Questions #4

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Questions #4

Post by Philaflava »

1. The Beatnuts are better producers than The Neptunes?
2. Rank these emcees in order from best to worst---Killah Priest, Mr. Lif, Boots Riley, Talib Kweli & Blaq Poet.
3. You own over 500 CD's (not CD-Rs or CD singles) in your collection?
4. Who is your least favorite artist on Def Jux?
5. Ultramagnetic MC's have two classic albums in their catalog?
6. If vinyl was more accessible and cheaper, you'd buy it?
7. Ayatollah is a better producer than DJ Muggs?
8. Rank these tracks from best to worst--Can It Be All So Simple, Shame On A Nigga, Tearz & Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'.
9. Tony Touch made the best mixtapes?
10. Bun-B + Trae + Scarface + Z-Ro > Saigon, Royce 5'9, Tragedy Khadafi & Joe Budden
Last edited by Philaflava on Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

No

2. Rank these emcees in order from best to worst---Killah Priest, Mr. Lif, Boots Riley, Talib Kweli & Blaq Poet.

Mr. Lif>Boots>>>>>>Killah Priest>Blaq Poet (who i never heard)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talib

probably. although i only listen to about 5 of them.

me

no

no

no

8. Rank these tracks from best to worst--Can It Be All So Simple, Shame On A Nigga, Tearz & Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'.

shame>can it be>da mystery>Tearz

i was always partial to ron g and doowop

10. Bun-B + Trae + Scarface + Z-Ro > Saigon, Royce 5'9, Tragedy Khadafi & Joe Budden

Ive never heard trae or z-ro and i would still say yes.

Joe Pesci

Re: Questions #4

Post by Joe Pesci »

Yes and easily

Killah Priest, Talib Kweli, Mr. Lif, Blaq Poet...never really listened to The coup so I can't rank Boots

No

There's quite a few guys I can't stand but i'll have to go wit Cage (don't know if he's still on it)

Possibly, The 4 Horsemen is close for me

Probably

Nah

Can It all Be So Simple, Shame on a Nigga, Mystery of Chessboxin, Tearz

Maybe

Yes, Royce and Budden are overrated on the internet

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Incomparable styles. Neptunes are still hot, though (why oh why did Pharrell give that Zock On beat to Nigo's vanity group?), whereas Beatnuts have been done for at least 5 years now.
Poet is the only one i like but i've never really heard The Coup. Killah Priest is atrocious.
Sure.
Don't care.
Hell no. The Tuff City outtakes collection with the purple cover is better than Funk Your Head Up and The 4 Horsemen.
Nah, i'm glad vinyl is done since i've got way more than enough of the stuff as it is. I'll still buy older stuff i've still not got and the occasional new thing which comes out on wax (like that Smirnoff ep with Criminal Minded '08 on it) but i buy cd's these days.
Nope, although only 'cause of the first Cypress Hill as everything by Muggs since is dull.
Shame On A Nigga and Can It Be All So Simple are the only ones i still listen to.
Nah.
Yeah, Tragedy was the man in the day, though. Bizarre selection of rappers for the 2nd lot.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Philaflava wrote:1. The Beatnuts are better producers than The Neptunes? - lol

2. Rank these emcees in order from best to worst---Killah Priest, Mr. Lif, Boots Riley, Talib Kweli & Blaq Poet. - 1. poet 2. kweli 3. priest 4. boots 5. lif

3. You own over 500 CD's (not CD-Rs or CD singles) in your collection? - 1500ish

4. Who is your least favorite artist on Def Jux? - dont know whose on def jux besides company flow

5. Ultramagnetic MC's have two classic albums in their catalog? - none...critical beatdown is classic status but not clasic material

6. If vinyl was more accessible and cheaper, you'd buy it? - yes if dope 12 inches were still being released ala mid late 90's

7. Ayatollah is a better producer than DJ Muggs? - fuck no

8. Rank these tracks from best to worst--Can It Be All So Simple, Shame
On A Nigga, Tearz & Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'. - 1. shame 2. chessboxin 3. simple 4. tearz

9. Tony Touch made the best mixtapes? - sure

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

the way you word these makes my head explode so i fixed it for you
Philaflava wrote:1. Are The Beatnuts better producers than The Neptunes?
3. Do you own over 500 CD's (not CD-Rs or CD singles) in your collection?
5. Do Ultramagnetic MC's have two classic albums in their catalog?
6. If vinyl was more accessible and cheaper, would you buy it?
7. Is Ayatollah a better producer than DJ Muggs?
9. Did Tony Touch make the best mixtapes?
1. yes
2. blah
3. no
4. all of them
5. no
6. no
7. dontknow
8. shame->can it be->tears->chessboxin
9. who cares
10. yeah but thats not a question...what are you asking me?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Philaflava wrote:1. The Beatnuts are better producers than The Neptunes?

