The Official Boxing Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Jayou Ayen

Re: 2011 Official Boxing Thread

Post by Jayou Ayen »

The gawd Corrie Sanders was gunned down in South Africa.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 07152.html
RIP,

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I heard. Sad news.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

Best boxing card in a while, and it's not a PPV.

Rios Alvarado should be a bloody mess with someone getting knocked out. If you're the casual fan that only watches big fights and enjoy slug fests I can almost promise you this will deliver.

And the main event , Donaire vs. Nishioka is really interesting. Is the 36 year old Japanese boxer who hasn't fought in a about a year going to be too rusty and fall victim to Donaire's power early? or will Donaire once again fall in love with his own power and speed and allow the technician Nishioka to eventually get his timing and distance down and begin breaking down the filipino flash.

The Aluminum Falcon

Fuck. Yes.

FOTY for me.

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

good fight, hbo fucking up again having that donaire fight as the main event. people were whistling and booing REAL early in that fight. it looks like hbo always gets it wrong no matter who's in charge at the network.

The Aluminum Falcon

atlantiswasreal wrote:good fight, hbo fucking up again having that donaire fight as the main event. people were whistling and booing REAL early in that fight. it looks like hbo always gets it wrong no matter who's in charge at the network.
I don't see how HBO got it wrong in this instance. There was no way they could have reversed the order of those fights without coming across as being extremely disrespectful to the sport itself. Both fights on paper were seemingly excellent matchmaking, and one of the fights not only lived up to but exceeded expectations that night. Nishioka wasn't just a legit opponent for Donaire, he was THE opponent for Donaire at the time. In retrospect its easy now to say that it should have been Rigondeux or someone else who would be more willing to come forward, but judging by Nishioka's past fights it would have been very difficult to predict that he would freeze up like that once the bell rang. I'm not gonna complain about that card at all, it was great. It had the best of both worlds concerning both the casual fans and boxing purists alike. Just because some drunken, blood-thirsty fans were annoyed with Nishioka's level of precaution in the ring directly after witnessing one of the best fights of the year doesn't mean the event wasn't a success. I wanted more action too, but there's no way it wasn't an extremely enjoyable night of boxing on a whole. We even got a couple knockdowns in Donaire's dull yet dominant stoppage victory. And as far as Rios Alvarado is concerned they have certainly made a case for headlining a event should they decide to get in there and do it again.

atlantiswasreal

let me start by saying that rigondeaux vs. donaire could be the most boring fight of all time. both fighters are dope, but they have had a track record of not providing entertaining fights, especially when their opponents aren't the aggressor-i will say that rigondeaux has picked up some slack and turned it up a notch lately. reminds me alot of what happened when bradley and alexander fought. two pretty good fighters but the styles were such that it produced a huge stinker.

donaire's track record, as of late, was reason enough to not have had him in the main event. his last few fights have not been exciting. by no means am i saying nishioka or donaire are not good at what they do. but HBO decided to play promoter once again and slot in donaire -it's sweetheart- in the main event. You can't tell me fight fans were salivating more over the donaire/nishioka fight more than the rios/alvarado fight when they were announced. again, i'm not saying it wasn't a good card. and like you pointed out, hindsight is 20/20, but c'mon. i'm just saying the way they ordered the fights wasn't appropriate. side note here, that nishioka chicken wing thing he was doing was quite annoying. i seen him fight, the guy is a bad motherfucker so i'm guessing he was injured or something cause that was some weird shit. the corner was real quick to throw in the towel-probably another indicator that he could have been hurt. and hats off to the ref who carried himself extremely well whenever kellerman gave him the 3rd degree. you never know what version of kellerman you're going to get - the cool fight fan who points out stuff no one else would or the total hbo shill.

it's like when i went to see immortal technique. he went on and absolutely murdered it-did a dirty ass rendition of dance with the devil to end it. then the headliner, brother ali, came on and the crowd was like "what the fuck is this?" although, in this instance, i do think brother ali is wack. that's probably a bad analogy, but hopefully you get my point. i don't like brother ali.

and the fights that rios and alvarado take on from here got me drooling. any combination of these three rios/alvarado/Provodnikov would be dope.

The Aluminum Falcon

atlantiswasreal wrote:let me start by saying that rigondeaux vs. donaire could be the most boring fight of all time.

Word. I still want to see it considering how relevant it is in relation to the rankings, but it's probably going to be about 40% as eventful as Wlad Haye if it actually gets made.

