Does Big Daddy Kane suck live?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Ming-Tzu

Does Big Daddy Kane suck live?

Post by Ming-Tzu »

I've never seen him live but I always heard he was a dope performer...he did a show tonight in Brooklyn and some dudes said his set was MAD short...is he like that all the time?....or was tonight just a fluke?

http://grandgood.com/2008/06/15/the-bea ... pointment/

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

if that vh1 thing was any indication.. he is an incredible live performer

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

senior citizens have limited energy

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

Yeah that was a dope performance on vh1...thats why i was so surprised he did so little material...they did say he was tired and just got off a plane so i guess thats why he just bounced after a short set....still weak though

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

check out the mic drop clip on youtube

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

I've seen Kane perform live twice over the last ten years and both times he was incredible...

He's got crazy charisma and his breath control is as good live as it is on record...

He's one of the better acts I've seen live...

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Top 5 performers in the history of rap (at least that I've seen). And I saw him last year and his set wasn't short at all, but I have heard that complaint from others before. He's incredible live.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

mic drop clip is still :ohsh: in its execution.

IDE (Creative Juices)

Post by IDE (Creative Juices) »

he tore down rock steady last year... every time i see him he has crazy energy.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

double ds
Last edited by Dusty Fingers on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

some heads going to come in now ... "nah that wasnt good... what a wack voice!! i just dont like it!!..." :larry: :larry: :larry:

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

At the Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival two years ago he did a 45 min set with pretty much all of the classic and some great interludes and live "skit" routines. Whoever said he isn't good live probably caught him off, which happens to every performer. He's good money live.
HIRED GUN-Straight Organics
http://www.freshrootsmusic.com

bradlizuck

Post by bradlizuck »

saw him at rocksteady a few years back. his set was short but it was fuckin dope as shit. although everybodys set is pretty short.

i dont know bdk takes these kids to school when it comes to rockin a show. dudes a pro...

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Dusty Fingers wrote:you tell me

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJAr3snB38A
never gets old :bow:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

had to be an off night, i've seen him a few times and he killed it consistently

i've noticed as a general rule that the older rappers put on better shows, probably because they've been doing it for so long
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

saw him at scribble a few years back and it was probably the best rap show ive ever scene.

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

drizzle wrote:i've noticed as a general rule that the older rappers put on better shows, probably because they've been doing it for so long
I guess that's true...if it wasnt for nostalgia, most acts suck live...not many true entertaining hip-hop acts out there...KRS, Greg Nice, etc....acts that dont just go through their catalogue, talk a little and then bounce...I mean, if youve never seen an artist live, then thats fine but seeing the same performance several times in one year gets old

B. Ware tha Siniq

Ming-Tzu wrote:
drizzle wrote:i've noticed as a general rule that the older rappers put on better shows, probably because they've been doing it for so long
I guess that's true...if it wasnt for nostalgia, most acts suck live...not many true entertaining hip-hop acts out there...KRS, Greg Nice, etc....acts that dont just go through their catalogue, talk a little and then bounce...I mean, if youve never seen an artist live, then thats fine but seeing the same performance several times in one year gets old
A) Why would you want to see any act perform multiple times in the same year? Just seems like a waste of money.

B) :larry: to everything else.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah i didn't really catch all that either

all i know is that i consistently have a better time at shows where i see a rap dinosaur do songs i've heard literally a 1000 times than at a show where a bunch of younger dudes struggle to perform 10 bars of their "EXCLUSIVE NEW SHIT!!!!!!!" without fucking it up

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I caught him a couple years back here in DC and he tore shit down.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

he is amazing
the fuck is wrong with u son

OkWeRdZ

Post by OkWeRdZ »

seen em live twice in the same summer in 06, definitley one of the top 5 best preformers ive seen.

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
A) Why would you want to see any act perform multiple times in the same year? Just seems like a waste of money.

