Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I still kinda hope England go through. Remember how much France sucked in 06? Yet they went on to be the most entertaining team of the latter stages.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

No of course not, but English people need a scapegoat for our poor performances. To be honest, I don't think Capello's been great, but when your whole team is idly walking around the pitch and passing the ball to the other team more than their own players, there's only so much you can do.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Question is, is Capello really to blame?

In other news I'm going to stop betting from now on, unless Marlon Brando personally gives me an offer I can't refuse.
This. I am born without luck.

Req

Post by Req »

hella LOLz if England end up getting eliminated by goal difference by the Yanks, Terrorists or Gyppos

cant wait to listen to sports radio tm to hear the same mongs who were bleating about how England are world beaters 2 weeks ago cryin.
F.U. MOOLAH

blessedbybuddha

Post by blessedbybuddha »

This world cup is weird... France, England, Germany and Spain getting fucked by smaller team

It's cool tho... hopefully that will wake some euro-soccer-stars up so they start playing harder for their national team.
<object width="240" height="193"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxIuLOhNNLE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jxIuLOhNNLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="240" height="193"></embed></object>

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Brougham33 wrote::rofl: at England. This works out better for the US.
This worked out great for the States. Now England HAS TO play for the win, exposing itself to possible counters and a loss. Hard to see that game ending in a draw.

Of course, we still need to take care of our business.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

VideoKilledThe wrote:
Brougham33 wrote::rofl: at England. This works out better for the US.
This worked out great for the States. Now England HAS TO play for the win, exposing itself to possible counters and a loss. Hard to see that game ending in a draw.

Of course, we still need to take care of our business.
They were going to have to play for the win anyway. If they'd beaten Algeria there was still the potential to have 3 1 win and 2 draw teams. Not an issue anymore.

Now all the U.S. has to do is win and they move on. Even if they draw they probably move on unless England beats Slovenia by 2 or more goals.

If England wins they move on. If Slovenia and England draw Slovenia moves on no matter what the result of the U.S./Algerian game.

and the NIGHTMARE SCENARIO:

If Algeria and Slovenia win they move on to the next round.

Got it?
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:Worst England performance I can recall. We had an unfortunate result against the USA, but we didn't play badly. This is just inexcuseable. I don't even know what to do with myself. I'm depressed, four years of waiting for this?
Now who's the better team? :gyeah:

I agree with everything you said. I didn't think it was possible for a team to look less interested than the French have. There MUST be a lineup change. Rooney was nowhere to be found, but obviously you have to keep him in the lineup. I'd definitely get Heskey out of there. I'd have Defoe start next game to try and spark them. For the second consecutive World Cup Lampard is ghosting, and Gerrard has been unimpressive as well despite the girl early on in the first game. The defense and James seemed to do a decent job, there was just no push up front at all. Carragher is out next game as well...

Still, all England has to do is win and that's very realistic. Going to be a very nail biting Wednesday.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Boris. wrote:All of you seem to have forgotten the wrestling moves and elbows from american strikers...

I think it was a fair result, each team dominated one half, 3rd goal should have stood but i see the call as compensation for all the offensive fouls ref missed.

At least you don't play england last game :)
Slovenia threw some elbows as well, so don't even try that holier than thou crap. I'll admit the U.S. started it with the Dempsey blast though, but justice was certainly not done. The shitty thing is that the ref won't even say what foul he called and he doesn't have to. Terrible. For such a huge sporting event there really needs to be total transparency.

Boris.

Post by Boris. »

a) ROFL @England :)))

b) Referee in SLO vs USA was horrible. Gave cards at wrong times, didn't give them when he needed to, disallowed a goal that should have stood.

jamrage i'm not sure how much football you watch but shit like this happens all the time. In the ireland vs. france match in the qualifiers henry stopped the ball with his hand and the move lead to a goal which put them through to the world cup. referee didn't see it and all the appeals didn't help ireland ( in the replay it was very clear that he handballed, but they are at home right now anyway). football is frustrating and maybe corrupted alot of times.
If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Up next, the Netherlands versus Japan.