I agree or sympathize with all of your other points except
atlantiswasreal wrote:i'm just saying the way they ordered the fights wasn't appropriate.
I still feel like the big, relevant fights between the highest ranked champions in a division deserve the spotlight. Truth is I was more excited for Rios Alvarado as well, but no matter how exciting of a fight it was there was a reason it was on the undercard. Not even a belt, never mind P4P status, was at stake.

atlantiswasreal

i'm with you on that point, as logical as it is, i just felt like rios and alvarado first was the way to go.

this kid chocolate fight was entertaining. no matter how lopsided those cards suggest, it was a good scrap.

no comment at all on the garcia/morales fight.

and devon alexander continues to annoy me with his excessive holding. it's cool if you're holding after you got nailed or you're gassed, but when it's part of your offense and you grab a guy immediately after throwing a punch, that's cheating. i just don't get why he does it. the guy has the talent to beat guys without it. i'm glad jim grey pretty much told him he sucked it up and loved alexander's and the crowd's reaction. looked like he was embarassed.

didn't get to see the malignagi fight yet

The Aluminum Falcon

RIP to the iconic trainer and boxing analyst Emanuel Steward.

DETROIT -- Emanuel Steward, the owner of the legendary Kronk Gym and one of boxing's greatest trainers, has died. He was 68.

Victoria Kirton, Steward's executive assistant, says Steward died Thursday in a Chicago hospital. She did not disclose the cause of death.

The International Boxing Hall of Famer made his name training Thomas Hearns at the Kronk Gym in Detroit. That paved the way for Steward to work with a long line of champion boxers such as champion Lennox Lewis, during a big part of his title run, and current heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko as recently as July.

Steward owned the legendary Kronk Gym, where his fighters were clad in red and gold trunks, and worked as an analyst for HBO.

"There are no adequate words to describe the enormous degree of sadness and loss we feel at HBO Sports with the tragic passing of Manny Steward," HBO president Ken Hershman said in a statement Thursday. "For more than a decade, Manny was a respected colleague who taught us so much not only about the sweet science but also about friendship and loyalty. His energy, enthusiasm and bright smile were a constant presence. Ten bells do not seem enough to mourn his passing. His contributions to the sport and to HBO will never be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/85 ... er-dies-68

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Fuck that, make a thread Al.
Emanuel Stewart was important enough.
RIP,

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Word, R.I.P.

Anybody catch Garcia vs. Morales on Showtime last week? I'm watching it now. Maaaaaad early bell in the 3rd round after Morales got wobbled and looked like he was going to fall victim to an early KO.

I understand the promoters want to make the main even a good one for the first fight at the Barclay Center and all that, but 59 seconds early?! That's a 2 minute round! No integrity there. Plus, there was already a really good action brawl in in the undercard anyway.

atlantiswasreal

as weird as this may sound, i think a majority of the people there were there to see morales. it's a fucking tragedy to the sport of boxing that the fight went on, though. i understand they're trying to establish a stronghold in NY but the fact they went ahead with the fight after morales tested positive is huge slap in the face to boxing and professional sports.

And this past weekends bouts were real lack luster. I kinda skimmed through them cause i wasn't really diggins anything that was going on so if you guys think a fight deserved a good look, let me know.

Leave it in the ring radio podcast spent about half the podcast talking about steward. I never liked the way he called fights but they shed some light about how he was off air and i was really intrigued about that part of his life.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I DVR'ed HBO Boxing After Dark and watched it today. Nothing really held my attention.

atlantiswasreal

yeah, that mayfield fight put me to sleep. really looking forward to the mares/moreno fight. not sure when that is exactly. any other really good fights coming up this year?

dubs

Post by dubs »

i always liked when steward called fights. he seemed very fair and objective to me, even if his guy was losing.

rios alvarado was awesome.

i heard morales got knocked thru the ropes, havent seen the fight. but morales failing for steroids is lol. 130lbers on roids? whodathunkit?
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

ADR

Post by ADR »

atlantiswasreal wrote:yeah, that mayfield fight put me to sleep. really looking forward to the mares/moreno fight. not sure when that is exactly. any other really good fights coming up this year?
Still some decent work on the itinerary before the years out:

Gary Russell Jr vs Vyacheslav Gusev
Vanes Martirosyan vs Erislandy Lara
Adrien Broner vs Antonio DeMarco
Carl Froch vs Yusaf Mack
Robert Guerrero vs Andre Berto
Miguel Cotto vs Austin Trout
Amir Khan vs Carlos Molina
Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym

I intentionally left out Pacquiao-Marquez because I couldn't give a shit.

