The Nas Thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

leaked album is hot. is that really the minority opinion? goddamn.

I'm probably also one of the few anywhere that thinks Stillmatic is wild overhyped. maybe I got to listen to this Untitled shit again, but I think it's the best shit he's done since IWW.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

great album!

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

OK, so I tried to listen to it again. Couldn't even get through it. Again, awful, don't know why people would subject themselves to this on multiple listens, there's too much better stuff to listen to right now. Beats are just terrible.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

TI's new album is gonna be >>> everything mentioned in this thread.

"Louis Rag," "No Matter What," and "Better Day" are all great, great tracks. Dude's not gonna have to worry about getting good production either: Swizz Beats, Pollow da Don, and DJ Toomp are all blessing him.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

This isn't nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^^ co-signed.

and: does anyone care that Nas dissed 50 Cent pretty decently on 'Queens Get The Money'?
Ayo Queens get the money
nigga still screamin "Paper Chasin'"
[...]
niggas is still hatin
talkin that nas done fell off with rhyming
he'd rather floss with diamonds
they pray "please god let him spit that 'oozie in the army lining'
that 'shorty doo-wop rolling oowops in the park reclining' "
take twenty-seven mc's put em in a line and they out of alignment
my assignment said she said retirement hiding behind 8 Mile and The Chronic
get rich but dies rhyming
this is high science
now add 23 more from queens to b'more
i'm over they heads like a bulimic on a seesaw
now thats 50 porch monkeys ate up at the same time
:copy: :killacam: :naswtf: :ironmike: :owens: :copy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

antwonskee

Post by antwonskee »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:^^^ co-signed.

and: does anyone care that Nas dissed 50 Cent pretty decently on 'Queens Get The Money'?
Ayo Queens get the money
[...]
niggas is still hatin
this is high science
I don't think anyone takes 50 cent seriously anymore. :omggay: I can cross that emoticon off the list.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

This is one of the worst albums of all-time.

Req

Post by Req »

varick pyr wrote:leaked album is hot. is that really the minority opinion? goddamn.
Only on this board it would appear :lurkers:
F.U. MOOLAH

thebigk

Post by thebigk »

Since this is a Nas thread.. anyone got unreleased joints compilations or something from him? :bow:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Complete fucking trash from beginning to end. Big surprise there!

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

antwonskee wrote:

Ayo Queens get the money
[...]
niggas is still hatin
this is high science
I don't think anyone takes 50 cent seriously anymore. :omggay: I can cross that emoticon off the list.
word.
if everyone in hip hop just ignored 50... then Nas just :copy: 'ed him with 'Ether 2', hip hop would start bleeding rainbows out of its bulletwounds and platinum-plated diamonds would start growing out of ghetto concrete.

G-Unit is over, who's next? :killacam:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Nas - Hero - [Video]

Post by Conscious »

http://freehiphopnow.blogspot.com/2008/ ... video.html

This Hero Song is Kanye-ish. Second verse... Not the video...

Nas sounds like he's slightly chasing the beat. Not outtah breath but not seamlessly delivering...
http://bondfireradio.com #thefutureofradio

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
antwonskee wrote:

Ayo Queens get the money
[...]
niggas is still hatin
this is high science
word.
if everyone in hip hop just ignored 50... then Nas just :copy: 'ed him with 'Ether 2', hip hop would start bleeding rainbows out of its bulletwounds and platinum-plated diamonds would start growing out of ghetto concrete.

I got the diss but it was irrelevant at this point. Both :naswtf: & :omggay: are and really he didn't got that hard at him either.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
antwonskee wrote:

Ayo Queens get the money
[...]
niggas is still hatin
this is high science
word.

