Official NBA Off-Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

djm13

Post by djm13 »

On the bright side, he dubbed his ride the "Smushcalade"

And yeah he is a bit of an NYC streetball legend. They called him the Grim Reaper.

Every time I watch him he seems to come up with a lot of steals but I don't think the numbers really agree with that. Seems like a somewhat pesky defender to me though. And his three point shooting has come a long way, but he's far from a sniper or anything.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Curry, family robbed in suburban Chicago home
ESPN.com news services

In the second such robbery in weeks of an NBA player with Chicago roots, New York Knicks center Eddy Curry and his family were robbed at gunpoint in his suburban Chicago home early Saturday morning.

Deputy chief of police John Madden said three offenders restrained Curry, his family and an employee with duct tape inside the Burr Ridge home.

"We [are] aware of the situation and are very thankful that Eddy Curry and his family are safe," the Knicks said in a statement. "He told us it was a traumatic experience. At this time we are aware that the local authorities are handling the situation."

Madden said police believe it was not a random incident.

No one was injured in the incident, and the robbers made off with cash and jewelry. The Web site for Chicago's CBS affiliate reported a total of $10,000 in cash was taken from Curry's home. The value of the jewelry was not determined.

Mark Thomas, a family friend and brother of Knicks coach and general manager Isaiah Thomas, spoke on behalf of Curry and the basketball player's family, according to the Web site of Chicago's CBS affiliate, saying that everyone was doing fine but would not have any immediate comments.

Curry was traded from the Chicago Bulls to the Knicks in October 2005.

Police and witnesses said two offenders held Miami Heat foward Antoine Walker and at least one other person at gunpoint during a robbery at his home July 9 in Chicago's River North neighborhood.

Walker and a relative were bound at gunpoint while multiple robbers took a car, cash and jewelry from his residence.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

KG To Boston Almost Done?

The on-again, off-again deal with the Boston Celtics acquiring Kevin Garnett apparently is back on.

According to sources, the current deal on the table has the 6-foot-11 Garnett heading to Boston and the Celtics dealing away Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff's hefty expiring contract and Rajon Rondo. There may also be other players and draft picks involved.

It's not quite done, but three industry sources ג€” including one close to the Celtics ג€” told FOXSports.com that it's extremely close and could become official within the next 48 hours.

"It's basically done," one source said. "If it does happen, this will make the Celtics relevant again."

Celtics boss Danny Ainge attempted to trade for the Minnesota Timberwolves star forward prior to the NBA Draft, but the 31-year-old perennial All-Star had no interest in heading to Boston.

However, things may have changed now that Ainge and the Celtics pulled off the draft day deal with Seattle for Ray Allen.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... most_done/

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

weird...a KG-Ray Allen-Paul Peirce trio...HUGE gamble with getting rid of Al Jefferson, but youd have to ink that team in as the best in the east by far. the problem is, they still don't got a natural point guard to run that ship
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

an-also

Post by an-also »

this would easily become the best trio in the east

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

an-also wrote:this would easily become the best trio in the east
If they were in the West they would be about a 7 seed.
:larry:
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

http://mvn.com/nba-timberwolves/2007/07 ... ld-78-cds/
Troy Hudson's CD sells 78 copies. Mindbender wonders how he worked his promotion game so well.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:http://mvn.com/nba-timberwolves/2007/07 ... ld-78-cds/
Troy Hudson's CD sells 78 copies. Mindbender wonders how he worked his promotion game so well.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

You guys remember the NBA?

Shawne Williams got that Indiana Fever (no Catchings)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3013965
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers saw another player land in legal trouble on Tuesday with the arrest of forward Shawne Williams on marijuana possession and other charges.

Pacers president Larry Bird quickly declared that the team was "extremely disappointed" by Williams' arrest -- the third time in less than a year that players have made the police blotter for their off-court actions.

Williams, the Pacers' first-round draft pick last year from Memphis, was booked into the Marion County Jail early Tuesday on initial charges of possession of marijuana, driving without a license, driving with an expired license plate and failure to signal a lane change, police said.

Bird was not sympathetic toward Williams.

"Although the legal process needs to be followed, we will not accept Shawne putting himself in this position, regardless of innocence or guilt," Bird said in a statement. "This was clearly a bad and unacceptable decision. We will be meeting with Shawne at some point to discuss this and pursue any disciplinary action we can take."

Williams was released Tuesday afternoon and did not speak with reporters as he left the jail.

Telephone messages were left for Williams' agent, Bill McCandless, and for James Voyles, a prominent Indianapolis defense attorney who left the jail with Williams.

An initial hearing for Williams is scheduled for Friday in Marion Superior Court.

Williams was driving the SUV, which was carrying two other men, when it was pulled over for changing lanes without signaling about 12:45 a.m., said Sgt. Matthew Mount, a city police spokesman.

When Williams rolled down the driver's side window, the officer detected a strong odor of marijuana, Mount said. Another officer later found a smoldering cigar-sized marijuana cigarette in the vehicle's ash tray, he said.

Both Williams and the front seat passenger, Roosevelt Rollins, of Memphis, Tenn., were arrested on marijuana possession charges.

