MLB Off-Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Joe is so adorable when he is mad.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

:rofl:

You can have your moment in the sun. Just hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the ass about 10-11 months from now.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Jerry Crasnick now reporting the deal is actually 107.5 million over 5 years, but $120 million guaranteed overalll, if his sixth year option doesn't vest he still gets a 12.5 million buyout.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

maybe it all was some master plan

get rid of Lee for no good reason, lucksack get Oswalt and then get Lee back anyway

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Phillies are exploring Mike Cameron. LOL.

Trade Blanton and Ibanez first.

I.A.

Post by I.A. »

Joe Pesci wrote:
As far as Phillies having the best rotation ever, let's wait for the season to start guys. Not saying they won't be fucking fantastic, but what if Lee reverts to his old self? What if Halladay gets injured? What if 2009 Cole Hamels decides to show up?

That's a lot of what ifs, but things don't always go as planned in sports. Again, not saying they won't be great because I expect them to breeze through the NL this year.
agreed. this is an amazing move n i love it but too many things can happen and nothing is a given. still gotta go out n play the games n more importantly hit! but this is phenomenal n im extremely excited about it!! way to be RAJ!!

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Yankees ink Russel Martin. lol. Plan E is now in effect.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Yankees just signed Mark Prior.

Now just re-sign Wood and trade for Zambrano and Brian Cashman can party like its 2003.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

A's bring back Rich Harden. LOL.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Philaflava wrote:A's bring back Rich Harden. LOL.
Fuck you, we got Matsui too.
All that's missing is a time machine.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

shocked nobody has mentioned that the athletics have signed hideki matsui

just fuckin with you jayou :lol:
Nets 2022

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Reason wrote:shocked nobody has mentioned that the athletics have signed hideki matsui

just fuckin with you jayou :lol:

Don't make me do the Evelyn* face, bro.

*The bitch in my sig.
Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Bob Feller passed away

R.I.P.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

this article breaks down the designated hitter situation that could play an integral part in teams this season. As previously noted by reason matsui is on the a's. Lance Berkman on the downside of his career and i seriously doubt he'll hit 20 homers for the Redbirds.

http://www.baseballdailydigest.com/2010 ... d-hitters/

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Yankees about to sign Pedro Feliciano. Glad that it looks like they're gonna grab one of the better lefty relievers on the market and probably for a better deal than Downs

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Joe Pesci wrote:Bob Feller passed away

R.I.P.
the current goat baseball writer, Joe Posnanski, chimes in and its another really great read.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/16/rip-bob-feller/

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

According to ESPN Boston's Gordon Edes, Dan Wheeler has agreed to a deal with the Red Sox. WEEI's Alex Speier reports that the deal is for one year and contains a team option for 2012 that would vest with 65 appearances in 2011. When will it end? In the last two weeks the Red Sox have traded for Adrian Gonzalez and signed Carl Crawford, Bobby Jenks and now Wheeler. He strengthens a suddenly super deep bullpen and gives the team more protection to deal Jonathan Papelbon if they decide to do so (and can find a willing trade partner). Wheeler posted a 3.35 ERA and 46/16 K/BB ratio over 48 1/3 innings for the Rays this past season.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I'm kinda glad that the Red Sox currently have a higher payroll than the Yankees do.

What happened to the cherished Red Sox budget that Larry Luch and Theo Epstein were oh so proud about?

Welcome to the dark side, red sox nation. Welcome, indeed.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Twins, Nishioka agree to 3-year, $10M pact
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Twins have agreed to a three-year deal worth around $10 million with infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka.

The contract also includes a fourth year option. Nishioka played shortstop in Japan, but the Twins are expected to start him at second base initially and see how well he adjusts to the different style of play. The 26-year-old won the batting title in Nippon Professional Baseball this past year with a .346 average. It remains to be seen how he will fare state-side.
i don't know anything about him

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I'm kinda glad that the Red Sox currently have a higher payroll than the Yankees do.

What happened to the cherished Red Sox budget that Larry Luch and Theo Epstein were oh so proud about?

Welcome to the dark side, red sox nation. Welcome, indeed.
Yeah but the Yankees bought all those guys! The Red Sox give the highest contracts fair and square!

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

capable_keL wrote:Twins, Nishioka agree to 3-year, $10M pact
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Twins have agreed to a three-year deal worth around $10 million with infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka.

The contract also includes a fourth year option. Nishioka played shortstop in Japan, but the Twins are expected to start him at second base initially and see how well he adjusts to the different style of play. The 26-year-old won the batting title in Nippon Professional Baseball this past year with a .346 average. It remains to be seen how he will fare state-side.
i don't know anything about him
He has a super hot Japanese model wife, who he brought with him to tour Target Field and such. They are both eager to move here, learn English, and learn about Minnesota.

