EPMD vs. De La Soul

De La Soul
73%
EPMD
27%

Total votes: 83

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

de la soul is the best rap group of all time.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Combo7 wrote:I wouldn't call it an overjocking of Stakes Is High, if anything it's an underjocking of their Prince Paul shit, which I always thought was good but not particularly great.
ugh..

i agree with the two others. by no means a bad record.. but stakes is high was a dissapointment when it dropped in comparison to the first 3 records

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

stakes is high is incredible...id put it second best in their catalog behind de la is dead....and 3 feet high and rising is way more overrated than stakes...in fact i dont find to many people at all who think stakes is anything more than a very good to great album

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

clark bent wrote:stakes is high is incredible...id put it second best in their catalog behind de la is dead....and 3 feet high and rising is way more overrated than stakes...in fact i dont find to many people at all who think stakes is anything more than a very good to great album
:larry::larry::larry::larry::larry::larry::larry::larry::larry::larry:
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

De La since they stuck together and never broke up over the years. EPMD was strong but I think the split hurt them.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

De La obviously.

strictly business is one of my favorite rap debuts though.

B. Ware tha Siniq

I'd say this poll has AIDS, but I guess I have to keep in mind the preferences of this board.

Pharcyde would probably beat out EPMD in a poll on here.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

^^ Probably? Their first album blew out One For All and The War Report in that little tournament we had back in September. Shit is embarassing.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Combo7 wrote:^^ Probably? Their first album blew out One For All and The War Report in that little tournament we had back in September. Shit is embarassing.
Yeah I remember, one of the most depressing things to happen on this forum in quite some time.

Thun

Post by Thun »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Combo7 wrote:^^ Probably? Their first album blew out One For All and The War Report in that little tournament we had back in September. Shit is embarassing.
Yeah I remember, one of the most depressing things to happen on this forum in quite some time.
I am infuriated just thinking about it.

The War Report, fine. But One For All? That's emphatically now cipher, god.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

the production alone on bizarre ride is 1000 times > war report...j swift was out of his mind on that record...its a brilliant album

definitely not better than one for all tho

sunsp4rk

Post by sunsp4rk »

Man, there is no comparison between EPMD and De La....

De La should be compared to ATCQ..

EPMD should be compared to DAS EFX
"Just do it" - Nike

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

I enjoyed Bizarre Ride more than The War Report...Tragedy was really one of the only saving graces on that album

B. Ware tha Siniq

sunsp4rk wrote:Man, there is no comparison between EPMD and De La....

You've made some pretty bizarre/terrible posts in your short career here, and this is by far the worst.

Thun

Post by Thun »

You're a fag.

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Post by Conscious »

http://bondfireradio.com #thefutureofradio

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Post by Conscious »

I wonder how many that voted in the poll for De La turn around and said EPMD in the thread.

sunsp4rk

Post by sunsp4rk »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

You've made some pretty bizarre/terrible posts in your short career here, and this is by far the worst.
Why because I dont agree with the status quo here?

Let me ask you this. Why should you compare DE LA to EPMD? Their styles are different. One similarity is that they are all from Long Island. I grew up in their hood man, freeport/roosevelt. Used to go out to Wyandanch and Amityville all the time. I mean thats the only similarity I see between the two groups.....what similarities do you see?

Apples to apples comparison is De La and ATCQ.....

Apples to oranges = waste of time.

ATCQ albums :

* 1990: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
* 1991: The Low End Theory
* 1992: Revised Quest for the Seasoned Traveller
* 1993: Midnight Marauders
* 1996: Beats, Rhymes and Life
* 1998: The Love Movement

DE LA SOUL Albums:

* 3 Feet High and Rising (1989)
* De La Soul is Dead (1991)
* Buhloone Mindstate (1993)
* Stakes Is High (1996)
* Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump (2000)
* AOI: Bionix (2001)
* The Grind Date (2004)

These two groups are similar in styles....both have jazzy feels to their albums..non gangster ish(epmd is street/gangsterish/hood shit) their beats are more rugged.....the atmosphere on their songs are different than DE LA and ATCQ...

So comparing DE LA AND ATCQ...i say its a TIE...

DE LA AND EPMD...two diff styles...I like them both equally....

Stakes is high...is a dope ass album...especially the title track.
"Just do it" - Nike

sunsp4rk

Post by sunsp4rk »

Paragraph President wrote:EPMD brought the world K-Solo, Das Efx, Keith Murray, and Redman.

De La Brought us Tribe, Truth Enola, Shortie No Mas, and Mos Def.

