Official European Football 2009/2010 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

more transfer fun, could this team crack the top fo?

---------------Santa Cruz
------Robinho-Tevez--Robben
-----------Ireland---Barry
----Bridge-Kompany-Dunne-Heinze
------------------Given

SUBS: Schmeichel, Ball, De Jong, Zabaleta, Petrov, Elano, Bellamy
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Yes, if they stayed healthy. But since that would never happen...

Are Real keen on selling Robben? Tevez I could see at City next year.

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

Terrible tradegy that Englands U21s got thumped by Germany...

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Those kids are German?!?!?!? :naswtf:

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Edgar Castillo: "I Want To Play For The U.S."
Edgar Castillo could take advantage of new FIFA regulations allowing players to switch national teams by joining the United States.

Edgar Castillo could join Jermaine Jones by taking advantage of a new FIFA rule allowing players of any age to switch national teams, provided they have not played any full internationals.

The New Mexico-native played in Olympic qualifying for Mexico, which, as an under-23 tournament, would not count against him.

"I would play for the United States," Castillo told USSoccerPlayers.com. "Iג€™d want to talk to them first, but I want to play for the U.S. I think it would be a very good opportunity for me, for my career. If they call me I would play for them."

The left back played through high school in Las Cruces, N.M. Once he graduated, he moved to his parents' native Mexico and signed for Santos, forcing himself into the starting lineup in a 2008 Clausura championship run.

That's when he attracted his first Mexican national team interest under coach Hugo Sanchez, but has failed to push himself into the plans of either coach since, Sven-Goran Eriksson and current coach Javier Aguirre.

"Itג€™s been hard for me because (Mexico) switched coaches three times," said Castillo. "Hugo Sanchez, he seemed to like me. He gave me my first games. Then (Eriksson) played me in one (friendly). Aguirre called me into one camp, but I didnג€™t play and I havenג€™t been back. I donג€™t think Iג€™m in his plans."

Castillo is currently owned by Club America, but is out on loan with Tigres. If he made the switch, he'd join Jose Francisco Torres as U.S. internationals plying their trade in Mexico.

"Right now I just want to do what is best for my career and my family," Castillo said.

What is best for Castillo's career may also benifit the USA. Leftback has been a problem position for head coach Bob Bradley. Heath Pearce appeared to have it locked down before losing his club position. Chivas USA's Jonathan Bornstein hasn't impressed in his time in the role, and recently lost his spot to Carlos Bocanegra.

Still, Castillo doesn't expect to be handed a starting berth.

"They have a lot of good players," he admitted about the U.S. national team. "I donג€™t think Iג€™d come in and be handed anything. But Iג€™d like a chance to compete."

coldwatermusic

Post by coldwatermusic »

U17/U19/U21 Champions, bitches :rockout:

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

coldwatermusic wrote:U17/U19/U21 Champions, bitches :rockout:
Fuck Germany and fuck Germans :owens:

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXmXpDfWUlM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXmXpDfWUlM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

coldwatermusic

Post by coldwatermusic »

LL Cool Dude wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXmXpDfWUlM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXmXpDfWUlM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Ah, the good old days

Comedy Quaddafi

:ohsh:

how good is this Tacsi Arsenal have been linked with?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

I heard Benzema prefers a move to Arsenal (see french connection) over one to Man U. He's afraid a move away from Lyon could affect his place with the National Team, and has stated he wants a move where he will get plenty of first team playing time basically so he can use it as a platform to show out and guarantee a spot in the french starting XI.

The French side should be one of the strongest in the world, but their coach is holding them back...

coldwatermusic

Post by coldwatermusic »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
:ohsh:

how good is this Tacsi Arsenal have been linked with?
He plays for my squad (VFB Stuttgart) so I might be a bit biased but I think he's got great potential. He's pretty offensive-minded (think Dani Alves, Lucio, Lahm) which is both a gift and a curse obviously, as he's prone to have some lapses on defense from time to time. He'd fit nicely into a quick squad like Arsenal that knows how to work with young players, I think.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:more transfer fun, could this team crack the top fo?

------------------Given

No, for the simple fact you can't buy teams, only players. It'll take at least another year for a bought-together team to do well. You'll see it everywhere. This is imo the biggest problem clubs like Real Madrid face.

You see Man U. They keep their players, do no big investments, only switch up one or two players and they are one of the best teams in Europe at that particular time.

