Tanking/76ers

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Are 76ers Wrong?

Yes. Detrimental to the league and bad sportsmanship.
20%
No. Fun to see someone try to compete in a different way.
45%
Don't like it, but can't blame them for doing it.
35%

Total votes: 20

naturalborn103

Tanking/76ers

Post by naturalborn103 »

Lowe is reporting the lottery odds could be drastically changing in the next year so you won't be guaranteed good picks for tanking. Most people agree this is due to majority of the league being mad about the 76ers current strategy. What is general opinion here on tanking and what 76ers are doing?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Tanking/76ers

Post by Philaflava »

I think a lot of teams do this, it's just that the Sixers are kinda open about it. They aren't misleading anyone, especially the fans. It's frustrating as a fan, but the let down is a lot better than pretending to be something you're not and sugar coating shit for 82 games. But I like the new rule because it keeps everyone honest, or as honest as you can be.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

NBA has pretty much the worst parity of all major sports. Why fight for an 8 seed when you're missing out on a chance to get a franchise-changing player? Ask a Milwaukee Bucks fan how that has worked out for them.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Philaflava wrote:I think a lot of teams do this, it's just that the Sixers are kinda open about it. They aren't misleading anyone, especially the fans. It's frustrating as a fan, but the let down is a lot better than pretending to be something you're not and sugar coating shit for 82 games. But I like the new rule because it keeps everyone honest, or as honest as you can be.
A lot of teams tank, but I don't remember any team doing a multi-year tank strategy and going so hard at it (Drafting Noel, Embiid, Saric, and Hinkie only ONCE signing someone for above minimum) quite like the 76ers.

I personally don't mind and think it is very interesting to see what will come out of it. I also have give the owner huge amount of credit for giving Hinkie the keys and going for it all instead of making sure hes making a profit every year. As a fan much rather that then Pelicans type of owner.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If they were tanking just because of low sales or they see no pot at the end of the rainbow, then I would be livid. But it's a game plan that should keep them competitive for some time, it'll just take a few years to get there. Why spend $ signing guys just to continue to be mediocre? I like what Hinkie is doing and think his intentions are genuine and has the fans in mind.

ric

Post by ric »

I voted that it is absolutely an acceptable part of a sport. As a player of games if the team is honestly doing it as part of a strategy then I'm all for it. And if they are going to do this they might as well tell their fans to set the proper expectations

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I think its fine. I'd rather see a team essentially forfeit a season than go out and buy overpriced mediocre talent on the free agent market in order to get swept by an elite team in the first round of the playoffs. In the NBA, championships are built through the draft. The Sixers are waiting for their opportunity to draft the next Jordan/Olajuwon/Robinson/Duncan/Lebron, and aren't willing to pay Al Jefferson $15 million a year to hurt those odds. I think thats smart. Not to mention, they've seemingly added some nice pieces in the draft over the past few years. MCW is a capable NBA player, Noel looks to have potential and Embiid was the best player in college last year before his injury. I can see why the league doesn't want to condone tanking because of the way it looks, but I appreciate the process.

PEACE

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I don't have much to contribute other than I'm all for the 76'ers doing it and wished the Phillies would follow suit.

Also, feel obligated to point out that Gloss shamelessly tanked in one of our :phila: baseball leagues this year just so he could get the first pick next year.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I did and I would do it again if I was closer to the bottom than the top.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I think as long as its en vogue to hire data guys with experience on Wall Street who dont come from a sports background, the trend will continue this way. Front offices are looking more and more at players as assets in a stock portfolio than guys who have some qualitative abilities that allow them to succeed in sports. And unless leagues are going to take action that disincentive this type of experiment, smart front offices will continue to employee it.

PEACE

ric

Post by ric »

@peanutbutter
Well said boss
:cheers:

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Do you guys think the players can easily snap out of losing year after year?

ric

Post by ric »

@ramen
The focus will be on self improvement and self examination. Theoretically problem solved. Bigger problem might be getting guys to put forth next level effort and establish habits when management is basically saying 'you guys suck and that's the plan'. It's a strange thing for somebody to trust anything coming from management at that point and the relationship gets messed up and then productivity is possibly effected from that point forward.