I predict a win for us with the Japanese playing ultra defensive hoping for one quick counter. Boring game probably.

I do hope we finally step our game up and play better than the first half against the Danes. That was dreadful to watch.

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

I expect first half 2 or more goals, probably scored by Netherlands. Might take a bet that Netherlands will score 2 or more goals in first half. Also expect to see some good Honda moves.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Van der Wiel has be awful

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

You guys better go Hiroshima on these dudes so we can claim 2nd later tonight
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

I feel like I'm watching the fucking Italians right now.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Wes Sneijder is your favorite players' favorite player.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Kewell and Cahill with red cards.

:fail:

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Boris. wrote: jamrage i'm not sure how much football you watch but shit like this happens all the time. In the ireland vs. france match in the qualifiers henry stopped the ball with his hand and the move lead to a goal which put them through to the world cup. referee didn't see it and all the appeals didn't help ireland ( in the replay it was very clear that he handballed, but they are at home right now anyway). football is frustrating and maybe corrupted alot of times.
I know this happens a lot my :bork: friend.

I was referring to you when you said it was ok the third American goal didn't count because of all the offensive fouls by the Americans. I was saying that the Slovenians fouled U.S. players almost the same amount so therefore justice was not done.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

A few thoughts.

* USA was robbed. Deserved the win - shocking call from the ref.

* England don't deserve to advance from the group stages.

* Australia are fucked. Their 2 biggest stars copping red cards in consecutive matches.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Fuck that Ref. He was smiling as he gave yellow cards too.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Decent draw for Aus considering their unfortunate double red carding.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Associated Press wrote:KNYSNA, South Africa -- Striker Nicolas Anelka was thrown off France's World Cup squad Saturday after reportedly insulting coach Raymond Domenech.

French Football Federation vice president Noel Le Graet told France's RTL radio the decision was made Saturday after Anelka refused to apologize.

The Chelsea striker reportedly made obscene comments to Domenech at halftime during the 2-0 loss to Mexico on Thursday.

"Faced by the refusal of the player to publicly apologize, he [FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes] took the decision in total agreement with the coach and the official members of the delegation present in Knysna to exclude Nicolas Anelka from the squad," the FFF said in a statement. "He will leave the French team camp this evening."

France's team page
For more about Les Bleus and their chances in South Africa this summer, click here.

The FFF said France captain Patrice Evra was also present with Escalettes when the decision was taken.

Two unconvincing performances in the 0-0 draw with Uruguay and against Mexico had observers such as former France defender Bixente Lizarazu furious at Anelka's casual attitude.

"What bothers me is Nicolas Anelka's performance in the first half. I saw a player strolling ... strolling in the World Cup!" Lizarazu said. "He wasn't aggressive, wasn't interested in the game. Domenech took him off at the break, but should have done so before. You shouldn't play in a selfish manner, you have to show you're up for it."

To other observers, Anelka was never mature enough to take part in a major tournament in the first place.

Like Eric Cantona before him, Anelka will now be known as one of France's most talented but enigmatic players. Cantona, who once kicked a spectator in England, also spent time in limbo after insulting France coach Henri Michel live on television after he was dropped for a friendly match against Czechoslovakia in 1988.

Cantona's tirade against Michel kept him off the France squad until Michel Platini recalled him a year later, while Anelka had an even longer spell out.

Anelka scored twice in a stunning performance against England way back in 1999, but then refused to play under Jacques Santini and spent three years off the national team until Domenech called him back up in November 2005.

Six months later, Domenech snubbed him for the 2006 squad. But Anelka seemed to have put that behind him when he scored a deflected goal at Ireland in the World Cup playoff last November.

French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot says the "huge pressure" on the French players because of the team's poor results is not an excuse for poor behavior.

"The players must keep in mind that they are wearing France's colors and are considered to be role models by many youngsters," Bachelot said in a statement. "This obliges them to show restraint and dignity."

Anelka's expulsion followed newspaper allegations that midfielder Yoann Gourcuff is an unpopular figure on the squad and that defender William Gallas is upset with Domenech for giving the captain's armband to Evra.

