Official European Football 2011/2012 Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

On Football Focus today, not one of the pundits tipped Arsenal for a top four finish. And, perhaps just as distressingly, the host didn't even say "Nobody thinks Arsenal, then?" or anything. It just wasn't an issue.

Watched Chelsea Wigan.

1. Good result.

3. Sturridge ran rampant, again. The kid's been fantastic this season, pretty annoyed who he plays for. He's also now the league's best dancer, since Asamoah Gyan's fucked off to the Middle East. Here's a rather bizarre video of him dancing on Smile Jamaica, the country's version of GMTV/The Today Show:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5Q0xOanqWw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5Q0xOanqWw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Outside of Mata, Sturridge has been the most impressive Chelsea player, you can really see the difference when he isn't in the squad.

Ronaldo's 2nd goal today was ill. Di Maria looked very dangerous playing more central in the hole behind Benzema, he was easily MOTM.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

3-0 up at halftime against Santos in the CWC. Can't believe these guys thought they could hang with the gawds. Digging this whole team of midfielders. Buidling, infinite.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:the host didn't even say "Nobody thinks Arsenal, then?" or anything. It just wasn't an issue.
It's going to make everything that much sweeter when we do get a top 4 position. Pundits love to counts us out.

My match preview for today:

I think City will play a patient game and attempt to mark Van Persie out. They'll sit and wait for their chance on a counter and how efficiently they can distribute the ball out of midfield depends on Song's ability to stop Silva who is their creative outlet. Koscielny plays the agressive centreback and he will have to go forward to close gaps, a lot depends on Mertesacker's positioning when he stays back, he will have to watch Balotelli carefully and not lose concentration for a second.
I suspect Zabaleta will be moved to LB which gives Walcott a huge role in this game, it might be hard for him to be influential if City play a deep line since he needs to run at defenders to really get in to the game. Gervinho works better in tight space so it's up to him to get the best of Richards on the other flank. Arsenal's central midfield is stronger technically but perhaps not as robust defensively, I think the battle of the midfield will be the key to win this game. If City can kick us around in the middle of the park we could look lethargic, on the other hand if our passing game remains crisp their oafs will have a tough job chasing shadows all evening.
Both teams have two young keepers who has to be counted as two of the best in the world right now, so I don't see a lot of goals in this game.
Lastly, I could see a red card being shown in this game. There's been reds in the last three city-arse matchups, if I remember correctly.

Huge game. Huuuge.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Balotelli driving around Manc dressed as Santa, handing out cash to homeless people? That bloke is brilliant. Such a character.

http://thewall.com.au/topics/60037-balo ... manchester

Stuck a little fiver on City.

Comedy Quaddafi

Love that guy so much, one of my favorite people in modern sports. Might change my tune later today though.

#whyalwaysme
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

quite a fucking cracker, here.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Just watching Spurs now. VDV is :jiz: ing all over the pitch with these passes. Amazing to behold.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
HomieDontPlayDat wrote:the host didn't even say "Nobody thinks Arsenal, then?" or anything. It just wasn't an issue.
It's going to make everything that much sweeter when we do get a top 4 position. Pundits love to counts us out.

My match preview for today:

I think City will play a patient game and attempt to mark Van Persie out. They'll sit and wait for their chance on a counter and how efficiently they can distribute the ball out of midfield depends on Song's ability to stop Silva who is their creative outlet. Koscielny plays the agressive centreback and he will have to go forward to close gaps, a lot depends on Mertesacker's positioning when he stays back, he will have to watch Balotelli carefully and not lose concentration for a second.
I suspect Zabaleta will be moved to LB which gives Walcott a huge role in this game, it might be hard for him to be influential if City play a deep line since he needs to run at defenders to really get in to the game. Gervinho works better in tight space so it's up to him to get the best of Richards on the other flank. Arsenal's central midfield is stronger technically but perhaps not as robust defensively, I think the battle of the midfield will be the key to win this game. If City can kick us around in the middle of the park we could look lethargic, on the other hand if our passing game remains crisp their oafs will have a tough job chasing shadows all evening.
Both teams have two young keepers who has to be counted as two of the best in the world right now, so I don't see a lot of goals in this game.
Lastly, I could see a red card being shown in this game. There's been reds in the last three city-arse matchups, if I remember correctly.

Huge game. Huuuge.
:fail:

It was a fantastically entertaining game to watch, I felt like Arsenal got screwed on a couple of offsides calls. With all the chances both teams had it could have easily been a draw. The better team won though.

Totally agree about Sturridge being a major bright spot for Chelsea.

Cool that Landon Donovan will be back in the EPL with Everton in January.

Wolves/Norwich was a fantastic match yesterday. The last 20 minutes was :ohsh: I've said it before, but I love watching Norwich play. They always play for the win, and are gritty as fuck. They're definitely one of my favorite teams right now.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

HomieDontPlayDat

http://www.twitter.com/stupidfootball
How do you know Blackburn are losing? They're playing.
I'd hate to be Gervinho. Even if you stood level you'd know your forehead was offside.
Emile Heskey has hit out at his critics... and missed.

Comedy Quaddafi

Sorry but Liverpool look like absolute idiots making a martyr out of Suarez. Not even Chelsea would sink so low.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q2vcCuCWeUA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q2vcCuCWeUA?version=3&hl=da_DK" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This guy might be even better than Vermaelen. Can't believe that the attack is a bigger concern than the defense now.

--------Chesney
Sagna-Boss-Verm-Santos
---Arteta-Song-Wilshere
xxx---------------------xxx
-----------Robin

Amazing. Just need cover for Robin and a new option on the wing.
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Since Wenger likes the French league guys, arsenal should look at the Sochaux guys: Marvin Martin and/or Rihad Boudebouz. Not outright wingers by any means, but man oh man, they can pass the ball immaculately.

HomieDontPlayDat

Santos is an awful, awful player.

Comedy Quaddafi

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:Santos is an awful, awful player.

That's an awful, awful opinion. Dunno who told you that.
Our attack has suffered a lot without him and his tackling-skills are sublime, good positional sense too so he only has his fitness-issues to adress.
- MB

HomieDontPlayDat

Your devotion to seeing the best in every Arsenal player is nice, but misguided. The guy is not good. He overplays the ball, gives it away in terrible positions, gets himself into difficult situations unnecessarily just outside his own box. He makes Bendtner-style mistakes with the ball, and he's a fucking fullback. Bad player. Watch him play more.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

THE RETURN OF THA GAWD
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Fuck. Dropped points in Wales. Honestly though, Swansea PROBABLY deserved 3.

I love Vorm.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

You could definitely argue Swansea deserved all 3 points. Gotta respect their possesion attack steez.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Happy new year, football peeps!

Comedy Quaddafi

Boilesen is extending (nh), I hear :cheers:

Gunners got outplayed by Fulham today. Every summer we seem to take a step forwards and two steps back. Wenger made astute signings but he didn't properly replace Fibreglass and Cashri Incredibly frustating. Podolski and Kaka plz, Wengie.
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Yohan wrote:Happy new year, football peeps!
Happy new year bro.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

So many opportunities missed in the first 30. Bale has been passing nicely.

:icedit:

Squeaked away with a win.

Postive A-- Would you say Assou-Ekotto has improved a helluva lot?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

vinylpops wrote: Postive A-- Would you say Assou-Ekotto has improved a helluva lot?
Yes. I love Benoit. He takes charge down that left wing and has some put nice in crosses in the box this season. He isn't the strongest defender but he gets the job done most of the time. I'm a huge fan, but I always have been.

I love the BAE/Kyle Walker combo we've got going. Get excited watching them both charge down the field.

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Positive A wrote: I love the BAE/Kyle Walker combo we've got going. Get excited watching them both charge down the field.
Eh that Swansea goal was directly from some of Benny's fancy pants defending. Wish Everton would go completely broke, Leyton Baines/Walker combo would be sick.

The different shoe color thing is kinda amusing though.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

b0mbs_of_death wrote:
Positive A wrote: I love the BAE/Kyle Walker combo we've got going. Get excited watching them both charge down the field.
Eh that Swansea goal was directly from some of Benny's fancy pants defending. Wish Everton would go completely broke, Leyton Baines/Walker combo would be sick.

The different shoe color thing is kinda amusing though.
yeah the Swansea goal was abhorrent.

Leyton and Kyle Walker would be :jiz:

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Boilesen is extending (nh), I hear :cheers:
Probably. His dad says he will. He might be a few days away from a new contract.

There are also rumours floating around some Ajax messageboards regarding Lucas Andersen and Patrick Olsen, two young Danish midfielders. They are being linked with a move either this or the summer transfer window to Ajax. Not sure what to believe at this point, but Ajax' interest in them has been well documented. We have one scout doing God's work in Denmark.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Marco Reus to Dortmund! An attack of Gotze, Lewandowski, Reus is fucking ill. Too bad they couldn't hold on to Sahin, he should be playing first team football somewhere.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Demba Ba is the bollocks.

Req

Post by Req »

shite midfield as usual.
F.U. MOOLAH