Best Mixed Martial Arts Fighter of the Year

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who is the best Mixed Martial Arts Fighter of the Year?

Jose Aldo
15%
Frank Edgar
8%
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
No votes
Anderson Silva
12%
Georges St. Pierre
54%
Cain Velasquez
12%

Total votes: 26

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
vermillion wrote:The award is "Best Mixed Martial Arts Fighter of the Year" not "Best Mixed Martial Arts Fighter".
lol @ playing the "definition" card with the guy that made the poll.
As laughable as it may seem, I actually agree with what he said. If it's "Best Mixed Martial Arts Fighter", then you forgot to include Fedor, who's one of very few men with a legitimate claim at the P4P title... but he wasn't the fighter of the year.

You asked "Who was the best fighter this year?", and Anderson Silva didn't have a particularly good year. He looked human, which isn't bad- but isn't something that can be said of a couple other fighters in this poll. He's still one of a handful of fighters that can lay claim to the P4P crown, though.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

the only reason silva looked human was because he fought a roided out dude while with bruised ribs which were subsequently cracked in the fight.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

"Who's the best fighter this year?"

I wasn't try to twist your words to make my opinion seem more valid, I just took what you wrote and that's how I understood it. Also, the steroid point I don't buy. Sure the injury played a part, but doing steroids isn't some magical thing that will make you unstoppable and instantly improve your striking and wrestling. All Sonnen did was exploit a big visible hole in Silva's game up untill Silva capitalized on Sonnen's biggest weakness. For the record I do think he may be the best fighter in the world, but I don't think he was as great or as dominate as Velasquez was this year. Kind of iffy on who is the best because I do think GSP might have better skills, but I think Silva would murder him in the cage.

Gregg Popabitch

considering that i do BJJ and kickboxing, i know for a fact that there is a lot of technique involved in striking and ground games.....you also have to take to coaching.

however you are bugging if you think doing roids won't increase your strength which in turn will help you if you are already a good technical fighter.

lol @ the roids aren't a magic potion. more or less true. but it's kinda like barry bonds in baseball. sure steroids won't help you hit a baseball. but if you already know how to hit a baseball, it'll help you improve your bat speed and hit it farther as well as the possible side effect of improving your eyesight.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Not sure if this should be another thread or not, but what are your picks for Submission, KO and Fight of the year?

Sub - Werdum vs Fedor
KO - Lawler vs Manhoef
Fight - Misaki vs Sanitago 2

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Agree with sub and Fight, for KO I'm going with Paul Daley vs. Scott Smith.

Gregg Popabitch

misaki/santiago is definitely fight of the year.

I'm with Kid with Daley punking Smith as KO of the year.

i'm going to be the dick and say Silva over Chael as sub of the year.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:the only reason silva looked human was because he fought a roided out dude while with bruised ribs which were subsequently cracked in the fight.
I still don't think that makes him worthy of fighter of the year, but can't try to argue that your opinion is invalid. After all, opinions are like voices we all have a different kind.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:considering that i do BJJ and kickboxing, i know for a fact that there is a lot of technique involved in striking
How long you been doing that?

Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103 wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:considering that i do BJJ and kickboxing, i know for a fact that there is a lot of technique involved in striking
2 years.

I had to stop doing BJJ for the past few months because my life was getting busy but after it stopped getting as hectic, I didn't pick it back up. I just restarted doing BJJ again this week because I saw a lack of explosion in my b-ball game. Yeah, I'm getting old.

I love kickboxing. Fucking fun as hell. BJJ makes my core unbelievable though.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:
I love kickboxing. Fucking fun as hell. BJJ makes my core unbelievable though.
it's all in the hips dogg, I've been doing BJJ since 08'. You got your blue yet? I'm still a white belt due to a break and my teacher passed away last year.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Hatsu Hioki >>>

Beat Inoue, Jeff Lawson and #2 ranked Marlon Sandro in one year.
UBM CD COMING SOON

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:Hatsu Hioki >>>

Beat Inoue, Jeff Lawson and #2 ranked Marlon Sandro in one year.
He probably should have got nominated, but this is like people claiming The Cold Vein is better produced than 2001 in that M2C thread. Also, I don't think Sandro was number 2. Definitely top 5, but not ranked second.