Bernard Hopkins Appreciation Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Bernard Hopkins Appreciation Thread

Post by Reason »

no frills, no pretty boy bullshit, no faggotry

the exeutioner re-set his record for oldest boxing champ ever...he is 48

I APPRECIATE THIS MAN
Nets 2022

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Bernard Hopkins Appreciation Thread

Post by Philaflava »

best fighter since :ironmike: . tons and tons of respect needs to be shown.

mud

Post by mud »

Respect.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

dubs

Post by dubs »

Did anybody watch this fight?

B-Hop embarrassed Cloud at various points in the fight. It was amazing to watch to anyone who appreciates boxing on a technical level. His timing and movement seem to be an impossible puzzle to solve. Hopkins was able to make another younger, undefeated champion, look foolish in the ring. Cloud was missing hooks wildly, at one point Lampley made a comment like "by the time Cloud throws his hook, Bernard is in another borough somewhere".

The ref jerked Hopkins in the 4th or 5th round, ruling a cut on Cloud's eye was caused by an accidental headbutt, when the replay clearly showed it was caused by a clean left hook. This was a big mistake, which thankfully didn't effect the outcome. Other than this one instance i thought the ref handled the fight pretty well.

After the fight i felt almost the same as after the Pavlik fight. The difference being i don't feel this was a career ending fight for Cloud, just a thorough schooling. History being made nonetheless.

Respek.
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Bernard was so precise throughout the 12 rounds I was mesmerized. He is such an intelligent boxer with amazing control and uncanny speed at his age. You're right from a technical standpoint, it didn't get any better.

B-Hops might not ever get his due, but in time, his legacy will truly be appreciated. He is the last of a dying breed. Not since Roy Jones can I think of a boxer with longevity and dominate and the fact he is doing this at 48 makes me put him at the top of the list for most dominating boxer of our times.

dubs

Post by dubs »

Philaflava wrote:Bernard was so precise throughout the 12 rounds I was mesmerized. He is such an intelligent boxer with amazing control and uncanny speed at his age. You're right from a technical standpoint, it didn't get any better.

B-Hops might not ever get his due, but in time, his legacy will truly be appreciated. He is the last of a dying breed. Not since Roy Jones can I think of a boxer with longevity and dominate and the fact he is doing this at 48 makes me put him at the top of the list for most dominating boxer of our times.
RJJ is/was/always will be my favorite fighter. He should have hung em up after Tarver. His legacy would look alot different than it does now. Such is the fate of many great boxers.

Hopkins isnt just beating contenders, he is dominating champions. Not with raw power, aggression, or high output, simply with intelligence. I think its fair to say he was in RJJ's shadow for years. Even though for years Jones was beating up tomato cans. When you look at guys like RJJ and James Toney, then look at Hopkins, clearly he is winning in the long run. It is almost painful to listen to a Toney conversation anymore. He is barely able to put a coherent thought together. RJJ had his noggin rattled enough in the end of his career, to the point im sure it will have a negative effect on him. I've caught him slurring a few times. Hopkins is still breaking records that matter.
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Hopkins knows how to make 'em miss that's for sure. Probably the reason why he is in top shape today. He rarely puts himself in a position to get hurt.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I only saw small part of last fight, but the fight he beat Pascal was some of the most impressive boxing I have seen in a LONG time.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Probably the best defensive and most tactical fighter along with mayweather that I've seen. But peak for peak he's not better than Roy Jones Jr or has even had a better career. RJJR beat Hopkins with a broken hand in their youth.

Defense and mind prowess is the last thing to go for. Fighter so I'm not that surprised at what Hopkins is doing

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

RJJ fought way more bums and declined rapidly. You can't say the same for B-Hops. He never ducked no one or took BS filler fights.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Career: Hopkins > RJJ
Peak: RJJ > Hopkins

Both by a good amount too.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i agree

but each passing day hopkins legacy is starting to taint RJJ.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Roy jones dominated for over 10 years. It's not that he fought bums its that he was that much better than everyone he fought. Sure Hopkins fought some big names but most of them were on there way out. For the last 8 years him or the weight classes he's fought in has been irrelevant.

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

Hopkins is a FIGHTER. He's a great boxer too, but he's a FIGHTER> Roy had a higher peak, but Hopkins is a fucking warrior, and will fight anyone, anywhere. Hopkins would never lose to Calzaghe the way Roy did.

Here's another huge Hopkins fan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F33m8Fk1HyY

mud

Post by mud »

Hopkins beat Calazaghe and would have won by a landslide in the rematch.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

Before Tito Trinidad who did hop really beat. He stayed in one division and never moved. It's like the mayweather pacquio scenario, he wanted 50/50 split to fight Rjj in their primes, when clearly Roy was the much bigger draw. Roy even offered numerous time's winner takes 60/40 and Hop turned it down. Many of hops big wins have been against fighters that where on their way out like, de la Hoya, jones, winky wright. I do think he won that calzage fight and IMO his best win was against Pavlik.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

naturalborn103 wrote:Career: Hopkins > RJJ
Peak: RJJ > Hopkins

Both by a good amount too.
let's not pretend that rjj dominated hopkins...he made hopkins look bad, moreso than any other opponent, but hopkins got some in too and that knockdown was not on some marquez or hagler or etc. shit
Nets 2022