Why I hate Duke Basketball

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Big Breeze wrote:If Duke wins the the whole thing this year, is anybody going to think they are the best team? Hell no. The ACC wasn't that strong this year. The best teams throughout the year didn't play well down the stretch in the tournament and Duke lucked out and didn't have a difficult road to the Final Four. It was universally accepted that they had the easiest path to get where they are.

This years Final Four has some wack matchups. Butler is a good story and all, but it would have been cooler if they lost in the Elite 8 and Kansas State was here instead. Kansas should have made it out of the bracket where Michigan State won also. Tom Izzo's squads are full of dudes nobody has heard of, but they play hard. I just prefer not to watch them because they play ugly basketball.

If West Virginia doesn't win against Duke tomorrow night, Coach Kdlkfjdslkdsky might win a chip with one of his least respected squads ever. He's had better teams that didn't win shit. This team is more lucky than great. Fuck making excuses, I'm just callin it like I see it.

That's fine, and all the other hate is pretty warranted to, but I like watching Duke basketball I like Coach Klasdfklsadlkfd and they play in one of the most hyped arenas ever, all in all I just enjoy Duke Bball.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

meatwise

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

lmao
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

Trademark wrote:I like watching Duke basketball I like Coach Klasdfklsadlkfd and they play in one of the most hyped arenas ever, all in all I just enjoy Duke Bball.
this.

the duke hate is silly.

i saw a car yesterday with west virginia shit airbrushed all over it.

bob huggins was born in the town i currently work in and played for one of my rival high schools. lots of WV fans here.

Nuke
I Hate Blacks & Jews

Post by Nuke »

Big Breeze wrote:If Duke wins the the whole thing this year, is anybody going to think they are the best team?
Yes. They were under the radar all season but they're a great team. Granted their region wasn't that tough, but look at all the other 1, 2, and 3 seeds that lost to teams that they should have demolished. Duke's a very good team... they're experienced... they play hard... and they're well coached.

One of the reasons Coach K has a lot of white players on his team that don't perform well in the NBA is that he looks for role players that will commit to 4 years. They may not be flashy... not a lot of them are black... but that's because the high profile one-on-one players are quicker to jump to the NBA. His teams play well because they practice together for longer periods of time. And if you really analyze the careers of ex Duke players... they have longevity in the NBA but they float under the radar because they accept their role.

With that said... I don't like seeing Duke win and I really hope they get worked this weekend.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

i dont enjoy the NBA and only watch college basketball, so maybe that also kind of explains why im a duke fan.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

malpractice wrote:
Trademark wrote:I like watching Duke basketball I like Coach Klasdfklsadlkfd and they play in one of the most hyped arenas ever, all in all I just enjoy Duke Bball.
this.

the duke hate is silly.

i saw a car yesterday with west virginia shit airbrushed all over it.

bob huggins was born in the town i currently work in and played for one of my rival high schools. lots of WV fans here.
you work in morgantown?

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

oh. was he born in morgantown?
i just know there's a sign in port washington (OH) about "birthplace of bob huggins". maybe it doesnt actually say "birthplace". bob huggins somethin or other. i dunno.

obviously i have no local allegiance because i hate ohio state and am rooting for duke.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

duke isn't even that great this year, but they play well enough together. they are going to destroy butler....

you will be happy to know , big breaze, that duke does recruit black guys...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/basketball ... ments/2010

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Nuke wrote:
Big Breeze wrote:If Duke wins the the whole thing this year, is anybody going to think they are the best team?
Yes. They were under the radar all season but they're a great team. Granted their region wasn't that tough, but look at all the other 1, 2, and 3 seeds that lost to teams that they should have demolished. Duke's a very good team... they're experienced... they play hard... and they're well coached.

One of the reasons Coach K has a lot of white players on his team that don't perform well in the NBA is that he looks for role players that will commit to 4 years. They may not be flashy... not a lot of them are black... but that's because the high profile one-on-one players are quicker to jump to the NBA. His teams play well because they practice together for longer periods of time. And if you really analyze the careers of ex Duke players... they have longevity in the NBA but they float under the radar because they accept their role.
this is the most ridiculous thread ever.
Nuke is the only person that was able to comment on the nature of Duke basketball with any semblance of rational thought.
seriously, you hate a team because the program is focused on "student-athletes" who intend to graduate with a degree from duke?
shame on Duke for keeping college a part of college basketball. They should just be like every other school and think only of recruiting the choicest athletes in hopes of a solid recruiting year producing a championship for the university that means more $$ to that university, then fuck if those kids stay for four years and get a degree, they'll be millionaires in a year in the NBA... win win right?

Hate Duke because they get favored in calls.
Hate Duke because you hate teams like The Yankees, Cowboys etc.
Hate Duke because you're a north carolina fan.

But don't hate Duke because the program recruits players that intend to graduate college in four years. You play with the same dudes for four years and your senior year, you'll have your best chances in the tournament... hence the national championship game.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Nl5H wrote:duke isn't even that great this year, but they play well enough together. they are going to destroy butler....

you will be happy to know , big breaze, that duke does recruit black guys...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/basketball ... ments/2010
I am aware of their recruiting class. I love following high school sports just as much as I like following college and pro level teams. I saw Kyrie Irving play with his high school team earlier in the year and I saw him at the Mickey D's game recently.

I follow high school sports because I went to a high school that Sports Illustrated named as the best high school in the nation for athletics. My school has put out more NFL players than any school in the country and we have put out hall-of-famers in other sports as well. I went to Long Beach Poly and many people who I went to school with went on to have pro careers while we there together.

I'm glad that Nish can see that as a true Duke fan, he realizes that this isn't the best Duke team that has came through in recent years. They have survived and have kept advancing and it is hard to fault them for that.

Duke has a deep history of success and because of all the other teams before them have accomplished is the reason why opposing student sections and fans nationwide love hating Duke. The fact that they run with lineups that have 3 or sometimes 4 white dudes in the lineup doesn't help much either. It is what it is and even white dudes make comments like, "Damn, Duke has a lot of whiteboys on the court". I'm not the only that feels this way and it is the elephant in the room whenever Duke is playing.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Fuck Duke graduate Seth Davis in the CBS studio too.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

This Thread :copy: