Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Brazil needs to tighten up. I wasn't impressed by their performance.

Can anyone give an explanation as to why Ronaldinho wasn't chosen for the roster?

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Escobar305 wrote:Brazil needs to tighten up. I wasn't impressed by their performance.
While it wasn't a vintage Brazil performance as most are accustomed to, I would say that this is extremely difficult for any team to play against an opponent that is both packing it in and very organized. Despite that they put in a workmanlike effort and got the win. For those not accustomed to this version of Brazil I think you got your first taste of what to expect: a team that is strong in defense that kind of lulls the opponent into a false sense of security before pouncing on them when the opposition begins to push forward. I think we'll see a lot of Brazilian games that follow the pattern of slow first half giving way to a more open and exciting second. The style of play which Dunga champions seems to lend itself to that type of game.
Can anyone give an explanation as to why Ronaldinho wasn't chosen for the roster?
A lot of people claimed that Dinho's absence was a sign of an aversion on the part of Dunga to "beautiful football", but I think it was more a situation where Dunga preferred players who were there for him in qualifying and tournaments and Dinho has been mostly absent. I would have liked him to be in the team, because I think he's a good back-up plan if Kaka continues his run of bad play, but I understand that Dunga prefers "his" players and his results speak for themselves.

elohim

Post by elohim »

Yohan wrote:Did you see that Korean player cry during the anthem? Incredible.
:lol: That was the player I warned Req about on pg. 12.

http://sport.stv.tv/fifa-world-cup/coun ... cult-hero/
Jong Tae-Se: World Cup 2010's cult hero
North Korea's tearful talent is the first character to introduce himself at this World Cup.

Not since Gazzaג€™s blubbing at Italia 90 have World Cup tears captured global attention. The England star was overcome when he realised his own actions would cost him a possible place in the final. On Tuesday night, Jong Tae-Se couldnג€™t handle the emotion of representing his country in the finals. Until the match kicked off, that is.

While most of us were still questioning whether we had actually seen the North Korea striker crying through his national anthem when he exploded into the game and showed that sometimes insular nations have secrets they really should share. If the pre-match performance evoked memories of Gazza, Jongג€™s display on-field dredged up memories of Michael Owen.

Sadly, there was no goal to cap his blistering performance but the young forward used the World Cup stage in the best possible way, announcing his talent to a global audience. Part of a team who doggedly hung in against overwhelming favourites, Jong was the great attacking hope and his willingness to make Brazilג€™s defence remember they arenג€™t just auxiliary attackers was an inspiration to his team-mates.

Cult heroes arenג€™t born from their goalscoring exploits, or from consistently brilliant performances. That status comes from something else. Cold-hearted commentators will argue that Maicon, Robinho and Elano were more accomplished and had more influence on the result but thatג€™s not the point. Jong brought the belief that the remarkable could happen and it is that belief that makes any game worth watching.

He didnג€™t even get the goal that made North Koreaג€™s narrow defeat seem almost like a victory. Those tears were a message early on that this match mattered though, and his determined performance kept hope alive for 90 minutes.

In a game where supporting the underdog is the default position for many, North Koreaג€™s only support pre-tournament was as everyoneג€™s joke team. Nobody has any love for the rogue state but funny tales about the ג€œpositive coverage onlyג€ highlights on state TV and footage of the team training in public gyms made them the ג€œEddie the Eagleג€ of World Cup 2010. The match against Brazil, and Jongג€™s introduction, reminded us that in the sporting arena, all dreams are equal.

Tonightג€™s commentators told us that the World Cup only starts when Brazil start playing. That is usually because they deliver the unmissable, the unexpected, the joyous. Tonight, they took a back seat to North Korea and their 26-year-old newcomer.

Like every cult hero, Jong Tae-Se is a little bit different. The man who canג€™t hear his national anthem without being overcome wasnג€™t even born in the country. He is what is called ג€œzainichiג€, an ethnic Korean who lives in Japan. Born in Nagoya to a South Korean father and North Korean mother, he was brought up in a North Korean enclave in the Japanese city and had a North Korean education and upbringing.

After playing as a youth for Kawasaki University, he was snapped up by J-League club Kawasaki Frontale where he has now racked up almost a goal every two games. Needless to say, that scoring record saw him touted for an international call-up, for three different nations. South Korea, Japan and North Korea all said they wanted to cap him and he opted for the land of his motherג€™s birth. And so it came to pass that a hip-hop loving, Hummer driving, snowboarding J-League star set aside all the traditional accoutrements of modern football to join up with North Korea.

The star still takes his iPod, Nintendo and flash clothes with him when he travels for away games with the national side, though never into North Korea for home matches. But rather than turning the heads of his less well-off comrades, he is the one who has had his eyes opened. He admits to being impressed by their indifference to material gains and their commitment to their side.

Tuesdayג€™s display showed he has taken that passion onboard to an almost unbelievable degree and his efforts drew many a neutral over to the North Korea side against Brazil. If he fulfils his promise to score in the finals his story will have the kind of feel-good ending that attracts movie scriptwriters. Sad thing is, if his journey does get the Hollywood treatment, it will never be seen in the country that moves him to tears.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Not a great day yesterday.

New Zealand stealing a tie was cool to see. Gotta feel good for them.

Neither Portugal or Ivory Coast wanted to risk too much, but the Ivory Coast looked like they could be the better team which was surprising. Good to see Drogba back.

I was surprised at how good North Korea was. Brazil didn't play particularly well, but their goals were gorgeous. The first one was incredible. Brazil isn't winning this tourney, they're favored by reputation alone.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

jamrage wrote:Not a great day yesterday.

Assholes cost me money. I had a 1-0 Slowakia win so I was furious after the 93 minute goal.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Yohan wrote:
jamrage wrote:Not a great day yesterday.

Assholes cost me money. I had a 1-0 Slowakia win so I was furious after the 93 minute goal.
Oh man.

Sorry buddy that must have been devastating.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Spain fuckin up in the WC as usual.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Holy Fuck Switzerland!!

Federer > Nadal

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Best game of the tournament so far

PEACE

LAZTEC

Post by LAZTEC »

spain = bitch made chokin ass faggots

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

jamrage wrote:Brazil isn't winning this tourney, they're favored by reputation alone.
:roll:

Well, and the fact that they've won pretty much everything they've been entered in since Dunga took over. Still butthurt over the Confederations Cup are we?

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

peanut butter wrote:Best game of the tournament so far
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

blessedbybuddha

Post by blessedbybuddha »

Major FAIL for SPAIN. They seem to have the talent but not the heart.
Switzerland went hard.

Anyone got a clip of BASTOS doing work on the left side? He beat 3 players on that action.
<object width="240" height="193"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxIuLOhNNLE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxIuLOhNNLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="240" height="193"></embed></object>

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

spain playing with busquets instead fabregas is not good at all, fuck em.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Swiss killed it! Even though most of the game was in their zone, they kept their composure and waited for the right opportunity. Possibly the best game of the Cup so far.

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

Derdiyok is very talented player, i expect to see more from his play.
Really great game it was. He should also played with Villa-Llorente at the start. Villa alone couldnt do nothing.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Uruguay's anthem sounds like it could be used in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

:rofl:

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

suspicious penalty whistled for uaregay.
suarez is so selfish, its so iritating, i will not watch their games anymore.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Positive A wrote:Uruguay's anthem sounds like it could be used in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

:lol:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Stoned Starks wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:Brazil needs to tighten up. I wasn't impressed by their performance.
While it wasn't a vintage Brazil performance as most are accustomed to, I would say that this is extremely difficult for any team to play against an opponent that is both packing it in and very organized. Despite that they put in a workmanlike effort and got the win. For those not accustomed to this version of Brazil I think you got your first taste of what to expect: a team that is strong in defense that kind of lulls the opponent into a false sense of security before pouncing on them when the opposition begins to push forward. I think we'll see a lot of Brazilian games that follow the pattern of slow first half giving way to a more open and exciting second. The style of play which Dunga champions seems to lend itself to that type of game.

I understand its a different type of game for Brazil, but in general they just played sloppy. Hopefully they get it together. Ivory Coast >>>>>>>> North Korea.

