Wimbledon 2009

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

everytime roddick has had his back against the wall on his serve he has found a way. but its gettnig closer and closer to him dropping a game on his serve unless he flips the script

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

Unlucky Stifler but congrats to Fed...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

43 aces? That's unheard of.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

What a way to win it, Roddick played great, but it just wasn't good enough.

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

fuck roger federer a gazillion times
congrats to teh tennisbot
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

1. Roddick's 2 handed backhand was on fucking point today.

2. Feds had crazy unforced errors. Unlike him.

3. Haven't seen Feds serve like that EVER.

The GOAT

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

VideoKilledThe wrote:What a way to win it, Roddick played great, but it just wasn't good enough.
I think it was more than good enough, it just so happened that the one time Fed broke his serve, it was for the championship

that was the best Roddick has ever played

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Andvil wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:What a way to win it, Roddick played great, but it just wasn't good enough.
I think it was more than good enough, it just so happened that the one time Fed broke his serve, it was for the championship

that was the best Roddick has ever played
I agree. Wrong choose of words to describe Roddick today. It just so happens he was playing the GOAT.

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

Rod Laver is the GOAT

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

LL Cool Dude wrote:Rod Laver is the GOAT
:larry: :naswtf: :owens: :arrow: :pause: :retard: :ghey: :sebass:

i hate federer but this statement is fuckin absurd
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

How so...?

Lavers record is incredible and if he didn't turn professional he would have the record number of championships.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

This is the best I've ever seen Roddick play, but if you're gonna beat Feds you can't lose that second set. It was choke city. If you're playing the GOAT you're gonna have to step your game up, and he did, and bravo to him, but it wasn't good enough.

Where is your competitive fire?

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

Federer will be regarded by everyone to be the best of all time. espeically in an era in which there are several competitors who are destined for the hall of fame accolades as well. dude is just incredible. he always stays calm and finds a way even when he is down. great win

mud

Post by mud »

LL Cool Dude wrote:How so...?

Lavers record is incredible and if he didn't turn professional he would have the record number of championships.
Were the tournaments the pros were in not more coveted during this time?
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

mud wrote:
LL Cool Dude wrote:How so...?

Were the tournaments the pros were in not more coveted during this time?
Probably, you had guys like Rosewall and Gonzales playing in it also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Laver#Career

Good stuff in there

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

5 ft 8 in tall + played in the 60's = you ain't the GOAT old man

As for the match, I thought Roddick outplayed him. Fed's serve kept him in this. That 6-2 collapse in the 2nd set killed Roddick. Winning today when he wasn't playing his best while Roddick played out of his mind is why Federer is the GOAT.

LL Cool Dude

Post by LL Cool Dude »

oracle21 wrote:Federer will be regarded by everyone to be the best of all time. espeically in an era in which there are several competitors who are destined for the hall of fame accolades as well. dude is just incredible. he always stays calm and finds a way even when he is down. great win
hall of fame??

apart from Nadal who are the other 'hall of fame' contenders??

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

LL Cool Dude wrote:
oracle21 wrote:Federer will be regarded by everyone to be the best of all time. espeically in an era in which there are several competitors who are destined for the hall of fame accolades as well. dude is just incredible. he always stays calm and finds a way even when he is down. great win
hall of fame??

apart from Nadal who are the other 'hall of fame' contenders??
I would like to know the same thing.
I am not ready to crown Federer the best just yet. Most complete. Yes. Most talented. Yes. However, lets see what happens between him and Nadal in the coming years. When he plays Nadal, Nadal is usually the better player of the two. I cant say someone is the best ever when another players takes it to them. Rod Laver isnt the best ever. Rod Laver and Steffan Edberg were the same player. I think Sampras is the better player on grass. Federer definitely has the edge on clay, and they are close to equal on hard courts. I think if they played 10 times they spilt, 5-5.

Federer had a great serving game today, maybe best ive ever seen him serve. Roddick conserved alot of energy today by not even attempting to try to go after many of Federers serve. Whereas, Federer made an attempt every time to force a return of Roddicks serve. I think if Roddick served first in the 5th he would have won the match.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

How Federer does with Nadal from here on out? Federer is going to trend downward from here on out. This is the time in a tennis player's career that they go down hill, not plateau. We've pretty much seen the best of Feds.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:How Federer does with Nadal from here on out? Federer is going to trend downward from here on out. This is the time in a tennis player's career that they go down hill, not plateau. We've pretty much seen the best of Feds.
I was thinking Nadal might be the one to go down. I still see Federer winning 4-5 more slams.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Trub320 wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:How Federer does with Nadal from here on out? Federer is going to trend downward from here on out. This is the time in a tennis player's career that they go down hill, not plateau. We've pretty much seen the best of Feds.
I was thinking Nadal might be the one to go down. I still see Federer winning 4-5 more slams.
Nadal is going to win a couple more slams. I agree with your assessment of Feds winning 4-5 more. But they won't be as consistently. It'll take him at least a couple years to win 5, I think. we've already seen the best of Feds. Men's tennis is going to suck when Nadal and Feds are done.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

I am not ready to crown Federer the best just yet. Most complete. Yes. Most talented. Yes. However, lets see what happens between him and Nadal in the coming years. When he plays Nadal, Nadal is usually the better player of the two. I cant say someone is the best ever when another players takes it to them. Rod Laver isnt the best ever. Rod Laver and Steffan Edberg were the same player. I think Sampras is the better player on grass. Federer definitely has the edge on clay, and they are close to equal on hard courts. I think if they played 10 times they spilt, 5-5.
Nadal is only better when they play on Clay, otherwise its even, but how the fuck can you hold that against Federer, only Borg would have a record around .500 on clay vs Nadal, and Federer certainly would outperform Sampras(but Sampras would be busy losing to scrubs that Federer consistently beats)

its weird but Federer is a great clay court player but frequently his clay court results are used against him

he has more slams than Sampras, the career Slam, 21 straight semi's

I think Federer is only going to win 1-3 more, Murray has done well vs him on hard courts which will make winning another AO or US, the French will be unlikely, so that leaves Wimbledon which I doubt he wins more than 2more of

coldwatermusic

Post by coldwatermusic »

Philaflava wrote:43 aces? That's unheard of.
Karlovic had 55 in his 5th set loss against Hewitt during the French.

As for Laver vs. Fed: Apples and oranges. Let's just call Roger the GOAT of the Open Era. Anyone still putting Pete above Federer is a fanboy, simple and plain.

I felt terrible for Roddick, he'd have around 3-5 slams if it wasn't for Federer. Tactically he played the best tournament of his career and still came up short.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

^step your sig game up coldwater.

I feel awful for Roddick. He hasn't really sniffed his second major for so long and he plays the best he's probably ever played and still loses to Fed. Major props to Roddick, that new training program he's on has definitely proven effective. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in the U.S. Open.

As for how many more majors Federer can win I'd say 2-3 seems reasonable, but 5 is too many. It suppose it really depends on what happens with Nadal. If he keeps having knee issues (with the way he plays why wouldn't he?) Federer will win several more.

It will be interesting to see how Murray's game develops over time as well.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]