Only a handful of French players spoke to the media after the Mexico defeat left France staring at elimination four years after losing to Italy in the World Cup final.

France needs to beat South Africa convincingly Tuesday, and hope Mexico and Uruguay don't draw their final game, to have any chance of qualifying for the second round.

"We deserve the criticism," France midfielder Jeremy Toulalan said Friday. "Despite what was said, I think there were a lot of supporters who had hope. We owe it to ourselves to fight for these people."

Gallas is refusing to speak to reporters for the duration of the competition, while Franck Ribery, Anelka and Thierry Henry -- all mainstays of the team -- have also not spoken so far.

Toulalan, one of only a few players to speak after the Mexico match, fears the team is now a collection of individual talents with no camaraderie whatsoever. He added that "everyone has to do their own self-analysis" and that things will only improve if "everyone is honest [with themselves] and understands what they did or did not do."

Toulalan would not talk about squabbles within the squad.

Some reports have alleged that Gourcuff sometimes eats alone at the dinner table, and that Ribery and Anelka do not like him and pressured Domenech to drop him against Mexico.

Gourcuff was replaced by Florent Malouda, and did not play in the match.

In the opening game against Uruguay, Anelka had a clear chance to pass to the unguarded Gourcuff during the first half but chose not to. Gourcuff threw his arms up in the air.

Toulalan, a close friend of Gourcuff, said players should always behave professionally, no matter what their differences.

"We can't all be the best friends in the world," Toulalan said. "But there's no way I'm going to go out on the pitch with the idea that I'm not going to pass to this player or that player."

Gourcuff said after the Mexico defeat he was being made a scapegoat for the team's inability to score goals.

"It has been a collective failure over the two games. Football is hard when you can't play together," Gourcuff said. "Perhaps I have paid the price, I don't know. I've not had any explanations.".

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Positive A wrote:Van der Wiel has be awful
I take this very personal.

Potentially a top 3 right back of the world. He sucked today, sure.

Game sucked donkey balls. Nearly fell asleep if not for others keeping me awake. I expected this as well. Both the Danes and the Japanpeople kept a very tight defense, makes it hard for us to play football. But they even looked uninspired, fucking unimaginable.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Van der Wiel has unlimited potential, but that 1st half performance was dreadful.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Just back from holidays in south of France. Weather was f**king dire so watched pretty much every single game in the villa.

GOAT holiday.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Just back from holidays in south of France. Weather was f**king dire so watched pretty much every single game in the villa.

GOAT holiday.
Where were you? I lived in Beaulieu-sur-mer and went to school in st jean cap ferrat for a year. Two small towns in the middle between Nice and Monaco. Possibly the best spot on earth.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Positive A wrote:Van der Wiel has unlimited potential, but that 1st half performance was dreadful.
:leon:
Positive A wrote:
Y@k Bollocks wrote:Just back from holidays in south of France. Weather was f**king dire so watched pretty much every single game in the villa.

GOAT holiday.
Where were you? I lived in Beaulieu-sur-mer and went to school in st jean cap ferrat for a year. Two small towns in the middle between Nice and Monaco. Possibly the best spot on earth.
I see that. Same goes for parts of Spain and parts of Italy as well. If ever my latin language skills are up to par I would consider a move. Maybe when I'm retired or something.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Yohan wrote:
Positive A wrote:Van der Wiel has unlimited potential, but that 1st half performance was dreadful.
Positive A wrote:

GOAT holiday.
I see that. Same goes for parts of Spain and parts of Italy as well. If ever my latin language skills are up to par I would consider a move. Maybe when I'm retired or something.
True. Amalfi Coast in Italy is pretty fantastic.

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

How did this match not end 4-4?
Amazing.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Positive A wrote:
Yohan wrote:
Positive A wrote:

GOAT holiday.
True. Amalfi Coast in Italy is pretty fantastic.
I've only been to Rimini on the East coast of Italy, basically some sort of party vacation, but the short cultural moments I experienced there definitely warrant a longer exploration.