Punk Barbarians win!
Ha, I remember the Punk Barbarians....one of em is a graduate of Freeport High School...i remember heads talking about them in school..

man EPMD and PE brought out Hyenas of the desert at the same time as Punk Barbarians.
"Just do it" - Nike

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Maybe my memory's fucked up, but Roger haven't you always jocked De La? Where's this post-partem (sp?) coming from? Wasn't it you that said the first AOI was a perfect album?

Pos and Trugoy > Eric Sermon and Parrish Smith. Prince Paul > every producer except like 3 or 4 people. I don't see how this is a contest.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Icesickle wrote:Maybe my memory's fucked up, but Roger haven't you always jocked De La? Where's this post-partem (sp?) coming from? Wasn't it you that said the first AOI was a perfect album?
You're thinking of Cashmere the Pro,

I've always been a fan of pre-Stakes De La, The repugnant dickriding of Stakes on this forum has soured me to their recent output.

Also, the idea that De La is inherently and unquestionably superior to EPMD is deeply flawed, in my opinion.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

When you consider how long De La's lasted in the game and their consistency it's not even close.

The first AOI is actually a really good album. The last two, not so much, although they're still 3/5 albums.

And whatever you think of the album, "Stakes Is High" is one of the best tracks period. end of story.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Icesickle wrote:When you consider how long De La's lasted in the game and their consistency it's not even close.
Really not though.

For one, EPMD is still around, still touring, about to drop another album and they've stayed active with solo work even when they weren't working together. Now we're not taking solo work into account here, which is fine cuz De La has NONE, but it's not as though EPMD has completely fallen off the face of the earth.

Strictly Business >>> Three Feet High And Rising (By a lot)
Unfinished Business >> De La Soul Is Dead (IMO, this is a close one though)
Buhloone Mindstate >> Business As Usual
Business Never Personal > Stakes Is High
Back In Business > First AOI Joint
Out Of Business > Second AOI Joint
Grind Date > The nonexistant album that came after Unfinished Business

Even if you feel a couple of those albums should go the other way, it's not as though the margin between the two groups is that wide, they have basically the same amount of material, the same amount of classic material, etc.

So the point is most of this forum is acting like EPMD has no place in this poll and that's just absurd. Their catalog just as solid as De La's is, it's just that you guys prefer hippie-lefty-offkilter-funrap (not to say De La doesn't have a place in a poll like this, they certainly do, great group). And that's cool, but admit that, don't front like EPMD are pretenders to the thrown. Many people consider them the greatest hip hop group of all-time.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Icesickle wrote:When you consider how long De La's lasted in the game and their consistency it's not even close.

i love epmd as much as anyone but these rankings are ludicrous on so many levels and i have to believe beyond even the biggest epmd fans comprehension...just say you think de la are faggots and end it there because most of the above calls are laughable

B. Ware tha Siniq

clark bent wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

i love epmd as much as anyone but these rankings are ludicrous on so many levels and i have to believe beyond even the biggest epmd fans comprehension...just say you think de la are faggots and end it there because most of the above calls are laughable
What about them is ludicrous? I thought I was being pretty fair, please enlighten me. Maybe the first AOI should be > Back In Business... I dunno that's a close one. As I stated I could see people liking De La Is Dead over Unfinished Business (even though I think UB is the best EPMD album). Other than that I don't even think any of that is agruable, even by the biggest DE LA fanboy.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

these both are two of my favorite groups ever. I think that I am going to have to go with EPMD though.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Maybe the first AOI should be > Back In Business.

Hell no.

Back In Business is a great album.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Combo7 wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:Maybe the first AOI should be > Back In Business.

Hell no.

Back In Business is a great album.
:lol: I agree. I'm just trying to get a sense of why clark thinks it's a ludicrious breakdown. Maybe I should just accept the "because it's clark" answer though.

Sub-question: Is "Da Joint" better than any song De La Soul has made post-Buhloone Mindstate?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Eh, not better than "Stakes Is High," "The Breaks," or "Troubled Waters."

Is "Da Joint" your favorite song on that album? It's dope but I think I'd rank "Richter Scale," "K.I.M," and the song with Das EFX above it.

Damn I really want to listen to that album now.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Combo7 wrote:Eh, not better than "Stakes Is High," "The Breaks," or "Troubled Waters."

Is "Da Joint" your favorite song on that album? It's dope but I think I'd rank "Richter Scale," "K.I.M," and the song with Das EFX above it.

Damn I really want to listen to that album now.
Probably not my favorite song on the album, no. One of my favorite beats ever though, and possibly my all-time favorite track to listen to in the whip.