However I will say that players are aware of team building strategies but whether they buy in as individuals is up for grabs and whether the teammates will trust each other is also up for grabs and then when you've fostered that kind of environment how do you then successfully pull your guys out of the mire when it's like 'ok now we expect you to win'

alpha

Post by alpha »

6ers already gonna be stacked. But this next draft will is pretty sick too

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

If you have a slave auction as part of your sport then tanking has to be a part of your sport. If you don't want tanking in your sport then get rid of the slave auction. Notice no one tanks in college sports where players can choose where they go.

The problem is not enough teams are trying to tank. If you don't have a realistic chance of winning the championship then tank. If you are doing anything different you are actively hurting your team.

alpha

Post by alpha »

ThaJim2 wrote:If you have a slave auction as part of your sport then tanking has to be a part of your sport. If you don't want tanking in your sport then get rid of the slave auction. Notice no one tanks in college sports where players can choose where they go.
yeah bro the allure of college sluts, amenities, winning, and getting prepped to be a pro is totally more pure.

ric

Post by ric »

ThaJim2 wrote:The problem is not enough teams are trying to tank. If you don't have a realistic chance of winning the championship then tank. If you are doing anything different you are actively hurting your team.
Totally disagree. You have to develop your players ability to execute and you can't do that if you purposely suck. Even if you theoretically get them to do what you want they will be mechanical as fuck at doing it if you tell them to do it in say suboptimal situations in order to lose. It's like you are creating whole other barriers for them to break through once you want them to 'wake up'

I guess theoretically you could intentionally act stupid like you want them to do something obviously or not obviously suboptimal but then don't you run a huge risk at losing your players attention a la Greg schiano?

All that said it is a legit strategy I just disagree that you must tank if you aren't gonna get there and just think those Nyg teams would not have gone to the superbowl at all if they believed in tanking

But also it seems more viable for a sport like basketball where there are 5 of 12 individuals on the floor each playing a more isolated game. If you were a football team you would be fucking yourself for years

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

easy picking #3 for me
Nets 2022

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

the NBA has always been defined by the top 3-4 players in the league. its very rare that a team that wins a title doesn't have one

last year Spurs, 04 Pistons only teams in the last 30yrs to do it, and getting rosters like they have requires you to convince people to take 1/2 market value and getting super lucky with a mid-first round pick

ric

Post by ric »

I started tanking one of my fantasy seasons (dynasty league) a few weeks ago. my opponent this week is a co-commish for the league (there are two and they do a good job together but wouldn't separately) so he noticed that I played Chris Polk and riley Cooper and he was like 'really?' and I was like 'yeah operation tank the season is well under way'. now he's posted something on the league board sort of complaining sort of feeling the temperature of the other bros.

just writing out what's happening in my own tank experience. no one else seems to care. they seem to either think I'm weak or they think it's a legit strategy.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I traded Alex Wood to RZN for Rafael fucking Soriano in Keeper Jr when I should have tanked the season after an abominable first two months. Fucking hell.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

I have no problem with it. You should be able to run your franchise as you wish when it comes to building your roster. It's definitely a viable strategy but anyone who has ever had to step into a management position where a culture of failure and mediocrity has become acceptable for an extended period of time knows it's hard to get people back on track, even talented people. It's a viable yet risky strategy. It's hard to think of a decent number teams who have done this for an extended period of time and came out the other side like the 6ers are trying to do.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i still dont see any proof of tanking.

if they are tanking they have done a horrible job at gathering assets.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

alpha

Post by alpha »

capable_keL wrote:
if they are tanking they have done a horrible job at gathering assets.
:fail:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

are you a big MCW & Noel fan? Are they an Embiid away from being a big 3?
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Well dude, they're pretty good on 2k so it's gotta pan out right?