2014 Fantasy Baseball Index

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Kid That's Lifeless

Re: 2014 Fantasy Baseball Index

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I guess I should specify that my draft strategy was go cheap on closers. That ended up being Jose Veras and Nate Jones. Awesome stuff.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote: Worst:

Keeper League Jr. The whole thing.
how many points are you behind me now? last month it was 2 points :gyeah:

:cas:
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

capable_keL wrote:why won't you be in a league with us tho? Is it cuz ur too popular?
Ha. I generally try to keep just one team, which is why I've been focusing on this other league. But I'll play next year

PEACE

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

capable_keL wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote: Worst:

Keeper League Jr. The whole thing.
how many points are you behind me now? last month it was 2 points :gyeah:

:cas:
8.5 fuuuuuuuu

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

how humiliating for you

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Traded Pedroia for Cain & Haren today because I'm fucking desperate for starting pitching

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

There's usually decent pitching in FA. Is it that bad in your league?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

alpha wrote:There's usually decent pitching in FA. Is it that bad in your league?
Its brutal. We have huge rosters so the only dudes that are available are like Danny Duffy and Charlie Morton

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Hypothetical trade/values:
Max scherzer
Cargo from Colorado
Ellsbury
Chris Davis
Wil Myers
????

I've ran by a potential trade between two people that I respect and got way diff opinions.
Cargo for scherzer. One said cargo was worth a lot more than max and the other said max should fetch more back. Context is roto 5x5. Thoughts???

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The time is to buy-low on Cargo as he is an automatic 20/20 even in injury plagued years. Despite which fantasy guru you respect, most will agree Cargo is a top 10 players.

From today.
Austin (Springfield)

I've got an owner willing to trade me Bumgardner and Melky for Cargo and Minor. I have a stacked outfield and lead my league in SB without the help of Cargo. Is this a deal you'd do?
Eric Karabell (11:05 AM)
Not really. I like Minor, too. Perhaps he's not Bumgarner, but he's not far off. And I don't see Melky hitting for much power or running and even if Carlos Gonzalez does need a DL stint, he's gone 20/20 four consec years. He's trustworthy.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

alpha wrote:Hypothetical trade/values:
Max scherzer
Cargo from Colorado
Ellsbury
Chris Davis
Wil Myers
????

I've ran by a potential trade between two people that I respect and got way diff opinions.
Cargo for scherzer. One said cargo was worth a lot more than max and the other said max should fetch more back. Context is roto 5x5. Thoughts???
Not sure exactly what you mean in terms of quantifying value, but I'll just rank 'em:
1. Ellsbury
2. Scherzer

3. Cargo

4. Myers

5. Davis

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Philaflava wrote:The time is to buy-low on Cargo as he is an automatic 20/20 even in injury plagued years. Despite which fantasy guru you respect, most will agree Cargo is a top 10 players.

From today.
Austin (Springfield)

I've got an owner willing to trade me Bumgardner and Melky for Cargo and Minor. I have a stacked outfield and lead my league in SB without the help of Cargo. Is this a deal you'd do?
Eric Karabell (11:05 AM)
Not really. I like Minor, too. Perhaps he's not Bumgarner, but he's not far off. And I don't see Melky hitting for much power or running and even if Carlos Gonzalez does need a DL stint, he's gone 20/20 four consec years. He's trustworthy.
I'm not disputing his ranking man, just that he's way ahead of max seems crazy. Max gets you 4/5 categories at a high level.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Cargo does too, usually. But for only 100 games a year

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Just swapped Cain, Belt & Koji for JHey, Cespedes & Homer Bailey. Do fantastic throws from the outfield count for points in standard roto leagues?

PEACE

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

peanut butter wrote:
alpha wrote:Hypothetical trade/values:
Max scherzer
Cargo from Colorado
Ellsbury
Chris Davis
Wil Myers
????

Not sure exactly what you mean in terms of quantifying value, but I'll just rank 'em:
1. Ellsbury
2. Scherzer

3. Cargo

4. Myers

5. Davis

PEACE
If it's not a keeper league, I'll take davis over Myers. if it is a keeper league, davis is last and myers is third imo.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

those new yahoo add/drop features are kinda slick

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Going into next season, do you take Tulo over any of the following players? If so, where would you slot him in?

1. Trout
2. Miggy
3. Goldschmidt
4. McCutchen
5. Gomez
6. Stanton
7. Puig
8. Kershaw
9. Cano
10. Felix

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I would certainly still take him over Puig, who doesn't belong on any top 10 list yet. Not enough power yet, doesn't run bases well. I don't take a player in the first round based on hype. Not saying he might not get there yet, but there are too many sure things available in the first round. He's a late second rounder to me.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

That's fine. I think he's a first round talent. He's on pace to finish the year with about 20 homers, 90 runs, 80 RBIs, and hit .300, which is nearly what McCutchen did last year when he won the MVP (biggest difference is the 20 SB advantage for Cutch, which you noted). But for the sake of debate, you could swap Puig out of that slot and drop in whoever you'd like: Abreu, Adam Jones, Joey Bats, Sale, Wainwright, etc. The question still stands: is Tulo a top 10 fantasy pick next season?

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Taveras for wheeler is that an even trade in keeper?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Without knowing context, I generally prefer bats to arms by a pretty considerable margin. So I generally try to avoid doing one batter for one pitcher deals. Especially with how fragile young pitchers seem to be right now. That said, Wheeler has been pretty good for the second half of the season, while Tavares still hasn't shown much ability to hit in the majors yet. So I'd probably do it, if I was getting Tavares back. But if Wheeler can stretch out his starts past 6 innings to rack up a few more K's and knock some points off that WHIP, he's gonna be a real nice fantasy pitcher.

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah Tavares has been billed as a sure thing hitting prospect but so was Jesus Montero. I'd probably still want the Oscar side but Wheeler is at least producing value right now.
He's striking out a batter an inning which is great. He just needs to stop walking so many goddamn people and he'll make the Giants really regret trading him.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Tommy Bunz wrote: he'll make the Giants really regret trading him.
Too late bro. He'd be the second best starter on the team right now.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Yeah Tavares has been billed as a sure thing hitting prospect but so was Jesus Montero. I'd probably still want the Oscar side but Wheeler is at least producing value right now.
He's striking out a batter an inning which is great. He just needs to stop walking so many goddamn people and he'll make the Giants really regret trading him.
Satchel Paige has been on my jock all year for wheeler. He offered Tavares then rescinded it a few mins later.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

If things go right for the Mets (they wont), they could have a nice rotation in a couple years: Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard & Montero. Of course all of them will break, if they haven't already, and nothing good will come of this. But its a nice thought

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I still think they should try to stretch out Mieja and put him back in the rotation too. And Niese and Gee are solid back of the rotation types.