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

Espanlol
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Markshot wrote:spain playing with busquets instead fabregas is not good at all, fuck em.
Spain coach doesn't like fabregas much, barely played him in euro08 even though he was great when out there

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

eternalreflection wrote:
Markshot wrote:spain playing with busquets instead fabregas is not good at all, fuck em.
Spain coach doesn't like fabregas much, barely played him in euro08 even though he was great when out there
The problem is he is not as good a playmaker as Xavi, not as good at taking players on as Iniesta, not as good a holding mid as Xabi, and not as good a defensive mid as Busquets, so what do you do with him? His not seeing the field at all, seemingly being the 4th guy off the bench, is bullshit.

His NOT playing at Barca hinders his playing time because with so many Barca guys also playing for the Spain national team the question of how they fit together, who fills what role, has already been answered at the club level.

The game changed for Spain when they brought on Torres, but it doesn't look like he has 90 minutes in him yet.

Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Swiss played their tactics perfectly, it was def the best game so far. Chile also looked good. They only scored one but I love the way they are so attacking. Spain vs Chile should be really great to watch, especially as winning the group and avoiding Brazil may well be at stake.

Its been a poor first week (least goals ever I think) but its heating up.

elohim

Post by elohim »

Escobar305 wrote:Can anyone give an explanation as to why Ronaldinho wasn't chosen for the roster?
VideoKilledThe wrote:My problem with Dinho is he gives absolutely zero coverage for the midfielder/fullback on his side, he doesn't track back, and while that might not have been a problem at his peak when he was playing in a "free" playmaker position but that spot has been given to Kaka. To say he gutted Man U and Real is crazy overstating how well he played. His vision for the game is unparalleled, but he is still fat and is mostly tricks, flicks, and freekicks now. He picked a good pass to make the return tie in Manchester interesting, but he was lucky to have scored off a deflection. The player doing the gutting on that day was Wayne Rooney.
That was the argument back on pg. 1, which I forgot to respond to. I guess I just feel like a homer having watched all of Dinho's games in the lead up to the WC. It's a fair enough criticism, but I think Brazil's football would be much more entertaining if he was on the bench as a super sub to inject some life into that team. I'm not at all convinced Kak

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Stoned Starks wrote:
jamrage wrote:Brazil isn't winning this tourney, they're favored by reputation alone.
:roll:

Well, and the fact that they've won pretty much everything they've been entered in since Dunga took over. Still butthurt over the Confederations Cup are we?
LOL. Like I give a fuck about a Confederations Cup. Brazil is better than the U.S., but they're unlikely to beat Germany or Spain.

Brazil isn't as good as in years past and you know it. They're not winning and neither is the U.S. or England (my teams).

Just be honest with yourself.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Shocking loss by Spain, but it happens. They rained shots in, but weren't fortunate to finish them off. The quality was clearly there, but credit to Switzerland for defending hard and taking advantage of a disgustingly messy opportunity. The Spain vs. Chile and Chile vs. Switzerland matches will be huge, looking forward to them.

Goodbye South Africa, you're done. Forlan had a good game, glad I got him in the fantasy league. :gyeah:

Argentina vs. South Korea and France vs. Mexico should be good...

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

VideoKilledThe wrote: The problem is he is not as good a playmaker as Xavi, not as good at taking players on as Iniesta, not as good a holding mid as Xabi, and not as good a defensive mid as Busquets, so what do you do with him? His not seeing the field at all, seemingly being the 4th guy off the bench, is bullshit.

His NOT playing at Barca hinders his playing time because with so many Barca guys also playing for the Spain national team the question of how they fit together, who fills what role, has already been answered at the club level.

The game changed for Spain when they brought on Torres, but it doesn't look like he has 90 minutes in him yet.
Xabi Alonso is a proven class as a defensive midfielder role.
I expected to see:
-----xabi alonso-----
silva-xavi-fabregas-iniesta
-------villa---------
But it is what it is.
eternalreflection wrote:
Spain coach in 08 was aragones.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

BTW the roundhouse backwards kick on Pique before the Swiss goal was awesome. Perhaps my highlight of the tourney so far.

Aragones tried to fit in Cesc on the wing and it looked an okay solution at times, but now there's Pedro. Still, Cesc had 20 goals and 20 assists last season and that speaks for itself. If he doesn't start it probably has more to do with wanting a squad where the players are familiar with eachother.

I miss seeing Senna run his heart out in the center.

SA will be the first hostteam to get knocked out in the group stage. You have to feel a bit sorry for them.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB