Pete Rock: ג€œDonג€™t Ask Me About CL Smooth No More!!!" [v

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Ming-Tzu

Pete Rock: ג€œDonג€™t Ask Me About CL Smooth No More!!!" [v

Post by Ming-Tzu »

Recorded in February 2008...kinda surprised me cause I didnt even know they had beef like that...its arguable that CL Smooth is putting out better music than Pete Rock nowadays though

http://grandgood.com/2008/05/10/pete-ro ... ive-video/

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpIXUREzAus

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

...and then proceeds to recite his rhymes.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

plug4

Post by plug4 »

Was CL's American Me album and The Outsider mixtape any good and was it better than Pete Rock's NY's Finest album?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Pete Rock comes off like an insufferable douchebag in every interview.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Paragraph President wrote:Pete Rock comes off like an insufferable douchebag in every interview.
I agree. He thinks he is the greatest thing to ever happen to hip-hop (see the comment about TROY being the greatest song ever). Kinda the reason I pushed him out of my top 5 producers.

He'll never have another great LP with or without CL.

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

Philaflava wrote:
Paragraph President wrote:Pete Rock comes off like an insufferable douchebag in every interview.
I agree. He thinks he is the greatest thing to ever happen to hip-hop. Kinda the reason I pushed him out of my top 5 producers.
yea, mr. rock gave me the cold shoulder/dissed me pretty hard one time... funny story..

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:omar: do tell

Thun

Post by Thun »

chump change wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
I agree. He thinks he is the greatest thing to ever happen to hip-hop. Kinda the reason I pushed him out of my top 5 producers.
yea, mr. rock gave me the cold shoulder/dissed me pretty hard one time... funny story..
Tell the story.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Philaflava wrote:
I agree. He thinks he is the greatest thing to ever happen to hip-hop (see the comment about TROY being the greatest song ever). Kinda the reason I pushed him out of my top 5 producers.

Basically. NY's Finest was pretty good though. And yeah, he's conceited as all fuck in his interviews.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

Did anyone happen to read an interview he did with Wax Poetics a year or two ago?...one of the things I remember was him saying how Puff jacked his beat for Juicy...and that Puff felt bad or something so he threw PR a bone by letting him do a remix on the b-side...if you listen to the remix, its basically the same beat with harder drums...wonder if this story is true or not

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Paragraph President wrote:
chump change wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Tell the story.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Ming-Tzu wrote:Did anyone happen to read an interview he did with Wax Poetics a year or two ago?...one of the things I remember was him saying how Puff jacked his beat for Juicy...and that Puff felt bad or something so he threw PR a bone by letting him do a remix on the b-side...if you listen to the remix, its basically the same beat with harder drums...wonder if this story is true or not
Well, I'm assuming the "remix" is the beat Pete Rock was working on, tweaked ... I'm guessing that Puffy heard him making the beat, thought it was a great idea, then went and found the record himself... Pete Rock has told numerous similar stories where he claims that someone stole his beat...

Snail

Post by Snail »

Pete is in my top 3 producers. He produced a lot of my favorite tracks. From Rather Unique to Gz Up.

I thought he created a classic remix on that 9th Wonder/Pete Rock mixtape by using that Maxwell sample on Whatever You Say, but in a webchat a few weeks ago, he said 9th did that beat.

:killacam:

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

I think the Wax Poetics interview went like this...he was making a beat for something and had all the samples lined up on his computer and whatnot...Puff and/or Big came over unexpectedly to chill or whatever...Puff glanced at the layout of the beat and didnt make no mention of it...Puff then jacks the beat, uses it for Juicy and a star is born...Pete Rock does the remix with what sounds like the same exact beat except with harder drums

Who knows if its true or not

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

Galvatron78 wrote:
chump change wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Tell the story.
obviously i asked him about cl smooth.. :megaman:

for realz i'm not big on spreading shit like that... sorry, yes i know how gay this makes me, but lets not forget the del/friedjello controversy..

so a :pagefullofarrows: and whateva else you can muster

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

chump change wrote:
Galvatron78 wrote:
chump change wrote:
Philaflava wrote: I agree. He thinks he is the greatest thing to ever happen to hip-hop. Kinda the reason I pushed him out of my top 5 producers.
Tell the story.

for realz i'm not big on spreading shit like that... sorry, yes i know how gay this makes me, but lets not forget the del/friedjello controversy..
Now you HAVE to share it. LOL.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

chump change wrote:
Galvatron78 wrote:
chump change wrote:
Philaflava wrote: I agree. He thinks he is the greatest thing to ever happen to hip-hop. Kinda the reason I pushed him out of my top 5 producers.
Tell the story.

You post stories about finding dead, decaying Mexican border-jumpers in the tall grass of your backwoods Tejas town, but you won't share a story about an off-putting encounter with a hip hop producer who probably has never heard of Philaflava?

:naswtf:

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Pete Rock is great, but he should not be holding a mic on a stage.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Money Gripp wrote:
chump change wrote:
Galvatron78 wrote:
chump change wrote: yea, mr. rock gave me the cold shoulder/dissed me pretty hard one time... funny story..
Tell the story.

You post stories about finding dead, decaying Mexican border-jumpers in the tall grass of your backwoods Tejas town, but you won't share a story about an off-putting encounter with a hip hop producer who probably has never heard of Philaflava?

Unless he posts the story I have to assume that he made a pass at the Chocolate Boy Wonder and was rejected.

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

:larry:

a guy i do alot of business with is good friends with him...

the story is me getting snubbed after asking for a shout out for another well known dj..

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

chump change wrote::larry:

the story is me getting snubbed after asking for a shout out for another well known dj..
This makes no sense, wouldn't the well known dj have a better chance of getting something from Pete Rock than you?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Pete Rock is overrated as fuck IMO anyways.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Don't understand the relevance in this post, but post the story. Pete won't know find out and who cares if he does?

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

drizzle wrote:

This makes no sense, wouldn't the well known dj have a better chance of getting something from Pete Rock than you?
actually no... not in this case...

show @ the parish i was on the phone with the other dj, he asked where i was at i told him so it was a spur of the moment thing...
he asked me to see if i could get some shoutouts..
i am good friends with the promoter who was throwing the event which also featured prince paul (who obliged the dj's request) pete didn't feel like doing it and imo was an ass about it..
Last edited by chump change on Mon May 12, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Money Gripp wrote:
chump change wrote:
Galvatron78 wrote:
Paragraph President wrote: Tell the story.

Unless he posts the story I have to assume that he made a pass at the Chocolate Boy Wonder and was rejected.
:copy:
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

Philaflava wrote:

he was also in my top list for a longlong time, but his insufferable douchebaggery makes him SO off-putting.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Ming-Tzu wrote:Did anyone happen to read an interview he did with Wax Poetics a year or two ago?...one of the things I remember was him saying how Puff jacked his beat for Juicy...and that Puff felt bad or something so he threw PR a bone by letting him do a remix on the b-side...if you listen to the remix, its basically the same beat with harder drums...wonder if this story is true or not
It was from issue 7, which came out at the end of 2004...

This is what it says:

'Puffy did the same thing to me with "Juicy." I did the original version, didn't get credit for it. They came to my house, heard the beat going on the drum machine, it's the same story. You come downstairs at my crib, you hear music. He heard that shit and the next thing you know it comes out. They had me do a remix, but I tell people, and I will fight it to the end, that I did the original version of that. I'm not mad at anybody, I just want the correct credit. Fuck that. Y'all can't just be robbing mu'fuckas. If you didn't do the work, Ima expose you. When you have an idea and somebody just takes it, that's kind of wack. You must not do much clever thinking. I mean, there ain't much to it, just make the fuckin' track. A lot of people have gotten ideas from me, a lot of people have learned from me. And that's all well and good, I love the fact that I can teach somebody. But there's a lot of manipulators out there, they don't do the hard work, and think they can just take somebody's idea.'
Last edited by Mark 563 on Mon May 12, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Prolly why Puffy and BIG never used Pete Rock since then.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

never heard the pete rock remix, can anyone up it?