Barcelona too, to a lesser extent. We'll see how they hold up this year.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Also: do any of you play football yourself, either indoor or field? I used to play at moderate level here in Holland, had to stop at age 19 (nearly 21 now) because of injuries. Haven't played 2 full years now, probably never gonna play competetively again.

Here's some footage of a tournament me and some boys dominated a couple weeks ago. My team is the team in white with the horizontal red stripe. I play with number 2. My team starts to play at 1:00 in and I cap our first goal at 1:10, second one at 1:50. Despite how amateurish it might look (plus the gay music), there were some very skilled players.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysl_EqZrEQQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysl_EqZrEQQ&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comedy Quaddafi

Yohan wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:more transfer fun, could this team crack the top fo?

------------------Given

No, for the simple fact you can't buy teams, only players. It'll take at least another year for a bought-together team to do well. You'll see it everywhere. This is imo the biggest problem clubs like Real Madrid face.

You see Man U. They keep their players, do no big investments, only switch up one or two players and they are one of the best teams in Europe at that particular time.

Barcelona too, to a lesser extent. We'll see how they hold up this year.
I'm inclined to agree. Chelsea did not need that much time however. If they [Citeh] had gotten someone like Guus instead of Mark Hughes you'd never know. I think they might cause a minor upset, but lose out due to consistency and dropping points when the "stars" don't bother.

I played from 12-16. I was a centreback of the Senderos mould, kinda slow and prone to blunders, but extremely resilient and not afraid to put my feet in. I got a lot of cards considering it was youth-ball. Once scored while making a long pass from the midfield, put too much power in it and caught the keeper offguard. My finest hour!

Indoor is very ghey for a player like me who isn't all that technical. I was deployed as a targetman, but so was the coachs' son which meant I was left behind completely. Quit shortly after.
- MB

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

^^^indoor soccer is too gay for words

i really hope benzema doesnt go to man u...i hate to see them snatch up players i love (see berba and tevez).
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Comedy Quaddafi

I have a feeling Benzy is staying. We certainly won't get him no matter how much he prefers us (it has to be mentioned that those quotes are over a year old FYI).

I was pissed when they got Anderson and Nani who I really liked, today I wouldn't really take either of them. Nani is a hack with a terrible attitude and Anderson is a slight upgrade form Denilson. How I would love for us to have a man like Fletcher to do the dirty work.
- MB

mud

Post by mud »

Lyon accept bid from Real for Benzema...

E35m.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

mud wrote:Lyon accept bid from Real for Benzema...

E35m.
geez... maybe they'll let Huntelaar go now for cheap, Wenger should move fast now for the gunners

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

:naswtf: @ benzema deal
where the hell are real getting this money?
this is fuckin crazy..i mean kaka and ronaldo were crazy, but adding 30 mil to it is....wtf

so what happens to ruud, raul, higuain, robben, van der vaart, and huntelaar? who stays who goes and for how much?
this is shit is really weird

anyone think pellegrini has the least say in any of this?

the albiol signing was smart tho, imo.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Boris.

Post by Boris. »

lol, now how about some defense :)
If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Req

Post by Req »

do the players yapping to get to Real realize they can only field about 5-6 attacking options at any one time?
F.U. MOOLAH

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Req wrote:do the players yapping to get to Real realize they can only field about 5-6 attacking options at any one time?
seriously, there is only one ball...

elohim

Post by elohim »

Req wrote:do the players yapping to get to Real realize they can only field about 5-6 attacking options at any one time?
didn't you hear? madrid's gonna field a 1-5-6 formation next season.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Blimey - Michael Owen to Man U?

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

I don't know where I should post this so I'm gonna throw it in here. Good shit-talking is in bold:
Donovan launches book blast at Beckham

David Beckham has come under attack from L.A. Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan just as he prepares to return for action with the MLS team.
Donovan turned down his own chance to stay in Europe (GettyImages)

In a new book due out later this month, Donovan claims Beckham has demonstrated little commitment to the Galaxy cause and has been a negative influence on the team since the ousting of former coach Ruud Gullit.

"All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl.

"As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field.

"Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the Galaxy's captain in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham's first two seasons in MLS were largely a miserable experience. An unbalanced Galaxy team struggled all year and missed out on the play-offs, with Gullit quitting before the end of the campaign.

Gullit's departure, is the moment Donovan believes the light went out for the club's marquee player.

"When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing," Donovan said. "He cared. He wanted to do well. He wanted the team and the league to do well.

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'."