I got the diss but it was irrelevant at this point. Both :naswtf: & :omggay: are and really he didn't got that hard at him either.
I wouldn't call Nas "irrelevant", just "removed from the center of the action", aka "not where Lil Wayne is in rap".
50 Cent? IRRELEVANT RAP MUSIC MAKER. :rofl:

and though the dis isn't that :copy:, you know 50 Cent is fucking :jiz: over it... even though it's not simplistic enough to mount a retaliation that the G-Unit Stan goonsquad can wave a flag for

I love how Nas gives 50 the dis he wants, but makes it so extended and lyrical that only the wise ones can appreciate it... the new school fools probably have no idea about the Rakim reference Nas's 50 Cent dis is based on, :grin:

yo, how come nobody thinks this about the album?
The N****r movement has been a lonely crusade for Nasir Jones. As a younger artist, he was regularly blasted for allegedly selling out his musical integrity. Years later, a mature Nas now sees his attempts to bring relevant social issues to Hip-Hop cynically dismissed as a pseudo gimmick to gain exposure. But after all the comments and discussion, the final word will always be the quality of the music. And with the recently censored album name now christened Untitled (Def Jam), Nas seeks to validate himself after months of intense pressure from fans and media alike.

The album begins with the haunting sparse piano chords of ג€œQueens Get the Money.ג€ The lack of drums makes the track initially sound abrasive; as Nas weaves his rhymes on and off beat. But it is the dissonance of Jay Electronicaג€™s production that accentuates Nasג€™ lyrics midway. The Queensbridge poet paraphrases elements from Rakimג€™s classic fourth verse on ג€œMy Melodyג€ to take some piercing jabs at former apprentice 50 Cent.

Regular collaborator Salaam Remi delivers a bass heavy, jazz infused rendition of ג€œCanג€™t Stop Us Now.ג€ The now popular sample has seen recent renditions from MF Doom, Mos Def, and the RZA. However, Remi makes the piece unique by incorporating jazz trumpet chords, the soulful crooning of Eban Thomas of The Stylistics, and the authoritative spoken word of the Last Poets. Nasג€™ rhymes remain on point as he takes aim at our accepted beliefs on early American patriotism (ג€œBesty Ross sowed the first American flag / Bet she had a n****r with her to help her old assג€).

Recent criticism against Nasג€™ albums has been his use of somber, demure production, which the Queens MC has made strides in addressing. On the graceful ג€œBreathe,ג€ the melodic rhythms blend effortlessly with his urges for us to ג€œexhaleג€ on the stresses of American life. The celebratory ג€œMake The World Go Round,ג€ by far the most commercial and radio aimed track, works mainly due to the lyrical chemistry between The Game and Nas.

However, the slick production starts to wane thin by the Stargate produced ג€œAmerica.ג€ The continued bombardment of synth originated cadences (especially after the sonorous but enjoyable lead single ג€œHeroג€) starts to pull the listener out of the album. Still, Nasג€™ verses remain potent, especially a standout third verse criticizing the sexism and imperialism of Western society.

The LP gets back on track with the rock-tinged ג€œSly Fox.ג€ Over PE reminiscent guitar riffs, Nas cleverly assaults the moral authority of Fox News on the basis of their manipulation of news and business dealings with Youtube and Myspace (ג€œOnly Fox that I love was the Redd one / Only black man the at Fox love is in jail or a dead oneג€). With ג€œTestify,ג€ Nas creatively crafts the song in the conversation flow of ג€œBook Of Rhymes,ג€ while questioning whether his fans are ready for social action beyond the music.

First seen on the now classic ג€œI Gave You Power,ג€ Nasג€™ expertise at personification is once again on display with ג€œProject Roachג€ and ג€œFried Chicken.ג€ On the former, the Last Poets appear again to ridicule the NAACPג€™s ג€œfuneralג€ for the word n****r, while Nas personifies the insect as a metaphor for the derogatory term. With the latter track, Busta Rhymes joins in as both MCג€™s skewer the stereotype of Black eating habits over Mark Ronsonג€™s southern blues styled production.

The criticism is not just directed outward, as Nas questions his own materialism on the reflective and communal ג€œYג€™all My N****s.ג€ He continues that trend on the ethereal, ג€œWeג€™re Not Alone,ג€ where Nas expresses regret at previously glorifying killers like Pappy Mason over figures such as historian Ivan Van Sertima.

On Hip Hop Is Dead, Nas made the mistake of presenting that topic as a loose theme over the album and expecting listeners to pick up subliminal messages. With Untitled, heג€™s able to not only cohesively explain his stance on the word n****r, but detail its use throughout history on social, political, and judicial levels. And despite the dense subject matter, Nasג€™ varied lyrical presentations keep the opus from ever becoming preachy or condescending.