The Aluminum Falcon

:copy:

ADR

Post by ADR »

This is not a new story but I really like the fight and hope it gets made:

Lamont Peterson vs Kendall Holt ordered by IBF, Zab Judah out of title picture

Zab Judah didn't sign a contract to face Lamont Peterson in time, so he's been replaced as IBF mandatory challenger by Kendall Holt.
Zab Judah has lost his place in line to face Lamont Peterson for the IBF junior welterweight title, and the sanctioning body has now ordered that titlist Peterson and Kendall Holt begin negotiations for a mandatory title fight.

Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KO) hasn't fought since a December 2012 upset of Amir Khan, which has now been discredited by many due to Peterson admitting he used synthetic testosterone prior to the bout, which combined with some questionable officiating all around, has led some to all but disregard the fight. Peterson had a May rematch with Khan scheduled, but failed a VADA test, which led to the testosterone admission.

Most recently, the 28-year-old fighter was linked to Judah, who didn't sign a contract in time according to the IBF, and Timothy Bradley. A Bradley-Peterson rematch was supposedly in the works for December 15, but didn't come together, with Bradley saying he didn't see any value in the fight. Peterson-Judah reportedly drew no interest from the major networks, and when up for purse bid, drew just one $50,000 bid from Peterson's team.

Holt (28-5, 16 KO) is one of the wild cards of the 140-pound division, a former titleholder who never seems to perform consistently, but is highly dangerous on his good nights. He's 3-3 over his last six fights, which dates back to a 2009 loss to Timothy Bradley in an excellent fight, followed by a listless performance against and loss to Kaizer Mabuza. Since then, Holt has scored early TKO wins over Lenin Arroyo, Julio Diaz, and Tim Coleman, and lost last year to Danny Garcia by split decision.
Source

The Aluminum Falcon

That could be a good one but I thought Holt looked terrible in the Garcia fight.

Versive

Post by Versive »

dope, thanks

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Let's get it on! :copy:

Req

Post by Req »

Wladimir Klitschko vs Mariusz Wach
http://www.boxingguru.eu/gurutv1.html

good stream so far
F.U. MOOLAH

Req

Post by Req »

Wach's punching is pretty good but Vlad's D and counters are unfuckwitable.
F.U. MOOLAH

ADR

Post by ADR »

Saturday, November 17
HBO / Main Event PPV (Australia)
Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, New Jersey

WBC lightweight title
Adrien Broner vs Antonio DeMarco, lightweights, 12 rounds

WBC semifinal eliminator
Seth Mitchell vs Johnathon Banks, heavyweights, 12 rounds
---

ADR

Post by ADR »

Saturday, November 24
HBO
Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario, California

Interim WBC title
Robert Guerrero vs Andre Berto, welterweights, 12 rounds

Keith Thurman vs Carlos Quintana, catchweight (152 lbs.), 10 rounds

DLG

Post by DLG »

you guys didn't see this about camacho? or maybe I missed it

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/86 ... uerto-rico

The Aluminum Falcon

DLG wrote:you guys didn't see this about camacho? or maybe I missed it

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/86 ... uerto-rico
Yeah. I just figured with an average of like 4 boxers getting shot/stabbed/paralyzed/dying per month it was pretty much commonplace at this point.

RIP Camacho

The Aluminum Falcon

El Rey wrote:Saturday, November 24
HBO
Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario, California

Interim WBC title
Robert Guerrero vs Andre Berto, welterweights, 12 rounds

Keith Thurman vs Carlos Quintana, catchweight (152 lbs.), 10 rounds
I really think The Ghost is going to beat Berto down in this one. I haven't seen much of Thurman but he seems like a fun fighter to watch.

Also, earlier tomorrow Hatton is attempting to make a comeback against Senchenko after a few years of retirement.

Btw, last weekend's fights were great. Broner is the real deal. Viloria Marquez was a great fight. Froch did what he had and that final body shot was :ohsh: . And it sucks to see Mitchell get exposed like that but it was cool that the underdog, Banks, was a Kronk fighter and is the guy who has actually stepped in and now trains Wlad in Steward's absence.