"The guy in the front passenger seat, Mr. Rollins, said the marijuana was his and Mr. Williams denied knowledge of the marijuana even being in his car even though you could obviously smell the odor of burnt marijuana," Mount said.

Mount said Williams had no driver's license and instead handed the officer a Tennessee identification card. He said the SUV's license plate had expired in July.

The SUV's back seat passenger was arrested on charges of carrying a gun without a license and theft, as the 9 mm handgun had been reported stolen in Collierville, Tenn., according to a police report.

The 6-foot-9 Williams averaged 3.9 points and 1.8 rebounds in 46 games last season as a rookie for the Pacers.

The recent run of legal troubles for the Pacers started last Oct. 6 when Stephen Jackson and some teammates got into a fight with others at an Indianapolis strip club while out for the night during training camp.

Jackson, whom the Pacers traded to the Golden State Warriors in January, pleaded guilty in June to a felony charge for firing a gun into the air and was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service. He also has been suspended by the NBA for the first seven games of next season.

Pacers players Jamaal Tinsley and Marquis Daniels face pending charges stemming from a fight at an Indianapolis nightclub in February. Tinsley faces the most serious charge -- a felony count of intimidation.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
What about the mega Reggie Evans-Stephen Hunter deal!!?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3012940
The teams that combined on December's Allen Iverson blockbuster trade hooked up for another deal Monday.

Philadelphia and Denver agreed to a deal that sends reserve center Steven Hunter and second-year forward Bobby Jones to Iverson's Nuggets for forward Reggie Evans and the draft rights to Puerto Rican forward Ricky Sanchez.

The Nuggets knew they were thrusting themselves into luxury-tax territory when they won the Iverson Sweepstakes, but this deal will enable them to shed nearly $8 million in salary.

"This move greatly helps us add depth at our center position while reducing our inventory of power forwards," Mark Warkentien, Denver's vice president of basketball operations, told The Associated Press. "Reggie played a valuable role for us during his time in Denver and we appreciate his professionalism."

The Nuggets also are getting themselves a backup for veteran center Marcus Camby by tapping into their depth at power forward, believing that Evans would have struggled for minutes with Kenyon Martin expected to make his comeback from a second microfracture knee surgery and with Nene Hilario and George Karl favorite Eduardo Najera also ahead of him at the position.

"Steven is an athletic, 7-foot big man, a Mile High runner that can block shots," Warkentien told AP. "We think his presence will provide us with a more balanced roster. Bobby is an intriguing young player, who really played well at the end of the season."

In Evans, Philadelphia lands one of the league's foremost per-minute rebounders. Evans offset his offensive limitations by averaging 7.0 boards in 17.1 minutes per game for the Nuggets last season and has a career average of 7.2 rebounds in just 19.9 minutes.

"He is an accomplished rebounder that we feel will make an immediate impact and will exemplify our commitment to hard work, rebounding and defense," 76ers general manager Billy King told AP.

Sanchez's rights were acquired by the Nuggets along with the draft rights to Linas Kleiza in exchange for the draft rights to Jarrett Jack in a draft-day deal in 2005.

"At 6-11, Ricky Sanchez is a young prospect that has potential and we will continue to monitor his development as he plays overseas," King told AP.

The Sixers weren't finished, agreeing to terms with free agent Calvin Booth. The 6-foot-11 center played in 44 games with Washington last season, averaging 1.6 points and 1.8 rebounds. Booth has a career average of 3.5 points and 2.9 rebounds in eight seasons.

If there's a risk for the 76ers, it's the foot injury suffered by starting center Samuel Dalembert while playing for Canada in the recent pre-Olympic qualifying tournament in Las Vegas. Yet King said last week that the club expects Dalembert to be ready for the start of training camp Oct. 2 in Durham, N.C. Dalembert started all 82 games last season.

Hunter has been available via trade for well over a year, after the Sixers nearly dealt him to New Orleans in February 2006. The trade with the Hornets, halfway through Hunter's first season in Philadelphia, would have sent two second-round picks to Philadelphia but was rescinded by the Hornets because of unspecified health concerns. The 7-footer averaged 6.4 points and 4.8 minutes for the Sixers last season, playing 70 games and averaging 22.9 minutes.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

not a bad move for philly, evans is a beast on the glass

The Wrist

Post by The Wrist »

the matrix has asked to be traded

arg

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

The Wrist wrote:the matrix has asked to be traded

arg
Marion: It's time for me to move on
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id ... type=story
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
ESPN.com news services

With trade rumors swirling around him, Suns forward Shawn Marion apparently has had enough and wants out of Phoenix.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion told the Arizona Republic by telephone Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion has been mentioned in trade scenarios involving the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers.

Marion told Sportingnews.com by telephone that he would welcome a trade to the Lakers to play with his good friend Kobe Bryant.

"You have a great organization, great ownership there with the Lakers. I don't see no problems with playing there," he told the Web site.

Marion, who is the highest-paid player on the Suns with two years remaining on his contract, wouldn't confirm to the newspaper that he has requested a three-year, $60 million extension.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion told the newspaper. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the [Kevin] Garnett stuff."

