seems like the fourth violin stab in the sequence is a little more than quantized off the beat. like, it'd make madlib put out his stogie and listen all the more closely. but, beyond all that, the shit is FRESH. ill dig, good chop, well organized. marvelous, sonson.
got more records than god.

www.myspace.com/tayoisnt is where i show how i use 'em.

bizzlestiltskin

Post by bizzlestiltskin »

sorry for taking so long. I haven't been able to make a decent beat in a while, man. I got no fucking samples that inspire me.

harlem boogie--this is sloppy, but it works. you should have produced for MF doom on operation doomsday, seriously you got that vibe on lock. this is dope in it's own way. it's like sloppy but yet there's something about it that makes it good. cool shit man.

bloop-ahh yes, you got a bassline on this. I'd boost that shit up a bit though so it stands up more. This is fresh though. Kinda airy and tropical. Nice chopping on this man.

splash-this has potential man. Seriously, if freaked in the right way this would be awesome. What i'm trying to say is that if you chopped it differently it would give it more energy. This is cool though man.

This is probably the best batch of beats i've heard from you nestle. your drums have gotten noticeably better, and there aren't any real mixing issues that I noticed. good shit man. perfect your style and get mf doom to buy one of your beats.
"I'm platinum, bitch. And I didn't have to sell out." -- Ice Cube

http://www.myspace.com/doledrums
http://www.soundclick.com/lilbizzo

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

thanks for responding,and yeah bizzle you produce like a madman,I got the exact opposite style,I stockpile mad sampels faster than I can churn beats out,I've been itching to just start churning shit out again assembly -line style but I don't got the entire mixing process down to a science enough to feel comfortable like that

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

harlem-- ughh...that sweaking sound is too loud, its giving me a headache. I dig the guitar and the bass though. This does sound like something that Doom would rap over. Its a messy track, but in a good way. I think it could be filled out with another sample or two...its kinda simple for my taste at least. regardless, nice work.

bloop-- bloop. haha. I really like the guitar in this, you're good with those basslines. And the horn fits perfectly....very catchy. Kinda was hoping for a big changeup, but I guess this is just a snippit of the track. dope stuff man, this got my head noddin'

splash-- guitar is dope in this too. horns are cool, especially the ones that come in around 1:00. nice shit man...i'd like to hear this as a full track.

peace.