Is Immortal Technique the most hated indie rapper?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Is Immortal Technique the most hated indie rapper?

Post by Philaflava »

I was having this discussion with a few folks and it seems like IT is hated more than any other indie rapper. Maybe it's just on the "net" but I have noticed all the major forums (not just :phila:) seems to despised the man.

What I don't get is his career continues to blossom. He linked up with Green Lantern and put out a street tape in all retail chains. He's done tracks with Chuck D and KRS. He headlines shows all throughout the country. He is constantly on big bills and from what I'm told his albums do fairly well. Maybe he's more liked outside of the U.S. but enlighten me on why you believe he is so disliked. Is there another indie rapper today who gets more hate than him?

IT has a great stage presence and I enjoyed Rev. 2 when it first dropped but a lot of those then fans seemed to be frat boys found rockin' a Che shirt are most of those kids are now 5 years out, married and living the corporate dream so are they still supporting Immortal Tech?

How did he become so hated over the years?
Last edited by Philaflava on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

He's despised because he's a pompous, pathetic, fat, Mario mustached, wheezing wetback peddling cliched misinformation via netcee-level lyrics over subpar Soundclick production or songs with samples which've been used numerous times already to eastern europeans and ginger whigger morons that got into rap when RATM and Limp Bizkit made songs with rappers who couldn't handle criticism online and would threaten to beat the shit out of anyone who dared question him on any forum he posted at who then got stomped at Fat Beats by a chinese kid who later served in Iraq and is now in a mental institutiuon.

True fuckin' stories, truss.

He's also a hypocrite who claims to be anti capitalist when he does photoshoots in Playboy and appears on the Warped Tour.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

D. James

Post by D. James »

He's a proud, black Latino who's speaking the truth rather than shucking and jiving. That threatens a lot of white people. They love it when we rap about killing each other, you can kill "niggas" thousands of times on your album and that's cool but when you attack the defenders of the racist power structure of the U.S. (i.e. NWA's "Fuck the Police") you get a letter from the FBI. I remember seeing an interview with Michael Franti where he mentioned that he and other members of his band have been visited by government agents and asked questions like "Do you want to change the government?" etc. I don't know if Technique has been through any shit like that, but it wouldn't surprise me. His constant criticisms of US foreign policy and the legacy of racism upon which this country was founded can't sit well the conservative, "Go America!" types and their representation among hip hop fans seems to be growing exponentially. Basically, hip hop in 2008 is conservative and white. So being an angry liberal, especially an angry liberal of color, is going to attract a great deal of animosity.

ape9

Post by ape9 »

I think dudes ill... that 3rd world shit he dropped with Green Lantern is hottness... I don't like his whole cataloge.. but def has some good music.. plus gotta support my gente

D. James

Post by D. James »

I Drive A Lexus wrote: who then got stomped at Fat Beats by a chinese kid who later served in Iraq and is now in a mental institutiuon.
:naswtf: :lol:

Is there any video of this? Were you there?

I Drive A Lexus wrote: He's also a hypocrite who claims to be anti capitalist when he does photoshoots in Playboy and appears on the Warped Tour.
He lives in a capitalist country. Short of move somewhere else, what is he going to do? Is Noam Chomsky a hypocrite because his books are sold in Border's? Border's represents everything Chomsky hates but that's where people buy books. Fuck is he going to do? Stand on the corner and try to get people passing by to buy his shit? In a capitalist country you can either conform to a capitalist way of life or you can starve.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

The funniest/worst thing about Immortal technique is his I-just-watched-two-Michael-Moore-documentaries-and-now-I-know-who-did-9/11 raps. The fact that he intersperses them with necro-esque shock lyrics is even funnier.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I started hating him when I saw him live opening for Vast and Bro Ali. First he start off on some "I hear there's a cop in the crowd, fuck snitches, etc" nonsense that the rich white kids in attendance ate up like retards. The whole thing just came off like every guy in a Che shirt and a Castro hat rapping to well, every guy in a Che shirt in a Castro hat about the struggle and opression that neither actually experienced. The whole thing felt corny and fake as shit.

He's a talented MC, but he just bores me.

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

one of the worst live shows i've ever seen for someone that talks incredible amounts of shit about how terrible every one else is.

Face the facts, Raven, Technique is no different to Rick Ross : both fat fakes making a living selling a cartoon character to morons.

I saw the Fat Beats beatdown and also witnessed Technique and his crew snitching to the cops afterwards. No video but this is the nip behind the meeting who now resides in some funny farm in DC.

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

^^^did going to iraq to put him in the mental institution or did he go over there with problems?

LOL.

He already had problems.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

oh man...IDAL is a fountain of lol inducing info.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Tommy has an external hard drive of every picture posted on both UGHH and Philaflava.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Dids wrote:First he start off on some "I hear there's a cop in the crowd, fuck snitches, etc" nonsense that the rich white kids in attendance ate up like retards.
Hustlecrowe talking about RTB wrote: Highlights for me were

Immortal Technique dissing the cops who were most likely undercover in the concert

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

He sure is my most hated indie rapper. I think he's terrible.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

He used to post on here or HHI and was hilarious.

If someone dissed him in even the most minor fashion, he would flip the fuck out and say exactly the same thing every. fucking. time.

"Nigga, I was born in a military hospital in Peru. I live in Harlem and will shoot you."