Notwithstanding minor missteps in sequencing and production, Untitled has delivered on its potential as a cogent, intellectually honest piece of art. And like its predecessor The N****r Tape, Nasir Jones has crafted not only a career highlight in his catalogue, but the most thought-provoking and challenging mainstream Hip-Hop album in a long time.

pestilence

Post by pestilence »

thebigk wrote:Since this is a Nas thread.. anyone got unreleased joints compilations or something from him? :bow:
like what?

anyways. i'm sick of this shit. not really only just nas. none of these new albums have any replay value in general.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Was checking out the thread while dl'in, given the responses it got here I expected to really like it. And I sort of do.

Yes, some of the beats are paper-thin. It's still not his worst produced album, I don't think it has as many cringe-moments as HHID, SD, I Am or Nastradamous. Not a single beat I'd say is flat-out wack.

The lyrics are great in some spots. He still paints imagery and piece words together better than almost anyone.

The only thing I don't like is how every fucking song is negro-conscious. The concept gets so stale towards the end I feel like screaming NIGGGGGER! just to offend a random black guy on the bus.

"It's not for you, you don't understand the black mans bla bla bla bla" some might say, and this is true. Yet I hardly believe Nas sits at home all day pondering his blackness, and if he does he has too much time on his hands. Hes forcing the black-leader role down people's throat without anyone really proclaiming him spokesperson for anything at all.

Then you got songs about roaches and chicken... I don't really get down with that and can't see myself playing it more than a few times.

Game sounds kinda off-beat and tries to imitate Nas' flow, what a cunt-croc.

In conclusion, this is what I expected. 2.5-3/5. If anyone expects more from your favorite 40year old rapper I suggest you start getting into a new genre.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

thebigk

Post by thebigk »

pestilence wrote:
thebigk wrote:Since this is a Nas thread.. anyone got unreleased joints compilations or something from him? :bow:
like what?

anyways. i'm sick of this shit. not really only just nas. none of these new albums have any replay value in general.
you know, just rare shit by him? b-sides.. non-album tracks?

True King

Post by True King »

what the fuck

I can't believe the hate this is getting here. I can see the beef w/ the production on here, but this is the best rapping I've heard in a loooooooong time.

mud

Post by mud »

Code: Select all

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=26ROXJ6N 
Disc 1

01. Nas - Formal Introduction (2:51)
02. Nas - Deja Vu (No DJ) (3:53)
03. Nas - On The Real (3:26)
04. Nas - Street Dreams (Remix) (4:46)
05. Nas - The Second Coming (3:34)
06. Nas - My Worst Enemy (4:06)
07. Nas - The Rise And Fall (3:57)
08. Nas - Tales From The Hood (4:00)
09. Nas - Escobar 97 (3:31)
10. Nas - Good Morning (2:22)
11. Nas - Find Ya Wealth (3:40)
12. Nas - High (2:30)
13. Nas - New York Talk (3:52)
14. Nas - Silent Murder (With Bonus Verse) (3:23)
15. Nas - Stay Chizzled (Large Professor Remix) (3:29)
16. Nas - Star Wars (4:08)
17. Nas - Understanding (3:13)
18. Nas - Life is Like a Dice Game (Extended Mix) (4:22)
19. Nas - Take it in Blood (Alternate Verses) (4:18)
20. Nas - You Don't Know Me (3:39)
21. Nas - Project Window (Original Version) (5:04)
22. Nas - 2Nd Childhood Remix Medley (Bonus Track) (4:33)
23. Nas - The World is Yours II Dead Presidents Blend (Bonus Track) (2:55)