A) Cause I love going to shows and seeing these artists perform...I catch KRS as much as I can in NYC...in 2006, I saw him twice in one week and it was amazing...so the question is why woudnt someone watch the same artist perform in one year, especially if this person enjoys the music?....before we know it, these cats will be 50 and 60 and wont be rockin shows...so I might as well watch as many as I can

B) I'm just saying if it wasnt for our love for Rakim's catalogue and the countless times we have listened to it throughout the years, we would be kinda bored at his shows....he's not really that entertaining live...but the fact that I love Paid In Full and all his other albums makes people think his stage show is spectacular....thats what im saying bout nostalgia.....I guess only people who's seen an artist perform more than once in their life can attest to that...and thats not a diss to you or anyone...im just saying...if you watch Brand Nubian or Slick Rick perform more than once, youll realize its the same set or routine and there is no entertainment value other than the fact that its Puba doing Step To The Rear or Jamar and Sadat performing Punks Jump Up...

B. Ware tha Siniq

Ming-Tzu wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

A) Cause I love going to shows and seeing these artists perform...I catch KRS as much as I can in NYC...in 2006, I saw him twice in one week and it was amazing...so the question is why woudnt someone watch the same artist perform in one year, especially if this person enjoys the music?....before we know it, these cats will be 50 and 60 and wont be rockin shows...so I might as well watch as many as I can

B) I'm just saying if it wasnt for our love for Rakim's catalogue and the countless times we have listened to it throughout the years, we would be kinda bored at his shows....he's not really that entertaining live...but the fact that I love Paid In Full and all his other albums makes people think his stage show is spectacular....thats what im saying bout nostalgia.....I guess only people who's seen an artist perform more than once in their life can attest to that...and thats not a diss to you or anyone...im just saying...if you watch Brand Nubian or Slick Rick perform more than once, youll realize its the same set or routine and there is no entertainment value other than the fact that its Puba doing Step To The Rear or Jamar and Sadat performing Punks Jump Up...
I get what you're saying now. I just didn't think you explained it very well before. But personally I try to avoid seeing artists in the same year, unless I know it's an artist that really switches up their set consistently. But there are plenty of rap acts that put on a hell of a live show. And I don't think anybody thinks Rakim is a stellar performer, it's just that he has an enjoyable set, and like you say everybody knows all the words.

Slick Rick is dope, but yeah he does the same set over and over...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

actually, as far as Rakim specifically, i've seen him a few times and the last time was with a full funk band which gave his show a whole new sound, so it really all depends on what you catch on a particular night

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

I saw Slick Rick perform four times last year...he did the same set over and over....each time, I hoped he would change the set at least a little...but it was the same, even down the skits in between tracks!!

Who would you consider truly entertaining performers?...for me, off the top of my head, the list would include KRS, Greg Nice and Cormega...cant think of any others right now...I've never seen BDK before but going to this summer

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

thekeentwo wrote:he is amazing
the fuck is wrong with u son
i almost passed out when i saw bdk.
he has teh good
so do onyx
so does rakim

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Going to see the same tour 4 times and expecting a different show every time is kind of self-defeating. You know they have a set list, and rap doesn't really lend itself to live variation. If you're gonna do something like that you have to be fully prepared to see the same shit over and over again. These guys are old men now, they know what works from experience and they stick to it. Like you youself said above, the appeal is in the act of seeing one of your favorite artists do your favorite songs. Expecting anything more from it is kind of unrealistic

As far truly entertaining performers, the best show I've seen by far in the last few years was Devin. The dude is absolutely masterful on stage, charismatic as hell, and when he has people with him on stage they have a dynamic that enhances the show instead of taking away from it.

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

drizzle wrote:Going to see the same tour 4 times and expecting a different show every time is kind of self-defeating. You know they have a set list, and rap doesn't really lend itself to live variation...the appeal is in the act of seeing one of your favorite artists do your favorite songs.
I agree for the most part but some artists' live shows vary from show to show....I know I mentioned his name a few times already bu KRS may perform the same songs every show but its his freestyles and banter and charisma and just random things that really sets him apart from the rest