The Greatest Producer of All-Time (Poll)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Greatest Producer of All-Time

DJ Premier
34%
Pete Rock
11%
Prince Paul
10%
RZA
28%
Dr. Dre
8%
The Bomb Squad
1%
Rick Rubin
5%
Diamond D
1%
Large Professor
No votes
Kanye West
2%

Total votes: 191

alpha

Post by alpha »

zev_luv_next wrote:shaking my head in disbelief...are you clowns really going to tell me that you don't respect Madlib's work?...honestly???

Havoc=A dope, grimy and raw producer, but he hasn't done anything like he used to for years and the last few albums are not even close to what he is capable of.

Muggs=Had his day, but fell off after the 3rd Cypress album... really boring now and the lastest C Hill album is wack.

Tribe=? eh????....

and Gregg Poopabitch
why did you mention Buck 65 in a post praising Madlib;s work..that seems a bit odd ...are you alright?.....not take the medication today?
useem to be missing the point that this a GOAT poll. oh yeah, madlib called, he wants his nuts back

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

zev_luv_next wrote: Tribe=? eh????....
A Tribe Called Quest...including all the beats Tip did for other people.

this is all-time, ild rather listen to my favorite Havoc or Muggs beats then my favorite Madlib beats.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

i heard that backpacks are used for holding crills nowadays.

OMNI

Post by OMNI »

zev_luv_next wrote:shaking my head in disbelief...are you clowns really going to tell me that you don't respect Madlib's work?...honestly???

Havoc=A dope, grimy and raw producer, but he hasn't done anything like he used to for years and the last few albums are not even close to what he is capable of.

Muggs=Had his day, but fell off after the 3rd Cypress album... really boring now and the lastest C Hill album is wack.

Tribe=? eh????....
First of all, its very debatable if Madlib is better then any of these guys NOW. But to say that he has a better catalogue should get you banned from this site.

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

i have mad respect for madlib, but his supporter in this argument is borderline dick riding.

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

nothing I'm fine..If not astounded at the choices of some of you..

sneed

Post by sneed »

Rubin, no one is touching him...BUT rubins role as a producer is different from that of premiers...I'd put rubin in the same group as I would dre

alpha

Post by alpha »

Cable wrote:Rubin, no one is touching him...BUT rubins role as a producer is different from that of premiers...I'd put rubin in the same group as I would dre
thats what im sayin. people are judging off beats. i'd say change the name to "GOAT:beatmaker" then RZA would get my vote. by PRODUCER has to be RUbin or dre

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

borderline dick riding
????..For fucks sake, grow up fuckhead.....It is my opinion, Madlib is dope, Kanye is not, Dre sold out and makes wack beats and has done for the past 5 years, I can see I am arguing with a brick wall here, I just personally don;t see how kanye was chosen over Madlib in this poll, and you have to be on crack to tell me you don;t feel Madlib's production.

Fuck it, I'm going to Stones Throw heads there know...

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

i don't take any medication.

but your blatant underground bias should lead someone to prescribe something for you.

underground vs. mainstream ended a long time ago, cabbage patch.

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

zev_luv_next wrote:
borderline dick riding
????..For fucks sake, grow up fuckhead.....It is my opinion, Madlib is dope, Kanye is not, Dre sold out and makes wack beats and has done for the past 5 years, I can see I am arguing with a brick wall here, I just personally don;t see how kanye was chosen over Madlib in this poll, and you have to be on crack to tell me you don;t feel Madlib's production.

well, i agree with you that kanye has no place on the poll, but for the same reason why he doesnt belong there, madlib doesnt either.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

you must've missed the post where kanye is a joke.

i hold kanye and madlib in the same regard.

and i'd still pick kanye over madlib.

(waits for new medication joke)

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

zpt4 wrote:
zev_luv_next wrote:
borderline dick riding

well, i agree with you that kanye has no place on the poll, but for the same reason why he doesnt belong there, madlib doesnt either.
exactly man. he said the same thing i'm trying to but less condescending.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

zev_luv_next wrote:
borderline dick riding

EARTH TO ZEV_LUV_NEXT, KANYE WAS A JOKE.

its been said like three times in this thread, homie.
zev_luv_next wrote:
ummm yea, and if you went to Aftermath...guess who they say (one of) the best producers of alltime is?
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

double
Last edited by Dunnnnleavy on Sun May 09, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

lol at cabbage patch...

You kids are not giving me any reasons on why you think Madlib doesn;t deserve to be on that list why not?

http://www.stonesthrow.com/madlib/discography.html

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

zev_luv_next wrote:
lol at cabbage patch...

