Why do people root for teams outside their hometown areas?

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Prophecy wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I picked Florida State as my team (about 4 hours from where I lived) because most of my family are UF grads and I thought Steve Spurrier was a cocksucker (he is). UNC was always on TV for basketball and I really liked the Cota/Jamison/Carter teams and I stuck with them.

I cheer for the school I go to (South Florida), but if they were to play FSU in football or UNC in basketball, I'm going with the teams I chose when I was young. If people don't like that, fuck 'em.
Not cheering for the school who you pay your tuition to is some real disloyal faggot shit. Unless your team lacks a certain sport that you cheer for this is some inexcusable fair weather faggotry. Also must have sucked to see USF bitch slap FSU around Doak last season.....
That was actually a great game for FSU fans as that game was the game that cost Bowden his job and the end of the lost decade.

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

I don't get it.

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

I never understood those rooting for college teams in which they never attended the school.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

oracle21 wrote:I never understood those rooting for college teams in which they never attended the school.
What if they are in your area? Not every school has a Division 1 team.

I always found it funny when people at school would be decked out in another team's gear. Why would you rock head to toe Volunteers gear when you live in California?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

oracle21 wrote:I never understood those rooting for college teams in which they never attended the school.
Check this scenario out: There was over 100,000 people in Tuscaloosa to cheer on the Crimson Tide of Alabama last night. Do you really think all of those hillbilly redneck, KKK cross bearing muthafuckas have the intelligence to make it to a university? Those faggots are lucky enough to make out of junior high, let alone read.

Some people root for a school because a relative went there. Some root for schools because they may have went to a college with no football team. Others root for the school that is in their region because it is the thing to do from birth. There all several more reasons and I could understand on most situations why it is allowable.

internetfront

Post by internetfront »

Big Breeze wrote:
Check this scenario out: There was over 100,000 people in Tuscaloosa to cheer on the Crimson Tide of Alabama last night. Do you really think all of those hillbilly redneck, KKK cross bearing muthafuckas have the intelligence to make it to a university? Those faggots are lucky enough to make out of junior high, let alone read.

Some people root for a school because a relative went there. Some root for schools because they may have went to a college with no football team. Others root for the school that is in their region because it is the thing to do from birth. There all several more reasons and I could understand on most situations why it is allowable.
this + being a fan at a live game is really entertaining. I travel a lot for work and go to enough random games that i'll cheer for the home team (unless playing bulls, bears, sox, hawks, the brewers, or the rays) almost every time. Most of the time i'll even buy a stupid shirt or jersey of a player that i respect just to get even more into the game of 2 teams that i don't care about. I think there are some rules that go out the window at live events.

Also, i'll normally pull for the chicago division if my team isn't in the playoffs...i.e. NFC North, whatever.

but as far as following closely, it's chicago teams and has been since birth. But fuck the Cubs (unless Crawford goes there, in which case i'm at greg-level conflict)

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

I just liked all the teams my Dad liked more or less. Fortunately he didn't like faggy shit.

Basketball -- Knicks, Charlotte, and Phoenix when Barkley was there then Houston when he was traded. I'm too young for his 76'ers days

Charlotte first and foremost though always. I didn't miss a televised Hornets game for almost a decade. I pretty much stopped watching the NBA when I went off to college and don't have a team anymore.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Prophecy wrote:Also, If i was a sonics fan i would want to hang myself right now with the way OKC has been building.
FUCK THE MOTHERFUCKING THUNDER. FOR REAL.