Bonds 756

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

GLUS

Bonds 756

Post by GLUS »

its over

Shyste502

Post by Shyste502 »

I was surprised to see Aaron's speech

vinylfiend

Post by vinylfiend »

It was a majestic shot to the deepest part of AT&T park. Props to Hank for passing the torch on the jumbotron.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

time to start padding so its tougher for ARod

the espn article is hilariously bad, the announcers are bad too

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

I didn't see Aaron's speech, but Barry is now the home run champion, whether he cheated or not. Personally, I don't think the record means as much as it used to when Hank broke it. It's been cheapened like a lot of records in baseball.

Barry, enjoy this moment because things only get worse from here.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Money Gripp wrote:I didn't see Aaron's speech, but Barry is now the home run champion, whether he cheated or not. Personally, I don't think the record means as much as it used to when Hank broke it. It's been cheapened like a lot of records in baseball.

its either nostalgia on your part, or a lack of knowledge about baseball

BeHemoth
Bam Bam

Post by BeHemoth »

Shyste502 wrote:I was surprised to see Aaron's speech

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

eternalreflection wrote:
Money Gripp wrote:I didn't see Aaron's speech, but Barry is now the home run champion, whether he cheated or not. Personally, I don't think the record means as much as it used to when Hank broke it. It's been cheapened like a lot of records in baseball.

its either nostalgia on your part, or a lack of knowledge about baseball
Hmm. I would say it is my knowledge and appreciation of baseball's records that makes me not so happy about Barry being the all-time home run king. Hank was considered not only second to the Babe, but he was also considered a second-class citizen by a lot of people. He was spit on, called a "nigger", had his life threatened and really nobody wanted him to be the all-time leader. Then generations passed and kids like me grew up with Hank Aaron being the very best. We knew Babe was great, but we knew what Hank went through to get that record and that he deserved it.

So maybe you're right. Maybe it is nostalgia. I'll miss 755. It will be sad to tell my kids that the all-time HR champ was a sad, arrogant, unlikeable human being who had a ton of talent, but had to inject some poison into his body so he could get that record. But I guess if he wants it, he can have it.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Also call me a softy but Bonds home run doesn't do as much for me as Hank Aaron's record-breaking home run. The random white dudes come out onto the field, not to beat his head in, but to congratulate him - something that would have been unthinkable when Hank started his career. Bonds' moment, like the man, was bloated and anti-climactic.

Whatever.

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

A Met fan from Queens caught it.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

^^^ I saw the Mets shirt and I was like :naswtf: . Good for him.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Money Gripp wrote:Also call me a softy but Bonds home run doesn't do as much for me as Hank Aaron's record-breaking home run. The random white dudes come out onto the field, not to beat his head in, but to congratulate him - something that would have been unthinkable when Hank started his career. Bonds' moment, like the man, was bloated and anti-climactic.

Whatever.
Aaron's 715 was 100times more dramatic that is unquestionable

side note the major sportsnetworks have shown a total lack of class, with the asterisks, then you go over to the BBCsports site see a unbiased account of the event, its night and day difference

BBC>>>>>>>>>>>>espn, cnnsi, yahoo
Last edited by eternalreflection on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

It's 'asterisk' and he deserved to have one next to his record.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Psychosis wrote:It's 'asterisk' and he deserved to have one next to his record.
Hank needs one too

greenie using "cheater"

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

from Cuban's blog

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

Congrats Barry Bonds

Aug 6th 2007 8:13AM
You did it. Not only did you tie the record, but you have done it on your own terms.

No amount of discussion can minimize how difficult that must have been for him No disrespect to Hammering Hank. I remember exactly where I was April 8Th 1974. Hank Aaron had the mountains of his generation to climb to pass Babe Ruth. He took on segregation, integration and prejudice to pass Babe Ruth.. There is not an accomplishment in sport that can reduce the importance of what Mr Aaron accomplished. He will always be revered.

Barry Bonds shouldn't be revered for his accomplishments, but he certainly should be respected as one of Baseball's all time best. Barry Bonds should be appreciated for being the most prolific home run hitter in baseball history when he breaks the record.

Every generation of sport has its own unique fingerprint of change. Every generation of sport has traditions that have been retained and those that have been lost. For some reason there are a lot of baseball fans who seem not to recognize the challenges of each generation. That only the "gold old days" mattered.

The PR problem Barry Bonds faces is that all baseball fans know far less about players from their past than they think they do, and that allows them to think far more fondly of them.