You kids are not giving me any reasons on why you think Madlib doesn;t deserve to be on that list why not?

http://www.stonesthrow.com/madlib/discography.html

his catalog holds no weight next to those on the list. do i think he can be on that list in the future, yes, but as of right now his quantity and quality is just leagues behind others on that list (minus kanye)

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

thanks for your opinion..I disagree though...and I can tell you that the Jaylib and Madvillian albums are light years ahead of the Bobby Digital albums...i
Last edited by zev_luv_next on Mon May 10, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

i dunno. maybe its cause i've only heard the radio-friendly version of champion sound, but i liked madvilliany a lot better.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

i disagree.

the first bobby digital album is one of the most underappreciated albums imo. there are songs on there that just blow cerebrals out the skull.

the second bobby digi half is good and the other half is like wtf. but the half that is good, he has gems in there.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

wait a second. since you want to compare.

let's compare madlib's work to rza's work in:

liquid swords
tical
gravediggaz
wutang forever
36 chambers
return to the 36 chambers
ironman

it's no comparison.

SYM

Post by SYM »

i will go ahead and say that while rza with his catalog is better, madlib with his catalog is much more diverse.

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

zev_luv_next wrote:thanks for your opinion..I disagree though...and I can tell you that the Jaylib and Madvillian albums are light years ahead of the Bobby Digital albums...i

i like the bob digis more but thats not a bad argument.

as for comparing madvillain and jaylib to 36 chambers, liquid swords, ob4cl, or ironman and you have madlib getting his ass whipped and then torn off and fed to pigs.

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

SYMantiks wrote:i will go ahead and say that while rza with his catalog is better, madlib with his catalog is much more diverse.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

now that the initial shock has worn off ill just :lol:

SYM

Post by SYM »

i guess i only said that because of the types of music he has worked with. not necessarily his production style.

i shoulda been more clear.

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

SYMantiks wrote:i guess i only said that because of the types of music he has worked with. not necessarily his production style.

i shoulda been more clear.

ok, you may have an argument there. rza production style is very fuckin diverse so i was kinda like WHOA. while diverse it is usually always in the grimey catagory though.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

quit bickering you little bitches before krs-thun locks this thread.

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

First off sorry for bieng a little aggresive in my first posts..I had some bad news today....

This is my final say on the matter...I think Madlib should be on that list, as he is released so much dope music, since he first broke on to the scene in 1993.

I am huge DJ Premier and Pete Rock fan, I grew up on Prince Paul and The Bomb Squad (have you heard It Takes A Nation Of..lately?), Dr Dre too right up to Snoops 1st album, I held him in the highest regard..RZA has some classic albums under his belt there is no doubt about that, but these days he is hit and miss and he has made some terrible records in the past few years, Diamond D and Large Pro are legends and I am pleased they are there.

I just personally think Madlib should be there over Kanye West as Madlib is much more creative and diverse, than flavour of the year Kanye...and I would choose The Beatnuts over Rick Rubin...(although id o understand why he is there)

Madlib is an incredible producer, and he branches out from hip hop as well, while some of you may not like all the YNQ et al material you should appreciate it, look at his resume, it;s ill..

Maybe in 10 years he might be on that list, but I find it a little strange some of you don;t rate him highly...

zpt4

Post by zpt4 »

zev_luv_next wrote:First off sorry for bieng a little aggresive in my first posts..I had some bad news today....

This is my final say on the matter...I think Madlib should be on that list, as he is released so much dope music, since he first broke on to the scene in 1993.

I am huge DJ Premier and Pete Rock fan, I grew up on Prince Paul and The Bomb Squad (have you heard It Takes A Nation Of..lately?), Dr Dre too right up to Snoops 1st album, I held him in the highest regard..RZA has some classic albums under his belt there is no doubt about that, but these days he is hit and miss and he has made some terrible records in the past few years, Diamond D and Large Pro are legends and I am pleased they are there.

I just personally think Madlib should be there over Kanye West as Madlib is much more creative and diverse, than flavour of the year Kanye...and I would choose The Beatnuts over Rick Rubin...(although id o understand why he is there)

Madlib is an incredible producer, and he branches out from hip hop as well, while some of you may not like all the YNQ et al material you should appreciate it, look at his resume, it;s ill..

Maybe in 10 years he might be on that list, but I find it a little strange some of you don;t rate him highly...

i think your problem is your thinking best right now, in which yes, madlib should be on that list without question. but despite your argument, i cant see him on best of ALL TIME yet.

zev_luv_next

Post by zev_luv_next »

^so how does Kanye get on there then?