The best KRS-ONE song in a long time

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

The best KRS-ONE song in a long time

Post by Philaflava »

Zip file contains clean, dirty & instrumental.

DJ Revolution - KRS-ONE - The DJ

Very awesome song. When he has a nice beat and something to actually rap, KRS can still wreck shit.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

i can't seem to get to the download page for some reason. i think zshare is fucking up at the moment.

interested to hear this joint. to be honest i thought he had some real bangers on that marley marl album.

whats this off of? is dj revolution making a new album?

True King

Post by True King »

heard this on Sirius a couple weeks back & was suprised a new KRS joint actually held my attention.

i should check that Marley album tho

Martin

Post by Martin »

did krs already rap over this sample? this sounds real familiar.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Martin wrote:did krs already rap over this sample? this sounds real familiar.

yeah these are the same strings from "the mc"
which makes sense when you notice this song is called "the dj"

great track

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

dont sleep

phil connors

Post by phil connors »

Yeah, this is a dope joint. Its definitely been a looooong time since I've heard anything worthwhile from KRS.
Balzac wrote:whats this off of? is dj revolution making a new album?
It comes out Sept 16th.

1. Intro feat. DJ Jazzy Jeff
2. King Of The Decks feat. Sean Price (of Heltah Skeltah), Tash (of Tha Alkaholiks)
3. The DJ feat. KRS-One
4. Do Your Thing feat. Guilty Simpson, Royce 5'9"
5. LADJ
6. Funky Piano feat. Bishop Lamont, Crooked I, Styliztik Jones
7. The Big Top feat. Special Teamz (EDO.G, Slaine, Jaysaun)
8. Start The Revolution feat. Boot Camp Click
9. Scratch Nerds
10. Invaders From The Planet Sqratch feat. DJ Q-Bert
11. Ey! Feat. Joell Ortiz, Termanology
12. Casualties Of Tour feat. Rakaa Iriscience (of Dilated Peoples)
13. Damage feat. Blaq Poet, Bumpy Knuckles (aka Freddie Foxxx)
14. Willie Lynch feat. Styliztik Jones, KB Imean
15. The Biggest Up
16. Blow Da Spot feat. Strong Arm Steady (Xzibit, Phil The Agony, Krondon, Mitchy Slick) 17. School feat. Planet Asia18. Spit Ridiculous feat. Defari (Produced By: DJ Revolution) -
19. Pro's & Con's feat. Evidence (of Dilated Peoples)
20. Man Or Machine feat. KB Imean
21. The Set Up feat. Sway & Tech 22. The Rematch feat. DJ Spinbad
Last edited by phil connors on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

^^^^

word, that looks great.

comes out soon too.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

this is a very good song

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

really dope

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

This Thread needs more love, this is song is pretty damn dope, Good Look Gloss

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

yeah this is nice, props.
Martin wrote:did krs already rap over this sample? this sounds real familiar.
sounds like the same one used in rza's tragedy as well.

Ming-Tzu

Post by Ming-Tzu »

The story behind how this song was made might be even better

http://grandgood.com/2008/08/25/dj-revo ... g-krs-one/
As soon as I heard the sample, I knew I had to make this track with KRS or not make it at all. In ג€™95 or ג€™96 he did a record called ג€˜The MC.ג€™ This sample had a similar melody, so I knew I had to make ג€œThe DJג€ with him. As a matter of fact, I didnג€™t even do any production on the track until I got in contact with him, and he told me his was interested. I have known him for some time, so getting a hold of him wasnג€™t that difficult. I got to work on the track and sent it over to him, and at the same time I talked to his assistant to set up a session at my spot.

What happened when he came through later that week was possibly one of the biggest highlights of my career. KRS sat across from me in my studio and interviewed me about the things I wanted to express in this record. We just talked, and while were talking, he was jotting down notes on some pieces of paper I had given him. Basically, he got me going, and as I rambled on about everything from digital DJing to the way most DJs on the radio or in clubs donג€™t really have the basic required skills to call themselves DJs, he wrote down what he needed. Somewhere into the conversation he started asking me to sum up all the things I had into phrases he used as the ג€˜tenetsג€™ of being a DJ.

After almost an hour he said, ג€˜I think I got what I need. You can just let me be for a while, and Iג€™ll let you know when Iג€™m done.ג€™ It was amazing for me to be interviewed by one of the greatest talents in hip-hop history and then have the result of that be put into a rhyme he wrote right on the spot in front of me. Then witnessing his recording process was another story in and of itself. The funniest thing is when he was getting set up in the booth, I checked out some of the notes he was writing while we talked. Most of the major words or phrases that he used as the basis for putting all of that shit together were written in graffiti. It was incredible. And every hip-hop producer wishes they got a chance to work with this dude. Getting DJ Premier to talk shit on the first chorus was a no-brainer. I felt like it needed energy coming out of KRSג€™s first verse and not scratching like I did with the second chorus. Primo wanted more time to talk between the verses, but I asked him to cut it to 8 bars. Premier is a good friend, and I really appreciated him adding some icing on the cake for me. Peopleג€™s reaction when they recognize his voice on the track is priceless! ג€˜Is that Primo?ג€™ I Love it.

For KRSג€™ vocals, I used a Rode NT2 mic that I refuse to give up. Still sounds great with the right person after a long time. After getting them recorded, I stacked a Waves DeEsser, A Renaissance 4-band EQ and a Renaissance Compressor. Itג€™s what Iג€™m most comfortable with and again its not too much tweaking. I feel like if you have to mess with the vocals too much, then they got recorded wrong in the first place. I had some light delay and reverb on KRS main tracks, as well. He did two background tracks and laid down a crazy bridge that I might decide to put on a remix or a version for the special edition DVD.

godmc

Post by godmc »

i love it, good for krs. thanks for this.

provoked15

Post by provoked15 »

that's a dope article, i've caught a speech or two from KRS, dude definitely reigns supreme.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

king of the decks preview + commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1iIJl5gEk

Quality Control

Post by Quality Control »

Dope Song...The 'adventures in emceeing' album is nice as well...still bumpin it on the regular...

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

StressIzHim wrote:This Thread needs more love, this is song is pretty damn dope, Good Look Gloss
"i took my grandmother car b/c i got mad at my mom. and then i had my friend in and he smokes with cigarettes"

ROFL ROFL ROFL

LATERRIAN MILTON
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ALONG THE WAY HE RAN OVER TWO MAILBOXES, HIT TWO PARKED CARS, HIT TWO MOVING CARS...

I WANNA DO IT CUZ ITS FUN. IT'S FUN TO DO RAD THINGS. TO DRIVE IN A CAR.

I WANTED TO DO HOOD RUSH THINGS WITH MY FRIEND.

:lastweek: like a muthafucka but godamn
Nets 2022

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Haven't listened it in a few days. Still :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

This shit is so dope and I pretty much hate todays KRS.

My god.

Solo45

Post by Solo45 »

HOLY SHIT,
I CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS THREAD!
THIS SHIT IS FUCKING RAW
GOOD LOOKS PHILA!