2014-15 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103

Re: 2014-15 NBA Off-Season Thread

Post by naturalborn103 »

Reason wrote:The Cavaliers and new coach David Blatt have stated privately and publicly that they would not deal Wiggins.

New coach David Blatt refuted the notion Cleveland would part with No. 1 draft pick Andrew Wiggins, above, in a deal for Kevin Love.
"That's why they call them rumors," Blatt said after a 96-90 Cavaliers loss to the Rockets that ended Cleveland's stint at the Las Vegas Summer League on Thursday night. "Sooner or later, in one's career, you're going have to deal with it. So if he has to deal with it now, then so be it. It's the summer league. He's learning everything as he goes along."

please let david blatt run shit, PLEASE
I think it is telling Wiggins hasn't signed his rookie contract yet. Once that happens he can not be traded for 30 days.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

naturalborn103 wrote:
Reason wrote:The Cavaliers and new coach David Blatt have stated privately and publicly that they would not deal Wiggins.

New coach David Blatt refuted the notion Cleveland would part with No. 1 draft pick Andrew Wiggins, above, in a deal for Kevin Love.
"That's why they call them rumors," Blatt said after a 96-90 Cavaliers loss to the Rockets that ended Cleveland's stint at the Las Vegas Summer League on Thursday night. "Sooner or later, in one's career, you're going have to deal with it. So if he has to deal with it now, then so be it. It's the summer league. He's learning everything as he goes along."

I think it is telling Wiggins hasn't signed his rookie contract yet. Once that happens he can not be traded for 30 days.
Also, the Cavs have put off all of his post game interviews by saying he had to go to autograph sessions first. It's been really weird. The Cavs suck at this shit.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:

Also, the Cavs have put off all of his post game interviews by saying he had to go to autograph sessions first. It's been really weird. The Cavs suck at this shit.

yes to both of these statements. how do we read into it? i'm usually good at coming up with reasonable assumptions and i'm GREAT at thinking i have come up with a reasonable assumption :-p

but i can't call it. i'm thinking that lebron wants love but also respects wiggins and his possible ability to extend bron's career/winning ways after bron's prime is over. but yea i'm thinking he sees the 2 year deal and wants love to win a title with him and if he does, he might leave again, and if he doesn't, he will re-sign one more time? even typing that last sentence made me want to take a tylenol. i'm thinking gilbert mildly wants to keep wiggins because he's an insurance policy against lebron leaving in a couple years. the only thing i know for sure b/c it has been reported and because it has come from the mouth of the man himself is that blatt loves wiggins and doesn't want to part with him and sees all the basketball value/potential in him and wants to coach it.
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch

i'm pretty sure lebron signed a two year deal because the players are going to strike in two years to get a new CBA when the new TV contract kicks in then. I don't think Lebron intends on leaving Cleveland ever again. It would make no sense going back there this year if he was only signing a two year deal if that were the case.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

LeBron leaving again would absolutely destroy his image. Most logical explanation I've seen for the 2 year contract is the upcoming TV deals.
While it's not guaranteed the cap will be raised its great to leave yourself an out to capitalize on a even larger contract.
As far as the option to opt out after 1, it allows the Cavs to sign any potential free agents next season. LeBron would opt out and resign a 1 year deal for less.

I still think in the long run trading Wiggins and whatever young players packaged will hurt the Cavs. LeBron could potentially play for 10 more years, obviously that's just hyperbole cause most players see a decline after 30 but this dude has never had a major injury. While he may not be able to carry a team like he does now he still could be very effective I mean look at Tim Duncan.

Trying to rush into a championship could work but I mean a team with Kyrie, Love, and LeBron only sounds appealing cause of LeBron.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:i'm pretty sure lebron signed a two year deal because the players are going to strike in two years to get a new CBA when the new TV contract kicks in then. I don't think Lebron intends on leaving Cleveland ever again. It would make no sense going back there this year if he was only signing a two year deal if that were the case.
no no i knew that, but obviously it doesn't hide the fact that he still has that option and it's something both he and gilbert HAVE to (human nature) consider
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^
yea ramen, that is why he only signed 2 years, because in a couple years the salary cap gets increaSED And his $$$ goes up
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch

I mean, I think it's the sort of thing every clevelander considers. they get happy that they got lebron back and then get into panic mode because he only signed a two year deal. if that is the mindstate that is causing love hysteria within the organization, then it makes sense. it's also a organization that is probably doomed to fail but won't because they lucked into getting lebron back because the team happens to be in his home state.