Those of us who grew up pre cable, satellite and Internet don't know nearly as much about our sports icons from the early '80s and before as we think we do. Back then we got the game of the week and Sports Illustrated as our source of national baseball information.

Barry Bonds has had the misfortune of winding up his career and tying the record in the generation of Massive Media. The last 10 years , with the advent of satellite TV, digital cable, the Internet and even camera phones, have placed every minute of Barry (and most prominent figures) lives under continuous scrutiny. Unlike the legendary stories in baseball history that were never made public at the time they happened to protect the player involved, today there is a "bounty of fame" on any person or outlet who can catch Barry in anything that can be sold to an Internet site or any of the sports TV networks across the country.

The escalation of scrutiny, even since late 90's annual Home Run Derbies , has been dramatic. Everything is on video these days.

Barry, rather than taking the "film me please, I'm a celebrity" approach to media scrutiny, has done everything he possibly can to live his life on his own terms. He hasn't been media friendly. He has been family friendly... to his own family.

I respect that to no end.

In 25 years any controversy associated with Barry's quest for the record will be long forgotten. In 2032, For all the video available on demand that would allow the most die hard fan to relive these 2007 moments as if it were happening in real time, they wont. In 2032 there will be something new that captures our imagination and attention while we yearn, like every generation before us, for the Good Old Days when we watched the great players of our youth, Bonds, Arod, Glavine reach milestones that gave us something to cheer about.
[/b]

citizen

Post by citizen »

well

citizen

Post by citizen »

well

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

fuck the asterisk stuff, everyone used steroids during the last decade and a half of baseball and other people get to keep their batting titles, MVPs, teams get to keep their world series trophies, theres no way of correcting it except making sure it cant happen any longer.

arods on pace to absolutely shatter the record anyways, though he still has a long way to go, and he is suspected to have always been clean.

djm13

Post by djm13 »

Stunna7516 wrote:
arods on pace to absolutely shatter the record anyways, though he still has a long way to go, and he is suspected to have always been clean.
funny how players are no longer "suspected to have been on roids" but rather "suspected" to have been "clean"

an-also

Post by an-also »

Steroids or not, hes a beast. Its MLB's stupid ass fault for not having it against their rules.

FAZER

Post by FAZER »

I was there working for the jumbotron...it was pretty crazy...but not as crazy as I thought it would be. I was on camera, and had a pretty nice shot until everyone jumped up and blocked me. It was a fun experience though. I didn't even know about the Hank Aaron video until they rolled it.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Thank god it's over, so sick of having Bonds stuffed down my throat all day everyday. (no homo)

I have to say that if there was no controversey surrounding him I think it would have been a much bigger deal than it was to most fans. Even though I'll agree that the fact that he did roids isn't as important to the average fan as it is to hardcore fans it definitely affected this chase.

What should have been a huge celebration celebrating the breaking of the most hallowed record in all sports instead passed with a whimper. I didn't watch it live, which if you had asked me ten years ago that I wouldn't, I would have called you a damn liar. It's really a shame cause I wanted to be excited.

Still, fuck all that asterisk bullshit. We'll never know who was doing what when, even though it's clear Bonds was using. Let it go, move on, and ensure that it doesn't continue to happen.

We don't need a speech from ThaJim2 about why steroids aren't a big deal either, so stow it chappie.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Record will be broken by A-Rod and none of this will matter.

MGP
The Slick Rick of PF

Post by MGP »

Philaflava wrote:Record will be broken by A-Rod and none of this will matter.
That's how I feel too.

A decade from now, none of this will make a difference.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Congrats again to the greatest player since babe ruth. And it was nice to see Arron finally show some class in all of this unlike say Bud.

Also great blog entry by Cuban he is the man and for that i hope he does not buy the sorry ass cubs.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

REAL STORY: NATIONALS WIN, MOVE INTO FOURTH PLACE, NOT LAST PLACE, WON 7 of 8. DMITRI YOUNG, RYAN ZIMMERMAN CO-MVPs

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:REAL STORY: NATIONALS WIN, MOVE INTO FOURTH PLACE, NOT LAST PLACE, WON 7 of 8. DMITRI YOUNG, RYAN ZIMMERMAN CO-MVPs
Fuck the Nationals.

And Pujols is gonna God Body A-Rod.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

djm13 wrote:
Stunna7516 wrote:
funny how players are no longer "suspected to have been on roids" but rather "suspected" to have been "clean"
its even more amusing that people actually thought players at any point in baseball history were "clean"

its truly amazing how the internet has changed sports

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Cant wait till its comes out he used HGH or something else to become a middle linebacker playing 3b.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.