Mock Duck

Post by Mock Duck »

I assumed most people liked him until I came to this board lol!

his fanbase is mostly colleage freshmen white kids who just got into rap or "political rap" and I swear they just think its cool that he says the n-word
these are the same kids that will say "I only listen to real hip hop like Atmosphere, Common, Roots, Lupe and not rap like Dipset or Game

I hate those kids
eat rotten mock duck

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

D. James wrote:He's a proud, black Latino who's speaking the truth rather than shucking and jiving. That threatens a lot of white people. They love it when we rap about killing each other, you can kill "niggas" thousands of times on your album and that's cool but when you attack the defenders of the racist power structure of the U.S. (i.e. NWA's "Fuck the Police") you get a letter from the FBI. I remember seeing an interview with Michael Franti where he mentioned that he and other members of his band have been visited by government agents and asked questions like "Do you want to change the government?" etc. I don't know if Technique has been through any shit like that, but it wouldn't surprise me. His constant criticisms of US foreign policy and the legacy of racism upon which this country was founded can't sit well the conservative, "Go America!" types and their representation among hip hop fans seems to be growing exponentially. Basically, hip hop in 2008 is conservative and white. So being an angry liberal, especially an angry liberal of color, is going to attract a great deal of animosity.
:rofl:

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Seiko Flossberg wrote:
D. James wrote:He's a proud, black Latino who's speaking the truth rather than shucking and jiving. That threatens a lot of white people. They love it when we rap about killing each other, you can kill "niggas" thousands of times on your album and that's cool but when you attack the defenders of the racist power structure of the U.S. (i.e. NWA's "Fuck the Police") you get a letter from the FBI. I remember seeing an interview with Michael Franti where he mentioned that he and other members of his band have been visited by government agents and asked questions like "Do you want to change the government?" etc. I don't know if Technique has been through any shit like that, but it wouldn't surprise me. His constant criticisms of US foreign policy and the legacy of racism upon which this country was founded can't sit well the conservative, "Go America!" types and their representation among hip hop fans seems to be growing exponentially. Basically, hip hop in 2008 is conservative and white. So being an angry liberal, especially an angry liberal of color, is going to attract a great deal of animosity.
Major :rofl:

Anyone who gets their politics from Immortal Technique :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

LOL @ Intuition and Y@k.

He also got caught posting under various aliases which he'd come to his own rescue with in threads he'd get sonned in on UGHH.com and he went nutso on a girl from UGHH threatening to rape her after she embarrassed him by posting up aim convos of him tryna holla at her with the most laughable e-game i've ever seen.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

he was interviewed for public tv here, chatting shit on a stoop. then a rele fine girl walks by and he says "how are you doing?" then looks all righteous for the camera and says "see, i didn't say nice tits."

fuck this guy.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

most people i know in real life like immortal technique. i don't see any difference between what he does and what militant rappers from back in the day did. plus he's a good mc.

he just gets hated on the net.

D. James

Post by D. James »

vinylpops wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:

Anyone who gets their politics from Immortal Technique :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
:larry:

Did you even read what I wrote?

Verge

Post by Verge »

I Drive A Lexus wrote: eastern europeans and ginger whigger morons
:rofl: :rofl: Your ginger references are hilarious...kill me every time

admiral

Post by admiral »

D. James wrote:
vinylpops wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:

:larry:

Did you even read what I wrote?
Unfortunately, yes

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Revolutionary Volume 2 was pretty good, I thought... but he does seem like a dick, who would be paranoid about eating a bowl of Rice Krispies in case they had been poisoned by the FBI.

Haitian Jack

Re: Is Immortal Technique the most hated indie rapper?

Post by Haitian Jack »

Philaflava wrote:I was having this discussion with a few folks and it seems like IT is hated more than any other indie rapper. Maybe it's just on the "net" but I have noticed all the major forums (not just :phila:) seems to despised the man.

What I don't get is his career continues to blossom. He linked up with Green Lantern and put out a street tape in all retail chains. He's done tracks with Chuck D and KRS. He headlines shows all throughout the country. He is constantly on big bills and from what I'm told his albums do fairly well. Maybe he's more liked outside of the U.S. but enlighten me on why you believe he is so disliked. Is there another indie rapper today who gets more hate than him?

IT has a great stage presence and I enjoyed Rev. 2 when it first dropped but a lot of those then fans seemed to be frat boys found rockin' a Che shirt are most of those kids are now 5 years out, married and living the corporate dream so are they still supporting Immortal Tech?

How did he become so hated over the years?
i think sum of it has to be backlash on how big he got plus the guy comes off like a dick but his stage show is solid so i think there must be sumthin more to sum peoples blind hartred. i think duke is right about rap bein consarvative now cuz if tech was out back in the days nobody wuld be complainin. i dont agree wit him on sum thangs but to say he dont know what hes talkin about is retardad

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

People get caught up in the specifics of his words. If anything, his shit should make you wanna find out what the truth really is to you. The 3rd World was a pleasant surprise because I thought I was pretty much over his music. He's solid lyrically and his flow is better. I can't listen to a whole album front to back but he's got joints. He gets a lot of hate on the 'net but he's got a fanbase out in the world that's loyal and he's making moves.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:He used to post on here or HHI and was hilarious.

If someone dissed him in even the most minor fashion, he would flip the fuck out and say exactly the same thing every. fucking. time.

"Nigga, I was born in a military hospital in Peru. I live in Harlem and will shoot you."
It's funny cuz it's true. But change the quote to all caps.

My first introduction to Immortal Technique were his hilarious rants on HHI, and I haven't been able to take him seriously since.

That said, he's pretty big here in England, relatively speaking. Kids here eat that kinda shit up.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

Req

Post by Req »

Rappers need to stay away from general public msg boards for the most part. I remember Vakill used to post at HHI and was annoying as fuck.