Gregg Popabitch

http://www.theonion.com/articles/breaki ... :1:Default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The onion stays killing it.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Well Kevin Love is a top 10 player in the L right now, Wiggins can be but we don't know, the only reason I would hesitate is because it seems difficult going forward to have 3 max players with the new CBA.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:Well Kevin Love is a top 10 player in the L right now, Wiggins can be but we don't know, the only reason I would hesitate is because it seems difficult going forward to have 3 max players with the new CBA.
is kevin love REALLY a top 10 player though?

:killacam:

he doesn't protect the rim and has never carried the twolves to the playoffs even as an 8th seed (in contrast to guys like KG)

2013-14 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 40 42 .488 3 3.10 97.3 3.4 108.9 2.2 106.2 -0.5 R. Adelman
2012-13 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 31 51 .378 5 -1.83 92.8 0.8 102.9 -3.0 105.4 -0.5 R. Adelman
2011-12 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 26 40 .394 5 -1.83 93.3 2.0 104.3 -0.3 106.6 2.0 R. Adelman
2010-11 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 17 65 .207 5 -5.97 96.5 4.4 104.2 -3.1 111.1 3.8 K. Rambis
2009-10 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 15 67 .183 5 -9.06 96.1 3.4 101.7 -5.9 111.6 4.0 K. Rambis
2008-09 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 24 58 .293 4 -4.74 91.6 -0.1 106.1 -2.2 111.4 3.1 R. Wittman

(for the record i do think he's a top 10 player b/c i give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of how shitty his roster/teammates have been over the years, i.e. he never had a young steph marbury or cassell)
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Tweak Da Leak wrote: it seems difficult going forward to have 3 max players with the new CBA.

this
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Not all maxs are created equal. Irving steps his D up and salary cap goes way up he could be great value.

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

put wiggins on those twolves teams and do they make the playoffs?
i think it's more likely his development would probably be so fucked his career would be over.

r233

Post by r233 »

Positive A wrote:
r233 wrote:Whats the best place to download old (or new) NBA games?
Don't know how "new" you're looking for, but this site is okay. (Ive used it for soccer shit, but it always has NBA stuff)

http://www.rojadirecta.me/
:borksign: Thanks great site!
What if 87 never happened?

Req

Post by Req »

did the Wolves really just turn down Wiggins, Bennett and a 1st rounder for Love?

KEL, SOURCEZ.
F.U. MOOLAH

Gregg Popabitch

Reason wrote:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:Well Kevin Love is a top 10 player in the L right now, Wiggins can be but we don't know, the only reason I would hesitate is because it seems difficult going forward to have 3 max players with the new CBA.
is kevin love REALLY a top 10 player though?

:killacam:

he doesn't protect the rim and has never carried the twolves to the playoffs even as an 8th seed (in contrast to guys like KG)

2013-14 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 40 42 .488 3 3.10 97.3 3.4 108.9 2.2 106.2 -0.5 R. Adelman
2012-13 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 31 51 .378 5 -1.83 92.8 0.8 102.9 -3.0 105.4 -0.5 R. Adelman
2011-12 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 26 40 .394 5 -1.83 93.3 2.0 104.3 -0.3 106.6 2.0 R. Adelman
2010-11 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 17 65 .207 5 -5.97 96.5 4.4 104.2 -3.1 111.1 3.8 K. Rambis
2009-10 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 15 67 .183 5 -9.06 96.1 3.4 101.7 -5.9 111.6 4.0 K. Rambis
2008-09 NBA Minnesota Timberwolves 24 58 .293 4 -4.74 91.6 -0.1 106.1 -2.2 111.4 3.1 R. Wittman

(for the record i do think he's a top 10 player b/c i give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of how shitty his roster/teammates have been over the years, i.e. he never had a young steph marbury or cassell)
KG was a top 5 guy at the very least though.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

was playing hoops at the park and noticed that all the kids are wearing knee high cartoon socks. its fucking hot outside but the swag is ridiculous. then I saw zach Lavine's shoes as he was tearing up the summer league

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Gregg Popabitch

Req wrote:did the Wolves really just turn down Wiggins, Bennett and a 1st rounder for Love?

KEL, SOURCEZ.
I heard about too and I hope not. That's a great catch for Love imo.