Donovan even claimed Beckham is a bad team-mate, because of his lack of commitment.

"He's not shown (he's a good team-mate)," he said. "I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care. But with (Beckham), I'd say no, he wasn't committed."

Beckham pushed for a loan move to AC Milan in January, and then extended it to the point that he missed half of the 2009 MLS season. That served as evidence that he does not care for the league, according to Donovan, who gave up his chance to play in Europe early in his career in order to stay at home.

"My sense is that David's clearly frustrated, that he's unhappy and, honestly, that he thinks it's a joke," he said. "I also kind of feel (he has taken the team) for granted. I don't see dedication or commitment to this team, and that's troubling."

Beckham is due to make his return for the Galaxy against the New York Red Bulls on July 16, two days after Wahl's book is due to be published.

He will line up alongside Donovan in that game, but the striker does not want that to be the case for much longer.

"Let's say he does stay here for three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f****** miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ls&cc=5901

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Blimey - Michael Owen to Man U?
I always thought the way Man U play would suit Owen. He may be on the bench most weeks but this move will give Owen some much needed confidence, plus its a free signing for Man U so its good business all round.

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

Money Gripp wrote:I don't know where I should post this so I'm gonna throw it in here. Good shit-talking is in bold:
Donovan launches book blast at Beckham

David Beckham has come under attack from L.A. Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan just as he prepares to return for action with the MLS team.
Donovan turned down his own chance to stay in Europe (GettyImages)

In a new book due out later this month, Donovan claims Beckham has demonstrated little commitment to the Galaxy cause and has been a negative influence on the team since the ousting of former coach Ruud Gullit.

"All that we care about at a minimum is that he committed himself to us," Donovan says in 'The Beckham Experiment', authored by Sports Illustrated writer Grant Wahl.

"As time has gone on, that has not proven to be the case in many ways - on the field, off the field.

"Does the fact that he earns that much more money come into it? Yeah. If someone's paying you more than anybody in the league, more than double anybody in the league, the least we expect is that you show up to every game, whether you are suspended or not. Show up and train hard, show up and play hard."

Donovan, who is the Galaxy's captain in Beckham's absence, also questioned the former England skipper's leadership abilities, claiming he is too often silent in team meetings.

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain," he said. "Fair enough. But at a minimum, you should bust your ass every day. That hasn't happened. And I don't think that's too much for us to expect. Especially when he's brought all this on us."

Beckham's first two seasons in MLS were largely a miserable experience. An unbalanced Galaxy team struggled all year and missed out on the play-offs, with Gullit quitting before the end of the campaign.

Gullit's departure, is the moment Donovan believes the light went out for the club's marquee player.

"When David first came, I believed he was committed to what he was doing," Donovan said. "He cared. He wanted to do well. He wanted the team and the league to do well.

"Somewhere along the way - and in my mind it coincides with Ruud being let go - he just flipped a switch and said, 'Uh-huh, I'm not doing it anymore'."

Donovan even claimed Beckham is a bad team-mate, because of his lack of commitment.

"He's not shown (he's a good team-mate)," he said. "I can't think of another guy where I'd say he wasn't a good team-mate, he didn't give everything through all this, he didn't still care. But with (Beckham), I'd say no, he wasn't committed."

Beckham pushed for a loan move to AC Milan in January, and then extended it to the point that he missed half of the 2009 MLS season. That served as evidence that he does not care for the league, according to Donovan, who gave up his chance to play in Europe early in his career in order to stay at home.

"My sense is that David's clearly frustrated, that he's unhappy and, honestly, that he thinks it's a joke," he said. "I also kind of feel (he has taken the team) for granted. I don't see dedication or commitment to this team, and that's troubling."

Beckham is due to make his return for the Galaxy against the New York Red Bulls on July 16, two days after Wahl's book is due to be published.

He will line up alongside Donovan in that game, but the striker does not want that to be the case for much longer.

"Let's say he does stay here for three more years," Donovan said. "I'm not going to spend the next three years of my life doing it this way. This is f****** miserable. I don't want to have soccer be this way."
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ls&cc=5901
fucking bitch.

Req

Post by Req »

Tevez and Ronaldo for Owen and Valencia?

erm
F.U. MOOLAH

Harco

Post by Harco »

Hopefully Milan wil sign a worthy striker. I read they just did a bid on Luis Fabiano. Second on their list is Huntelaar. Not really my kind of player. Always hated him when he still played in my home country actually.