Umm... I don't really think you can compare the two. Completely different styles, genres (IMO), eras. Both great. I'd say I prefer the Beatnuts catalog, but then I love the Clipse albums and NERD's albums were both great. Beatnuts tho, fuccit.

1. Boots Riley
2. Blaq Poet
3. Killah Priest
4. Talib Kweli
5. Mr. Lif

LOL, yeah a whole lot more than that. I lost count somewhere in the 1,700-1,800 range. No idea how many I have anymore.

Umm... I don't even know who's on Def Jux anymore. El-P, Hangar 18, Aesop Rock, .... drawing a blank. I still check El-P and Hangar... that's about it though.

You can take away that question mark.

No.

At this point, probably... all-time, no not even close, Muggs >>>>.

That's so hard to do... umm..

Chessboxin'
Shame
Tearz
Can It Be

I dunno. He's up there... Maybe.

Scarface is better than all of the rappers on this list combined. The east coast group you posted are all good rappers, but none of them has made a great album except Trag (who has a couple, plus his involvement in the war report)... You throw Bun-B, Z-Ro, and Trae in there and it's just foolishness. Not even close.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:1. The Beatnuts are better producers than The Neptunes?yeah
2. Rank these emcees in order from best to worst---Killah Priest, Mr. Lif, Boots Riley, Talib Kweli & Blaq Poet.Killah Priest, Boots Riley, Talib Kweli, Mr. Lif, Blaq Poet
3. You own over 500 CD's (not CD-Rs or CD singles) in your collection?i think i do. haven't actually checked in a while
4. Who is your least favorite artist on Def Jux?that party committee album still haunts
5. Ultramagnetic MC's have two classic albums in their catalog?critical beatdown and four horsemen should both count
6. If vinyl was more accessible and cheaper, you'd buy it?yeah, but i still buy certain vuinyl records just because
7. Ayatollah is a better producer than DJ Muggs?its a close one but i have to say Muggs because of that project he did with Sick Jacken. and i've yet to hear how Ayatollah handels a whole emcee's album
8. Rank these tracks from best to worst--Can It Be All So Simple, Shame On A Nigga, Tearz & Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'.can it be it was all so simple, da mystery of chessboxin', shame on a nigga, tearz
9. Tony Touch made the best mixtapes?can't say; i've heard some from a long time ago that S&S did that i liked. and Flex had his shine, too.
10. Bun-B + Trae + Scarface + Z-Ro > Saigon, Royce 5'9, Tragedy Khadafi & Joe Budden]Bun-B's squad; even though they're evenly matched with others
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

SCARLENE wrote:the way you word these makes my head explode so i fixed it for you
everyone gets it. it ain't that major sweet heart. wanna fix that too and put it into proper english?

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Does the Pope shit in the woods?

Boots, Killah Priest, Blaq Poet, Talib Kweli

Rap? Not quite. All genres? Most definitely.

I don't even know who is on Def Jux anymore besides El-P. At least, I think he's still on Def Jux...:killacam:

Debut is an all-time classic. Four Horsemen has a few classic tracks, but too much filler and wack Ced Gee verses to be a classic album. It's just a really dope album.

Nah. Used to have a decent collection, but sold most of it. Vinyl is a pain in the ass.

Uhhh...this isn't a serious question, right?

Can It all Be So Simple, Tearz, Mystery of Chessboxin, Shame on a Nigga

I don't know. He probably feels kinda like that LSD inventor who recently died. He's proud of his body of work, but probably horrified at the resulting devastation it's caused.

This inequality don't make no sense, Mr. G.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

Philaflava wrote:
SCARLENE wrote:the way you word these makes my head explode so i fixed it for you
everyone gets it. it ain't that major sweet heart. wanna fix that too and put it into proper english?
it might not be a big deal but its extremely annoying. You should just change these to agree/disagree and it would make a little more sense.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

SCARLENE wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
it might not be a big deal but its extremely annoying. You should just change these to agree/disagree and it would make a little more sense.
But I'm also allowing people to explain. It isn't just black and white. I know what you're saying but in this content I feel it's acceptable.