A nucleus of:

C- Pek/Dieng
PF- Bennett
SF- Wiggins
SG- Lavine
PG- Rubio

is interesting to me. But considering the fact that Minnesota has had horrible management and the fact that they haven't been able to develop players other than their studs who were going to be studs anyways for years makes me depressed.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

the wolves have new management now. flip is doing what any smart person would do and use the cleveland deal to leverage another team (warriors) to up their offer. Flip has never had the chance to coach Love and I feel there is a part of him who wants too. Also, getting a bunch of young unproven players is taking a step back from 40 wins in the western conference so Flip covets a proven commodity in Klay than what Cleveland can offer.

i wish the Cavs would have selected Nolens last year because that would be dope as I dont care for anthony bennett at all

an-also

Post by an-also »

Why is wiggins playing summer league without a signed contract? What if he shreds his knee?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

neither wiggins or bennett played last night. i saw them sitting there talking closely to each other :gossip:

...BUT Cleveland just said they were limiting Wiggins to four games, that they are close to signing him, and that he hasn't been offered in a deal.

Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL wrote:the wolves have new management now. flip is doing what any smart person would do and use the cleveland deal to leverage another team (warriors) to up their offer. Flip has never had the chance to coach Love and I feel there is a part of him who wants too. Also, getting a bunch of young unproven players is taking a step back from 40 wins in the western conference so Flip covets a proven commodity in Klay than what Cleveland can offer.

i wish the Cavs would have selected Nolens last year because that would be dope as I dont care for anthony bennett at all
Disagree with all except for one thing.

I think Flip really wants to see if he can turn the Love/Minny sitch into the Aldridge/Portland sitch of last year. If they do real well and get a 5th or 6th seed, maybe Love changes his mind and stays. I feel like Love doesn't care anymore though. But that's my opinion.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Thompson is a spot up shooter who has been pretty disappointing in pretty much everything else on offensive side. He is good on D, but seems like Wiggins is not that far behind and has potential to be one of best wing defenders in the league. Add on Wiggins on rookie contract compared to Thompson who about to be restricted free agent who prob going to get a max deal, I don't get why you would want Thompson over Wiggins.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Think it was someone here. But why not play bron and wiggins together for half a season and then trade for love if they don't like how it's working.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

While some executives in Golden State are willing to part with Thompson, the club's overall stance has been that he will not be traded.

There is also a feeling around the league that Minnesota is attempting to drive up the price for Love by having the Cavs and Warriors compete for the deal.

^^
i am starting to buy into that. maybe (sorry pb) twolves are just baiting gstate to give up klay (actually why would they do that)

this whole thing is headache-inducing

#DONOTTRADEWIGGINS
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

naturalborn103 wrote:Thompson is a spot up shooter who has been pretty disappointing in pretty much everything else on offensive side. He is good on D, but seems like Wiggins is not that far behind and has potential to be one of best wing defenders in the league. Add on Wiggins on rookie contract compared to Thompson who about to be restricted free agent who prob going to get a max deal, I don't get why you would want Thompson over Wiggins.
Mostly because of my gay love for Michael Thompson #skiumah. Srsly tho, Klay is proven whereas we still don't know what type of pro Wiggins will be. Can you guranatee he'll be an all star?

The more I watch Zach Lavine the more I'm convinced we already have a Klay Thompson

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

...doesnt matter anyway because the deal is already done

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

capable_keL wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Thompson is a spot up shooter who has been pretty disappointing in pretty much everything else on offensive side. He is good on D, but seems like Wiggins is not that far behind and has potential to be one of best wing defenders in the league. Add on Wiggins on rookie contract compared to Thompson who about to be restricted free agent who prob going to get a max deal, I don't get why you would want Thompson over Wiggins.
Mostly because of my gay love for Michael Thompson #skiumah. Srsly tho, Klay is proven whereas we still don't know what type of pro Wiggins will be. Can you guranatee he'll be an all star?

The more I watch Zach Lavine the more I'm convinced we already have a Klay Thompson
You are right about WIggins, he isn't proven, but how proven is Klay? He is also very far from a all star and I doubt ever will be. Even if he goes East it would be real tough. I know you don't love advanced stats, but he has never had PER of 15 or better. For someone who is so well known for their offense that is not great at all. He can't create on his own, not good at driving off of people closing too fast, not good at finishing, and doesn't draw enough fouls. Honestly, what is his ceiling? Because he isn't that young either. I also just read he is already demanding a max contract. Would you rather that then take a chance on Wiggins who could turn out to be a bust, but also has the athleticism to turn into one of best players in the NBA (on first year of rookie contract)?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Someone who has some connection to GS management told me that Kerr does not like Love at all and considers him a terrible locker room guy. He said Bob Myers wants to make the deal with Thompson, but Lacob sided with Kerr. No idea how credible this is, but he also told me a while before it came out that Lacob hated Jackson and was going to fire him first chance he got.