Marion reportedly killed a three-team deal that would have sent him to Boston with an extension, Garnett to Phoenix and picks going to Minnesota.

"I haven't done anything wrong," Marion told the newspaper. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion told the newspaper that if he isn't traded he'll report to the Suns' training camp, but only when he's required to. Monday is the mandatory reporting date for Suns players. Phoenix has voluntary workouts scheduled this week.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion told the newspaper. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

Liger Woods

Post by Liger Woods »

hessbz12 wrote:

arg
ESPN.com news services

With trade rumors swirling around him, Suns forward Shawn Marion apparently has had enough and wants out of Phoenix.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion told the Arizona Republic by telephone Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion has been mentioned in trade scenarios involving the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers.

Marion told Sportingnews.com by telephone that he would welcome a trade to the Lakers to play with his good friend Kobe Bryant.

"You have a great organization, great ownership there with the Lakers. I don't see no problems with playing there," he told the Web site.

Marion, who is the highest-paid player on the Suns with two years remaining on his contract, wouldn't confirm to the newspaper that he has requested a three-year, $60 million extension.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion told the newspaper. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the [Kevin] Garnett stuff."

Marion reportedly killed a three-team deal that would have sent him to Boston with an extension, Garnett to Phoenix and picks going to Minnesota.

"I haven't done anything wrong," Marion told the newspaper. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion told the newspaper that if he isn't traded he'll report to the Suns' training camp, but only when he's required to. Monday is the mandatory reporting date for Suns players. Phoenix has voluntary workouts scheduled this week.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion told the newspaper. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."
he's got a right to feel that way. they treat him like trade bait and all he does is play ball and doesn't cause any locker room ruckus and no public problems. i have no idea how a laker trade would work.

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Liger Woods wrote:
hessbz12 wrote:

arg
ESPN.com news services

he's got a right to feel that way. they treat him like trade bait and all he does is play ball and doesn't cause any locker room ruckus and no public problems. i have no idea how a laker trade would work.
:larry: he's been whining about not being the center of attention for years, even though I agree with him that his contributions are neglected to a certain extent (although making two straight all-stars in the pf-happy West is just-recognition).

Bottom line, I would deal Antawn Jamison and his enormous expiring deal to bring the Matrix to DC. The fit is so perfect that no homo I am getting hard.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Liger Woods wrote:
hessbz12 wrote:

arg
ESPN.com news services

very true. I fell bad for him. He is one of my favorite players in the NBA

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:he's been whining about not being the center of attention for years

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Shawn Marion gets on my nerves. It's always about him. Not the type of guy you want on your team especially when you're trying to win championship.

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:he's been whining about not being the center of attention for years, even though I agree with him that his contributions are neglected to a certain extent (although making two straight all-stars in the pf-happy West is just-recognition).
not to mention being the highest paid player on the team as well as leading the team in minutes played (all while being a third, maybe even fourth option on offense and having every one of his baskets basically handed to him). i dont see how much more recognition he could possibly be looking for, especially if the trade to LA goes down.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

omg, the nba is fucking going to be so weird, i'm going to have to realllly study for the nba draft.

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

the news didn't come as any shock to me. pisses me off. we are so close to a championship right now and getting rid of one of the most important parts of the team isn't going to get us past san antonio. who is going to replace him? whoever we get for him isn't going to be nearly as good. if the best thing we can get is ak47 i'm probably going to stab myself in the chest.

injury prone, cries on tv, looks like a peacock, i'll pass.
SHAWN MARION>>>>>Image

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

LOL
Lakers' Brown faces misdemeanor charges in Georgia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

VALDOSTA, Ga. -- Los Angeles Lakers center Kwame Brown faces misdemeanor charges in south Georgia following a weekend incident in which his cousin was charged with DUI, authorities said.

Police pulled over Charles Warren Jr. early Saturday for driving the wrong way down a one-way street in downtown Valdosta and began questioning him about the strong smell of alcohol in his vehicle, Valdosta police Lt. Bobbi McGraw said. Brown approached the officers and told them he was Warren's cousin and the vehicle belonged to the basketball player, McGraw said.

Brown became disruptive and tried to interfere with the officers' investigation, which led to his arrest, McGraw said. Brown was charged with disorderly conduct and interfering with an officer after his cousin arrested for investigation of driving under the influence, McGraw said.

Brown, 25, was released shortly after his arrest. Jail officials had no record of how much he paid in bond. He likely will appear in court within two months, McGraw said.

Lakers officials told the Los Angeles Times they were aware of the charges but declined to comment further.

The Lakers are at training camp in Honolulu. They open the season Oct. 30 against the Houston Rockets

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

Bulls' Gordon Wants $70M Extension
October 7, 2007 - 4:53 pm
New York Daily News -
Ben Gordon wants a $70 million extension from the Bulls, who are looking to give Gordon no more than Kirk Hinrich money ($47.5 million) the New York Daily News reported Sunday.

It is also believed that Chicago wants to extend Luol Deng first, a player they regard more highly than Gordon at this point in time.
ok, if he wants to act like a faggot they can trade his ass