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

By a loooooooooooooooooong mile...The Beatnuts are better producers than alot of cats out there
Boots Riley...Poet....Killah Priest...Talib....Lif
Heck ya...and my vinyl collection is getting up there too
I dont even know who's signed to Def Jux right now besides El-P and Aesop Rock
Critical Beatdown and Funk Your Head Up
Shit, I buy it now when its more rare and expensive
Nah
Shame On A Nigga...Da Mystery of Chessboxin...Tearz...Can It Be All So Simple

I think I'd put Reunited over all these tracks though
I know someone who would be more adept at answering this question...I am not THAT familiar with mixtapes but I would have to answer this with a resounding NO...I've heard some by G-Bo The Pro that are ridiculous
im not that familiar with alot of these MCs but Tragedy is the man

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

1. For Pop songs, the Neptunes are clearly the obvious choice. Besides that, I personally dig the Beatnuts a lot more.
2. Talib Kweli, Killa Priest, Blaq Poet, and I've never heard of the other MC's, so they are unranked.
3. I own 90 CD's. So, no.
4. MURS. Didn't he change labels though?
5. Never really got into Ultramag.
6. I can't play it at my home, I only own one copy of Nas' Illmatic on vinyl, but that's just decoration on my wall :lol:
7. False.
8. Can It All Be So Simple, Da Mystery of Chessboxin', Shame on a Nigga, Tearz
9. No.
10. Scarface > All of them. However, I personally dig Saigon, Joe
Budden and Term more then the rest of the south boyz, and Royce is on-par, with IMO more potential.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Yes...

The only artist I really care for here is Poet...

No... I own a few hundred CDs... However, I have approx' 4000 records...

I have never been able to get open to Aesop Rock or Cannibal Ox... I remember copping both 'The Cold Vein' LP and 'Labor Days' LP on the same day due to the incredible hype both were getting and recommendations from heads...

I really didn't enjoy either, so promptly sold them on...

No... But the debut is one of the greatest all time Hip Hop albums...

I still do buy vinyl... Just a shame that fewer and fewer artists are releasing wax - was dissapointed to not find Joell Ortiz or UGK's albums from last year on vinyl...

Nope...

'Shame On A Nuh', 'Can It Be All So Simple', 'Tearz', 'Mystery Of Chessboxin''...

No, but he's up there...

Probably... The only artist I care for in the second group is Tragedy...

spitboxer

Post by spitboxer »

I personally prefer Beatnuts but obviously not right now
KP, Kweli, Blaq Po, Lif, Boots (never really bothered with The Coup)
Easy
Like most heads on here, i got no clue whos on Def Jux nowadays
Nah
Probably not
No, Ayatollah still dope tho
Chessboxin, Shame On A Nigga, Tearz, Simple
In the late 90's yes
Nah, alltho Scarface is probably the best rapper on the list.

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

Yes

Killah Priest
Mr Lif
Boots Riley
Blaq Poet
Talib Kweli

Yes

Cage

No

Hell Yeah.

No

Shame on A Nigga
Can It Be All So Simple
Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

Yeap.

Blasphemy.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Nah.
Philaflava wrote:2. Rank these emcees in order from best to worst---Killah Priest, Mr. Lif, Boots Riley, Talib Kweli & Blaq Poet.
Poet
Boots

Killah Priest

Mr. Lif and Kweli
Philaflava wrote:3. You own over 500 CD's (not CD-Rs or CD singles) in your collection?
Sure. They have very little value to me anymore though. CD-Rs Fo Life.
Philaflava wrote:4. Who is your least favorite artist on Def Jux?
The one with the irony.
Philaflava wrote:5. Ultramagnetic MC's have two classic albums in their catalog?
You Bet.
Philaflava wrote:6. If vinyl was more accessible and cheaper, you'd buy it?
Not a chance.
Philaflava wrote:7. Ayatollah is a better producer than DJ Muggs?
Dont care. At all.
Philaflava wrote:8. Rank these tracks from best to worst--Can It Be All So Simple, Shame On A Nigga, Tearz & Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'.
Tearz
Da Mystery
So Simple
Shame
Philaflava wrote:9. Tony Touch made the best mixtapes?
Nope.
Philaflava wrote:10. Bun-B + Trae + Scarface + Z-Ro > Saigon, Royce 5'9, Tragedy Khadafi & Joe Budden
I think Trag is better than Bun, Z-Ro or Trae, but either of those guys slaughter Saigon, Royce or Budden. There is more entertainment and lyrical dexterity in any early SLAB mixtape than anything those fellas have ever done.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Yep

Mr. Lif,Blaq Poet,Boots Riley,Killah Priest,Talib Kweli

Yep

Del, I don't think he should be on Def Jux and I didn't like the 11th Hour

I'd almost say three.

