SL JONES "C.O.L.O.R.S. (Bangin On Wax)" album (200

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Sucka Ducka

SL JONES "C.O.L.O.R.S. (Bangin On Wax)" album (200

Post by Sucka Ducka »

From Killer Mikes Grind Time Rap Gang. This came out a few months ago I think, but I don't remember anybody talking about it. Has anyone heard this? Does anyone have it? I might just have to order, its $6.99 for 21 songs:

http://www.myspace.com/sljonesy

http://cdbaby.com/cd/sljones

[quote]L Jones

When Martin Luther King said he dreamed of a world where people were not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character, his followers imagined that scene just as much as he did. But the reality is that in the decades that followed his ג€œI Have A Dreamג€ speech, colors have separated neighborhoods, small towns and big cities across America more than he could ever have thought. Little Rock, Arkansasג€™ SL Jones is a product of that separation, but his debut solo album C.O.L.O.R.S. aims to be the glue that puts this puzzled society of ours back together.

In SLג€™s mind, C.O.L.O.R.S. means Collectively Organizing Leaders Offering A Revolutionary State of Mind. But it wasnג€™t always like that. Similar to when he says ג€œlose enough homies, pretty soon you become a goonג€ on his colorful, slow-dragging single ג€œSags-N-Flags,ג€ Jones was pulled into Little Rockג€™s much-documented gang lifestyle.

ג€œג€œYou got people you consider your friends who are in a gang and one day you out somewhere and people just start mugging you because youג€™re with them,ג€ says the rapper born Bryan Charles Jones in Flint, Michigan. ג€œYou not defending your hood, you just fighting with your friends. But after that, they refer you as one of them. When they say ג€˜what up cuz? Youג€™re gonna respond back.ג€

Coming up on the Little Rock section known as 23rd & Wolfe, Jones blended into his surroundings, but he never allowed himself to become just another brick in the wall, or worst, a crossed-out name on it. He stayed involved in various community and after-school programs to expose himself to every option, thought or book the world had to offer. When he did choose to get into hustling, he took his grandfatherג€™s advice and always kept a part-time job. He would eventually attend Philander Smith College and take an interest in rapping in addition to pursuing a degree in Art. A self-proclaimed expert in English, putting the words together was never a challenge for Jones, but the presentation was a worry.

ג€œIn Little Rock, rap became the soundtrack for the gang violence,ג€ he reflects, mentioning that rival gangs would change the words of song by artist such as Snoop Dogg to personalize certain verses and make them insults. ג€œThe same way a basketball player gets amped to his favorite song, street cats were the same way. I didnג€™t want people to listen to what Iג€™m saying and think Iג€™m promoting it. There is a thin line between documentation and glorification.ג€

When Jones actually began recording music, it didnג€™t take long for it to reach the right ears. Through mutual friends and family, Jonesג€™ music fell into the lap of Outkast prot

sleazy_j

Re: SL JONES "C.O.L.O.R.S. (Bangin On Wax)" album (200

Post by sleazy_j »

so this dude became Cuz Lightyear?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cuz/id1048034378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"This Sh*t Bang
by CPGRIMES
Formerly known as SL Jones...made bangers back in the day...now he's back as Cuz Lightyear. I saw him live last week performing this album...Dope Beats & Lyrics!"

I kept seeing this dude listed as an opening act for the Run The Jewels tours, and once I saw pics of him I figured Killer Mike was trying to put dude on, but not really doing any advertising for him, just letting him tour. market yourself, dude.

that also had me wondering what was up with SL Jones.

i was bored and looked up the smoking section since i hadn't been there in forever.
i saw they posted a video for Cuz, so i peeped. then i saw that itunes link in the youtube info.
not really feeling this stuff, but it also answers the question of what happened to dude.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

The album he did with Burn One is still the best shit he did. There are some cuts from that I still listen to from time to time.

Paraphernalia I think.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myself

Post by myself »

He was featured on the Record Store Day 2015 "Bust No Moves" release, which was the #3 seller behind Jack White and Metallica. His name changed sometime in between that being announced and released because the credit changed from featuring SL Jones to Featuring "CUZ."