Disc 2: Verses From... the Bowels of Hell

01. Nas - Verse From 93 Westwood Show (2:15)
02. Nas - Sinful Living (1:46)
03. Nas - Firm Clue Freestyle (2:02)
04. Nas - Verse From Funk Flex Volume 2 (1:28)
05. Nas - The Foulness (Part 1 And 2) (3:14)
06. Nas - One Plus One (Minus One) (1:39)
07. Nas - Hot 97 Freestyle (True Dialect) (0:46)
08. Nas - Verses From Everything is Real (1:19)
09. Nas - Bonus Verses From Ain't Hard to Tell (2:31)
10. Nas - Bonus Verse From Street Dreams (1:10)
11. Nas - Verse From Desperados 2 (1:37)
12. Nas - Verse From Affirmative Action Remix (1:27)
13. Nas - Verse From Thug Calm Down (1:19)
14. Nas - Verse From Last Words (1:54)
15. Nas - Eye For An Eye Freestyle (1:30)
16. Nas - Verse From to My (1:11)
17. Nas - Verses From Soundtrack to The Streets (2:11)
18. Nas - Live From The Bridge (Minus Clue on The Bridge) (2:25)
19. Nas - Verse From a Few Good Niggas (1:48)
20. Nas - Verse From Let My Niggas Live (1:13)
21. Nas - Stillmatic Freestyle (2:26)
22. Nas - Verse From It's Mine (1:03)
23. Nas - Verse From Be Ez (1:21)
24. Nas - Verse From Show Discipline (0:42)
25. Nas - Verse From Da Bridge 2001 (0:56)
26. Nas - Verse From Made U Look Remix (0:58)
27. Nas - Verse From Some of Em (1:12)
28. Nas - Verse From in Between Us (1:01)
29. Nas - Verse From Self Conscience (1:34)
30. Nas - Verse From Road to Zion (1:03)
31. Nas - Verse From Never Too Late (1:41)
32. Nas - Verse From Journey Through Life (1:24)
33. Nas - Verse From Good Life (0:43)
34. Nas - Verses From Let Em Hang (1:22)
35. Nas - Verses From I Want it (1:58)
36. Nas - Jonesin' (1:19)
37. Nas - Verse From Bravehearted (0:58)
38. Nas - Verse from Livin Thug (1:04)
39. Nas - 2006 Freestyle (1:51)
40. Nas - The Curse (1:01)
41. Nas - My Will (1:49)
42. Nas - Zone Out Over Just Blaze (Bonus Track) (1:45)

Disc 3: Synergy

01. Nas - Life's a Bitch Featuring AZ (Statik Selektah Mad Sol Remix) (2:39)
02. Nas - In Too Deep Featuring Nature (3:41)
03. Nas - John Blaze Featuring Big Punisher Jadakiss And Raekwon (3:54)
04. Nas - Mo Money Mo Murder Homicide Featuring AZ (5:11)
05. Nas - The Foulness (Part 3) Featuring Nature (1:44)
06. Nas - Serious Featuring AZ (2:14)
07. Nas - Streets of New York (No Singing) Featuring Rakim (1:42)
08. Nas - Analyze This Featuring Jay-Z (2:40)
09. Nas - Fast Life (Buckwild Remix) Featuring Kool G Rap (4:53)
10. Nas - Wake Up Show 94 Anthem Featuring Lauryn Hill, Organized Konfusion, And Ras Kass (2:23)
11. Nas - The Foulness (Part 4) Featuring Nature (1:40)
12. Nas - Tick Tock Featuring Prodigy (3:47)
13. Nas - Queenstyle Featuring Noreaga (4:41)
14. Nas - Body in The Trunk Featuring Noreaga (3:45)
15. Nas - Time Featuring AZ And Nature (3:44)
16. Nas - Everyday Thing Featuring Nature And Dre (4:36)
17. Nas - Sometimes I Wonder Featuring Nature (4:51)
18. Nas - Thugz Mansion (Cookin Soul Remix) Featuring 2Pac (3:40)
19. Nas - Why (Remix) Featuring Jadakiss And Common (3:02)
20. Nas - Music For Life Featuring Common (4:57)
21. Nas - Eye For An Eye Featuring Mobb Deep And Raekwon (4:48)
22. Nas - Verbal Intercourse Featuring Raekwon And Ghostface (3:31)

True King

Post by True King »

where'd you get that?

mud

Post by mud »

Jacked from Soundcircuit.

Great mix.

True King

Post by True King »

yeah I know. just makin sure everybody else did.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

:arrow:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

True King wrote:yeah I know. just makin sure everybody else did.

that's what I'm sayin.

Lil Wayne's fun and all... but he's not doing certain shit Nas is doing.