Probably

No

Can It Be All So Simple, Shame On A Nigga,Da Mystery Of Chessboxin',Tearz

He definitely made some great ones

I don't know

The Wrist

Post by The Wrist »

obviously

hmmmm......i'm gonna say...lif, priest, poet, kweli, boots...but that could change depending on my mood i guess....i like all of em one way or another

i'm honestly not sure....its probably somewhere in that range though...its been a long time since i really tally'd em

does pfac count?

i'm really not qualified to say that or not

i've never thought it was too expensive to BUY.....its a storage issue as much as anything at this point....maybe if i had less of it i'd buy more

i don't think so...but i wouldn't be mad if ya said that

chessboxin, shame on, tearz, can it be

probably not...but his were fab

uhh...no

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
talib, poet, killa, boots, lif
no
who isn't?
nope
that's not the reason i don't buy vinyls
no
Shame ona nigga is the best, the rest is equal
dont know
khadafi wins

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

No
Killah Priest
Talib Kweli
Boots Riley
Mr. Lif
Blaq Poet
Yes
Probably Yakballz
Yes
unless it is a cd only release, I buy the vinyl version of everything.
no
Da Mystery of Chessboxin
Shame on a Nigga
Can it be all so simple
tearz
they were pretty damn good. Ron G made some banging tapes too.
Saigon, Royce 5'9, Tragedy Khadafi & Joe Budden

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

1. Beatnuts have a stronger catalog that isn't limited to simply radio singles. neptunes have some of my favorite beats ever. Advantage - beatnuts.
2. Kweli, Boots, Blaq, Priest, Lif.
3. Yes I do.
4. all of them, hah. Really though, Camu Tao. god awful.
5. And one of them I admit I haven't heard, yes. But Critical Beatdown is essential, period.
6. The kind of vinyl I'd want to buy is already cheaper since i'm lookng in used bins, but obviously yes to this question.
7. Indifferent. but i'd say no.

10. no. equal. both offer two different aesthetics.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

No, although I do prefer the Nuts. :pause:

Priest, Boots, Poet, Kweli, Lif

Close to 1,500 (all hip hop)

Party Fun Action Committee

No

Hell no

Hmmm... probably

Chessboxin, Shame, Tearz, Can It Be

I make the best mixtapes.

Nah
Last edited by Combo7 on Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AthenA

Post by AthenA »

False.

Boots Riley
Killah Priest
Talib Kweli
Mr. Lif
Blaq Poet

I think between 200-300.

Don't know who all is on Def Jux.

Critical Beatdown and Four Horsemen.

I do.

True.

Call It Be All So Simple
Da Mystery Of Chessboxin
Shame On A Nigga
Tearz

True.

"You want it your way, but it's the other way"

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

1. no question.
2. Boots. Killah Priest. Mr. Lif. Blaq Poet. Talib Kweli.
3. well, well over. thinking of selling them all.
4. don't really check for Def Jux outside of (no longer on) C-Rayz Walz and Lif...
5. One.
6. still do buy occasionally.
7. tough call.... im gonna go with yes.
8. Tearz, Shame, Can it be, Da Mystery
9. no.
10. absolutely.

Bones

Post by Bones »

1. nope
2. Talib, Blackq, Mr Lif, Killah, Boots
3. hell no
4. probably that dude from canada
5. definently one,
6. i buy vinyl over cds
7. no
8. da mystery, can it be, shame and tearz
9. made good mixtapes
10. south wins

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

yes

Blaq Poet
Boots
Lif
Kweli
Killa Priest

yes

name one good one

no, I was never a fan of critical beatdown, the four horsemen lp is classic though

I do buy vinyl

yes

can it be all so simple
chessboxin
tearz
shame on a nigga

yes, tony touch 50 set the marker. him and doo wop

100% false

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Yep

Mr. Lif, Talib, Boots, Killa, Blaq

Nope

Any

Nope

Nope

Nope

Chessboxin' > CIBASS > Tears > Shame

No. Double R did with Ron G a close second.

On the strength of Bun and Face yep.

jaao

Post by jaao »

Depends on whether or not samples play big for you. I like the beatnuts more.

boots, priest, lif... don't know blaq poet, but he's better than kweli, i bet.

[edit: alaska beat me to it, nice work sir.]

for sure, but what's been stolen from me could trump what i have.

slow suicide stimulus. --------despot is poised to be my new fave.

sure.

i think vinyl's accessible, not cheap, but it's as easy to get at any show as a tee-shirt is, right? i haven't bought vinyl in years though... so i guess its a no.

no way man

tearz, can it be, chessboxin, shame

...i never really heard anyone else's mixtapes... [edit: ...at that time]

haven't heard much trae, zro, or saigon. can't speak on it.

this shit's fun... do more.
Last edited by jaao on Fri May 16, 2008 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.