Sports players who made the most of their time and ability

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

blessingindisguise

Sports players who made the most of their time and ability

Post by blessingindisguise »

This could be a long thread and that's ok because it's meant to inspire discussion about players who didn't have alot of athletic ability and achieved despite the fact the odds were against them. It could be either the fact they're not that talented but excelled in special areas like Manute bol in shot blocking and Jeff hornacek in mid range. It doesn't matter what sport it is either.

It's time for the Rudies of Norte dame to shine and not drop the ball like Corey haim did in Lucas. For Woody harrellson to dunk so Rosie perez big titty ass don't leave like Brett farve did Green bay. For Chris webber to have a time out to call and unable to let the ball pass through like Bill buckner.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Derek Jeter. Extremely average defender who if happened to have been playing for the Astros most of his career wouldn't even be considered a HOF or would have had HOF numbers. A product of his environment, who got better and milked the system. See his new contract, case in point.

Now read what I said. He was a good player, who is now herald among the greatest Yankees of all-time. His pedigree did not have HOF written on it. Put Jeter on the Expos and he'd wouldn't even be playing today.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Woodhead, Troy Brown, Bruschi, Bird, Nash, Meggett, Jerry Rice.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Tim Duncan?

Not the most athletic guy. But he's going to end up being the best PF of all time.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

I like the comments so far but i gotta politefully disagree with Phila on Derek jeter not being Hall of fame material. He's gonna get 3,000 plus hits and 2,000 runs. Plus he has 5 chips, 11 all stars, 5 silver sluggers, and deserving of at least SOME of those Gold gloves. I fucking hate the Yankees and they do romanticize the fuck out of their heros however Jeter woulda still been a hall of famer had he played for expos-nationals.

I could see Tim duncan as the best. Though I perfer Charles barkley, and Garnett due to Duncan's rings it'd be hard to overlook that. Kevin mchale had better footwork then Duncan but that's one faucet.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Philaflava wrote:Derek Jeter. Extremely average defender who if happened to have been playing for the Astros most of his career wouldn't even be considered a HOF or would have had HOF numbers. A product of his environment, who got better and milked the system. See his new contract, case in point.

Now read what I said. He was a good player, who is now herald among the greatest Yankees of all-time. His pedigree did not have HOF written on it. Put Jeter on the Expos and he'd wouldn't even be playing today.
Let's not act like Jeter was some athletically challenged kid who got drafted in the 43rd round or something. It might not mean as much in baseball but he was still the 6th overall pick. The guy is one of the best hitters of his generation. If he played for the Astros he'd be a better version of Craig Biggio. Which is a hall of fame pedigree in my eyes. Of course he's been overrated, but to say that he would be out of baseball by 36? That's fucking ridiculous. If he played for any team but the Yankees he'd be playing LF or DH by now anyway which would lengthen his career.

When you crunch the numbers he compares very favorably offensively to the guys that are already in the hall of fame. He's going to eclipse 3000 hits before he turns 37.

I know you said he'd still be a good player, but to suggest that Jeter's hall of fame credentials begin and end with the team he plays for and the success of those teams is something I 100% disagree with.

Who cares that the gold gloves he didn't deserve, if anything that solidifies that nobody will ever take that award seriously.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

David Eckstein

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Brad Miller
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

wayne gretzky kinda owns this. tall & skinny, didn't have a great shot, wasn't a great skater, wasn't overly tough. dominated his sport statistically more than anyone has in any sport.

maybe i missed the point...

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Nets 2022

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Paul Pierce always seemed like someone who wasn't very athletic but always found ways to score.

Timmeh of course.

Reggie Miller.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

fuckin word to wayne
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

drobizhek wrote:
Reggie Miller.
don't sleep. true it was in his genes but true stories reggie miller could NOT palm a basketball. and he ended up a top 5 shooter of all time
Nets 2022

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

obviously,

there is no possible way this man's career could have gone any better.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Zach Thomas
Curtis Martin
Chad Pennington
Steve Largent
Jamie Moyer
Greg Maddux
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Tim Wakefield
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Hayzoos wrote:Brad Miller
why brad miller?
He is reasonable athletic for his size. not a great career, but not a bad one. Brad miller is average in every sense of the word for an NBA player

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Nash and Stockton are who I think of for basketball

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

jazzmatazz23 wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:Brad Miller
why brad miller?
He is reasonable athletic for his size. not a great career, but not a bad one. Brad miller is average in every sense of the word for an NBA player
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As Neil Funk said during the Houston game "Well we all know he runs the 40 in two weeks." The man doesn't have a lick of athleticism, and that's what makes him awesome. He's just a regular dude who happened to be tall as fuck so he decided to play basketball.

Also, his two All Star selections beg to differ with your claims of him being "average".

The Crafty Veteran >>>>
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Eddy Curry
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

Prophecy wrote: Greg Maddux
really? didnt he win 47.6 gold gloves?

DLG

Post by DLG »

jeff hostetler

ric

Post by ric »

jordan. he had the ability and clearly was goat but its a unique situation. dude dominated, left to play another sport, came back, dominated in different ways. if thats not making the most of time and ability i dont know what is.
GLUS wrote:
Prophecy wrote: Greg Maddux
really? didnt he win 47.6 gold gloves?
his arm was well below average. good placement but slow as fuck. in a game where pitchers brains are their true asset, maddux's brain was far far superior, thus the excellence. jamie moyer was the same way

naturalborn103

Re: Sports players who made the most of their time and abili

Post by naturalborn103 »

blessingindisguise wrote:This could be a long thread and that's ok because it's meant to inspire discussion about players who didn't have alot of athletic ability and achieved despite the fact the odds were against them.
Jordan??? You fail at everything.

BeHemoth
Bam Bam

Post by BeHemoth »

Rod Smith
Doug Flutie
Jamie Moyer
Jameer Nelson (premature)
Steve Kerr