Crazy stupid Reason questions: Help a retard

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Captin Planit

Crazy stupid Reason questions: Help a retard

Post by Captin Planit »

#1. How do I learn how to use this?

#2. Can I use VSTs (like that Hypersonic plug-in) with Reason?

#3. Am I gonna want to go back to FL once I get rolling with Reason?

#4. Can I use the two in tandum?

Help please.

DeffEnders

Post by DeffEnders »

#1: play around with it and read the help file. It isn't very intuitive in some parts though. Heres a tip: press the tab button to turn everthing around. That helped me make sense of it.

#2: Reason does not support VSTs. You also cannot record with reason so you are limiting yourself using reason alone.

#3: If you are easily frustrated - yes. Reason does have a higher ceiling though so stick with it.

#4: I guess, but it would be redundant. Use reason with Logic or Pro Tools or whatever DAW you use that supports ReWire

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yeah I've seen the Reason-Fruity Loops rewire. I haven't tried it myself yet. But I may do so one day in the near future. I need to familialirze myself with the program more. It's powerful indeed.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Reason 3.0 comes with some pretty decent PDF tutorials. If you don't have them I could upload them, but they should be in the program's folder.

Reason is really powerful once you learn the basics... stay with it and you'll be glad you did.

Also, I recommend getting Recycle, which is a great sample editor that creates .rex files that work really well with Reason.

citizen

Post by citizen »

im amazed at the sound quality you can get with 3.0

if you know how to work your effects and wiring of devices to each other, its surprisingly powerful and versatile

ive never messed with vsts so i guess i dont know what im missing

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

#1 - play around with the instruments

#2 - yes, rewire to cubase(you dont need vsts if your rocking reason 3, shit has it all)

#3 - FL is for noobs

#4 - umm sure

#5 - ?????

#6 - Profit

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

ROSARIO wrote:#3 - FL is for noobs
:lol:

maybe i'm missing something, but what can reason do that FL can't?

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Hasenfefer wrote:

Make you super-pretentious.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

Hasenfefer wrote:

its just easier to use, thats why its for noobs haha
:rickjames:

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

ROSARIO wrote:
Hasenfefer wrote:

its just easier to use, thats why its for noobs haha
:rickjames:
you didn't answer my question though.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

it can use rex files, easiest way to chop samples. it has a better, easier interface. what is has that FL doesnt, it has hte real sounding orkester and factory soundbank. The main difference between the two, is FL is mainly a loopbased production program, as Reason is better for both.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Doesn't Fruity Loops have Rewire, so you could essentially use Reason as a type of VST within Fruity Loops?

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

ROSARIO wrote:it can use rex files, easiest way to chop samples. it has a better, easier interface. what is has that FL doesnt, it has hte real sounding orkester and factory soundbank. The main difference between the two, is FL is mainly a loopbased production program, as Reason is better for both.
1. fl has a beatslicer which chops up samples pretty easily...and i don't need to open another program to chop samples. it also has an onboard sound editor.

2. easier interface? 2 posts ago you said FL was easier to use. reason's interface is anything but easier to use.

3. i use sampletank and hypersonic VSTi's along with a bunch of others which give you the same ability and access to soundbanks as you get with reason.

4. if you think FL is just a loopbased production program you obviously haven't used it much. and if you have then you've never gotten into all its features. reason doesnt even support live audio input recording, so right there is a big feature FL has that reason doesnt. i can record my samples, chop them up, sequence the track, record vocals or cuts, and mix it all down in FL. reason can't do that.

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

plus FL isn't 2 gig's large

PiThief

Post by PiThief »

reason is 2 gigs large for a reason.

to has:
I think its probably better then fruity loops because of the extent that you can manipulate and fatten up sounds. Version 2.0 and below are fairly primitive but 2.5 and 3.0 will keep you occupied for a long time while you learn all of its tricks. I'm really no expert myself so I'm not the authority to break it down for you, but i know proffesional muscians who live off music who will swear up and down by this program. If your interested i can email you a pdf of its features or something. I also have two manuals that i got from oink that talk directly about learning to adjust your sounds. anyway, ramble on bbooooya

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

PiThief wrote:to has:
I think its probably better then fruity loops because of the extent that you can manipulate and fatten up sounds.
again, nothing that FL can't do. not to toot my own horn, but i've gotten plenty of compliments on my mixing and overall sound, and it's all done through FL.

and for the record i have reason, i've used it for tracks before but usually just to sequence out some of their synths before i got into using VSTi's in FL. if you want to post up those manuals that would be cool though.

PiThief

Post by PiThief »

Reason 3 Overdrive! Expert Quick Tips.pdf

I also have a few others if anyone wants.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

PiThief wrote:
Reason 3 Overdrive! Expert Quick Tips.pdf

I also have a few others if anyone wants.
that's dope. more definitely appreciated.

thanks!

PiThief

Post by PiThief »

your welcome. heres another-
Reason 3 Power!.pdf

Johnny Cherry

Post by Johnny Cherry »

Its a stupid argument, they are both different tools which both have their pros and cons but for the simple fact that you can host vst's makes for me Fruity Loops infinitely better. The new 6.1 update adds a really nice feature that lets you sample a channel on the fly and cut it up.
Yes Reason comes with a libary of sounds but I would much rather use a pro libary in a powerful sampler like Kontakt 2. Reasons a cool program but its not for me and ive always found Rewire a fucking norz.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

thanks PiThief!!

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Johnny Cherry wrote:norz
What does this mean?

Johnny Cherry

Post by Johnny Cherry »

Captin Planit wrote:
Johnny Cherry wrote:norz
What does this mean?
Annoying,

Some examples: "Mate, your a fucking norz". Or "This cup of tea's norzing me blud". (I don't know why a cup of tea would be norzing someone though)

British Slang.