Wayne's a good rapper... for the kids, LOL

when I want to stop thinking about purp and money and want to start listening to deeper music... I always got Nas.

pestilence

Post by pestilence »

thebigk wrote:
pestilence wrote:
like what?

you know, just rare shit by him? b-sides.. non-album tracks?
Looks like you got what you were asking for already.
Im kinda pissed off though... for the fact that I got one nas song on heavy ipod rotation... its the Talk of New York (Hard to Earn mix)... i got to find that to upload it... i don't recall saving it on a disc though... I'll look... if you didn't hear that you're missing out.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The sly fox
Cyclops
We locked
In the idiot box
The video slots
Broadcast
The Waco Davidian plots
They own YouTube, Myspace
When this ignorant shit gon' stop?
They monopolizing news
Your views
And the channel you choose
Propaganda
Visual cancer
The eye
In the sky
Number five
On the dial
secret agenda
Frequency antenna
Doctor mind bender
Remote control
soul
Controller
Your brain holder
Slave culture
Game's over
What's a Fox characteristic?
Slick shit
Sensin'
Misinformation
Pimp the station
Over stimulation
Reception
Deception
Comcast digital Satan
The Fox has a bushy tail
And Bush tells
Lies and Foxtrots
So I don't know what's real

[Chorus]

Watch what you watchin'
Fox keeps feeding us toxins
Stop sleeping
Start thinking
Outside of the box and
Unplug from The Matrix doctrine
But watch what you say Big Brother is watchin'

Watch what you watchin'
Stop sleeping
Start thinking
Outside of the box and
But watch what you say Fox 5 is watchin'

[Verse 2:NaS]

The Fear Factor got you all rattled up
O' Reilly
Oh really?
No rally needed
I'll tie you up
Network for child predators, settin' 'em up
Myspace pimps, hoes, and sluts
Ya'll exploit rap culture, then ya'll flip on us
And you own the post, and ya'll shit on us
What is they net worth?
They gon' try to censor my next verse?
Throw 'em off the roof neck first
While I'm clicking my cursor
Reading blogs about the pressure they put on Universal
It gets worse while I'm clicking my mouse
While they kickin' my house
They figured us out
Why a nigga go south
It's either he caught a body, no sleep they watchin'!
I watch CBS
And I See B.S.!
Tryin' to track us down with GPS
Make a nigga wanna invest in PBS

[Chorus]

Watch what you watchin'
Stop sleeping
Start thinking
Outside of the box and
But watch what you say Big Brother is watchin'

Watch what you watchin'
Stop sleeping
Start thinking
Outside of the box and
But watch what you say Fox 5 is watchin'

[Verse 3:NaS]

They say I'm all about murder-murder and kill-kill
But what about Grindhouse and Kill Bill?
What about Cheney and Halliburton? (Halliburton?)
The backdoor deals
On oil fields
How's NaS the most violent person?
Ya'll don't know talent if it hit you
Bringin' up my criminal possession charges with a pistol (pistol)
I use Viacom
As my firearm
And let the lyrics split you
Who do you rely upon?
They shoot shells at Leviathan
I'm dealing with the higher form
F**k if you care how I write a poem?
Only Fox that I love was the red one
Only black man that Fox loves is in jail or a dead one!
Red rum
Political bedlam
Don't let the hype into your eyes and ear drum
Murdoch on Fox
Not 18 with Barracas
And he hate Barack cause
He march with the marchers

[Outro]

I pledge allegiance to the fair and balanced truth.
Not the biased truth
Not the liar's truth
But the highest truth
I will not be deceived
nor will I believe
In the Propaganda
I will not fall for the Okey-Doke
I am tuned-in

[NaS]

Watch, cause they're watching
Watch what you're watching

Better watch, cause they're watching

Me-Me-Media
Misleading ya

how you dont appreciate this I dont get..coulda got better beats, but like usual he spits crazy

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:The only thing I don't like is how every fucking song is negro-conscious. The concept gets so stale towards the end I feel like screaming NIGGGGGER! just to offend a random black guy on the bus.

"It's not for you, you don't understand the black mans bla bla bla bla" some might say, and this is true. Yet I hardly believe Nas sits at home all day pondering his blackness, and if he does he has too much time on his hands. Hes forcing the black-leader role down people's throat without anyone really proclaiming him spokesperson for anything at all.
WTF are you on about. he's not forcing shit down anyone's throat. you chose to listen to his album

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

People are still talking about this? Really?

Album sucks, end of thread. :lock:
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:People are still talking about this? Really?

Album sucks, end of thread. :lock:
dont you dare.
album is relevant.

y'all haters, go listen to Weezy