Now you know something.
I <3 Employee.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Oh so a guy has a wife and wants to learn about where he is moving? How insightful.

Brewers stole Zack Greinke, I'm so glad I'm not a Royals fan. Dayton Moore is a fag.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Gregg Popabitch wrote: Welcome to the dark side
So you acknowledge having a big payroll is the dark side!

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Also, Dayton Moore envies Myjah's penis.

Now you know something.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

god I hate the Twins, giving away a solid backup catcher for free again

Guerrier and Crain both gone as well

on a positive note our idiotic 3B coach is out, that should negate the whole Hardy trade

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

the yankees will not make the playoffs next year unless nova improves fast NOW

Yanks likely going with current pitching
EmailPrintComments
By Wallace Matthews
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive
NEW YORK -- Having finished second, or maybe third, in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, the Yankees are prepared to go into the 2011 season with a pitching rotation of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Phil Hughes , with the remaining spots filled out by youngsters, many of whom have never pitched above the Triple-A level.

"I'm not saying I want to do it," general manager Brian Cashman said in a telephone conversation Monday morning, "but I may have to do it."

Cashman is operating under the assumption that Andy Pettitte, back home in Deer, Park, Texas, following a an excellent season cut short by a groin injury, will not be returning for a 17th major league season.

"If we get Pettitte back, so much the better," Cashman said. "But I'm not waiting for him. He told me not to."

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
With Lee having signed with the Phillies, Pettitte mulling retirement and Zack Greinke being traded to the Milwaukee Brewers, the pickings are slim among available starting pitchers -- with the exception of Carl Pavano, a free agent whose disastrous first Yankees tenure rules out the possibility of a second.

Cashman acknowledged his team could use a major league ready starter as well as another arm in the bullpen but seemed pessimistic about the chances of getting one before Opening Day.

"Could I go out and get a starter? Yes, I could. But there's just not much out there," Cashman said. "I have March, April, May, June and July, really, to come up with someone."

Cashman also ruled out, although not absolutely, the possibility the Yankees might include catching prospect Jesus Montero in a trade for a front-line starter now that the Yankees have signed Russell Martin to assume every-day catching duties. "There's just nobody out there I would consider trading Montero for," Cashman said.

Asked if that included Seattle Mariners ace Felix Hernandez, Cashman said, "That ain't happening."

So heading into spring training, Cashman said the Yankees would try to cull two starters from a young crop that includes Ivan Nova, who is virtually assured a spot in the 2011 rotation, as well as right-handers Andrew Brackman, Dellin Betances, Adam Warren, Hector Noesi and left-hander Manny Banuelos.

Of the six, only Nova has pitched at the major league level, appearing in 10 games the second half of last season (seven starts), and compiling a 1-2 record and 4.50 ERA but displaying enough stuff and poise that the Yankees are counting on him to fill one of the starting spots.

None of the others has pitched at a higher level than Double-A, and Banuelos and Betances, who had ligament reinforcement surgery in 2009, spent last season in Class A ball.

"We have 10 prospects starting from Double-A on up that our organization can choose from," Cashman said.

The GM ruled out a return to the rotation for Joba Chamberlain, who along with David Robertson will compete for the job as eighth-inning set-up man vacated when Kerry Wood became a free agent. Over the weekend, Wood signed a contract to return to the Chicago Cubs.

Cashman declined to say whether he was interested in free agent right-hander Freddy Garcia. According to a report, the Yankees asked for the medicals on the 35-year-old Garcia, who was 12-6 with a 4.64 ERA for the White Sox in 2010. "We ask for the medical records on every free agent," Cashman said.

So for now, the Yankees are standing pat.

"In the past, we might have gone out and traded away prospects just to get someone in here," Cashman said. "But realistically, I have until July to get this solved."
Nets 2022

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Yanks can probably win the wild card with 88-90 wins next year. The main competition will come from the central though. I think Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota will all be above .500 teams with Detroit being the most improved of the bunch.

Definitely not looking good but if Andy doesn't come back though.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

love me some jayson stark:

ג€¢ Finally, this is an author's warning that the next Strange But True fact is one we love so much, we're going to bring it back again later this week. But there's no single fact that sums up the ineptitude of this offense more than this: This team was so incapable of scoring runs that Ichiro -- the guy who was first in the American League in hits -- still managed to score fewer runs (74) than Mark Reynolds (79), the guy who was last (among qualifiers) in the National League in hits. Friends, that just shouldn't be possible. But it was that kind of season for the Mariners.
Nets 2022

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Oh so a guy has a wife and wants to learn about where he is moving? How insightful.
Most baseball players don't actually live where they play, you know. Even Joe Mauer lives in Florida now for most of the off-season.
I <3 Employee.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Sylissez wrote:Also, Dayton Moore envies Myjah's penis.
Yep. It's bigger than most.
I <3 Employee.